Pics of fixing my race bodywork - 600RR.net
Pictures & Video/Sound Clips Post up your pictures, videos and sound clips here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pics of fixing my race bodywork

Thought I would post up some pics I took this week of the fiberglass work I'm doing to my Hotbodies and Cheetah bodywork pieces.

Since the stock hotbodies upper comes cut for a race windscreen, and I -- being the cheap bastid I am -- didn't want to shell out for a new screen and get stuck w/ 2 I can't use. So I made a cheap mold from a Quik Trip 32oz cup and formed up fiberglass for the 3rd light hole. It's not perfect, and there is a small 1mm gap between the glass and windscreen, but its good enough for gov't work.

Another look at the upper. Everything has been sanded w/ 150 and 400 grit, and is as smooth as ever. Now it's onto bondo

I originally cut 2 mounting holes to size so they'd fit *over* the stock mounts on the stock fairing stay.. big mistake.. looked like crap, fit like crap, etc.. so I hotglued some washers on the inside, and refiberglassed both holes. Then I drilled out the top one so the fairing would sit flush on top of the fairing stay.. looks/fits much better now

The spare cheetah lower I aquired (thx brent :)) had mismatched mounting holes.. I wanted to make all of my pieces be able to fit with all other pieces, so I am reglassing all the glass-to-glass mounting holes on my spare stuff and will redrill them to match my new stuff

Another view of the cheetah lower.. not too wild about this red stuff that was previously used, as it was flimsy and peeled away, but I got most of it off with my sanding bit on my dremel

there was a quarter-sized crack in the right side of the lower that i had to cut away to get flat again and repatch

Small crack in the cheetah tank piece, I'll fix ths from the inside first

My patch job on the inside of the tank cover seemed to work, thankfully, because it was the last of my resin and I really didnt feel like mixing more for such a small piece.

Thats where I am so far, those two pieces are drying, and I will start shaving/sanding and prepping the outside to finish the patches tonight or tomorrow. Anyone with any fiberglassing tips feel free to post, as this is my 2nd attempt at glass (the first being my pocketbike, and lemme tell ya, fiberglassing ABS doesnt work the same :)).

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice work, makes me wish I had a bigger shop to spread out in.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Moto GP Racer

from the looks of it, it looks like you're using the non-weave fiberglass. one thing that might make things a bit easer the next time around is to use the pre-woven fiber. it will allow you to use less resin, not to mention it's much easier to work with... you can get the pre-woven stuff at wal-mart or any auto parts store...

Tony Wang
CMRA\CCS #206

www.myspace.com/twang1978
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-madness
from the looks of it, it looks like you're using the non-weave fiberglass. one thing that might make things a bit easer the next time around is to use the pre-woven fiber. it will allow you to use less resin, not to mention it's much easier to work with... you can get the pre-woven stuff at wal-mart or any auto parts store...
From the places I've looked, you can get two things.. fiberglass cloth, and fiberglass mat. I use the mat, and yah, its woven together so unless there's something thats even better :).. I have never used the cloth tho so it may be good enough for surface repairs.

The mat I use tho is definately woven, and tends to come apart a bit when im spreading around the resin. Another reason I end up w/ a little more resin on the edges is that I use my finger in a latex glove as opposed to a brush :)

-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

Thanks for the pics and info, I had to repair some bodywork of mine and filled some holes as you did. I used some filler/adhesive from a company called Urethane Supply Company specifically for flexible plastic/fiberglass. I found the Bondo too rigid and it cracked in some places that I repaired that needed to flex.

I have HotBodies also, those plastics are so cheapie :)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt
Thanks for the pics and info, I had to repair some bodywork of mine and filled some holes as you did. I used some filler/adhesive from a company called Urethane Supply Company specifically for flexible plastic/fiberglass. I found the Bondo too rigid and it cracked in some places that I repaired that needed to flex.

You had problems with the bondo resin cracking/being too rigid huh.. I have yet to have any issues with it, but haven't really stress-tested it just yet.

-
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt

Where you get that stuff from Urethane Supply Company?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I did the same repairs to my sharkskinz,filled in the light hole too. I did repairs tot he upper, tank, lower and the tail. Sanding was the bitch of this job. I had the tiny splinters in my skin for days. Laying out the fiberglass and resin wasn't as hard as I thought. I can't tell you how satisfied I felt when I finished it all. It was a lot of work to do myself but in the end I was happy. But I can tell you though, if I had the extra dough I'd bring it to a repair shop next time to do the full restore job from repair to paint.

IG: moto_neil
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

chkaotic,
Yeah, bondo was too rigid. The Hotbodies fiberglass is really thin also so the plastic epoxy I got worked great.

AlpineJim,
Check out the Flex-Filler 2 product here: http://www.urethanesupply.com/storeepoxy.html

The president of that company came out with a book titled "How to Repair Plastic Bodywork" that is very detailed in explaining how to identify plastics, the background, and how to repair them along with what materials/tools to use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...books&v=glance

There are several companies that he cites but I figured why not go to the source. It ended up working great and I highly recommend both the product and book.

Coyote,
I definitely agree with you. It's great to learn, I'm glad I know it because I can do minor repairs on my own, but if I had the money also, I would definitely get someone else to do the repair. I just had a low side last Saturday on the track for practice and all my hard work got shot down. I don't even want to touch my plastics now, it really is a lot of work and there's a lot to repair this time around.

Good luck everyone, it really is not hard at all. Just very time consuming because of the sanding process.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:41 AM

reading this makes me wanna start sanding and painting my bike now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page