Finally resprayed some fresh paint on her... - 600RR.net
Pictures & Video/Sound Clips Post up your pictures, videos and sound clips here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Finally resprayed some fresh paint on her...

Well after pondering for a while and seeing the eye sore scratches on my upper, I decided to re-spray my baby all silver and get rid of the gunmetal fade so infamously dub'd Mexichrome by zman . Started at 2:30ish and didn't finish 'till 8ish. Prepping (masking/sanding) took like an hour and a half though since I left the fairings on the bike. I didn't want to repeat the mistake of scratching that upper trying to go around tabs, frame sliders and everything with soft paint when putting it back on.

I still need to color match my front fender and tail which I'll do next weekend.
Here she is in all her glory.

"http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20392fc.jpg"
"http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20400lt.jpg"
"http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20413ej.jpg"
http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20432nl.jpg"
"http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20476wf.jpg" http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20487mo.jpg" http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20490vt.jpg"
"http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20518mm.jpg"

-Eric
'05 CBR600RR (Silver) -race/track
'06 R6 (50th' #80) -street/occasional track

"There are three types of people in this world; Stupid, Smart, and Wise people. Stupid people never learn from their mistakes. Smart people do learn from their mistakes. But Wise people... wise people learn from others mistakes."

Last edited by Moeman; 01-09-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Ok... sorry man but if thats your street ride you just pretty muched pissed on it. You got like 3 shades of silver, overspray all over the bike and paint that will chip right off. Why didnt you just take the fairings off instead of spending 2x the time trying to tape everything off.

Also, what kind of fairings are those, i dont see a connection point between the upper and the mid fairings?!?!?!?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io-Bot
Ok... sorry man but if thats your street ride you just pretty muched pissed on it. You got like 3 shades of silver, overspray all over the bike and paint that will chip right off. Why didnt you just take the fairings off instead of spending 2x the time trying to tape everything off.

Also, what kind of fairings are those, i dont see a connection point between the upper and the mid fairings?!?!?!?
Pissed on it? WTF are you talking about? Overspray? Where? I assure you there is none! If you're talking about the water spots on my unwashed tail and cowl, that's not overspray and either way, you're wrong. Where's the third shade of silver? There's only two. Paint that will chip off how? it was sanded, primered, based and clear'd! WTH are you talking about? Have you ever put your upper on by yourself? Make that a Sharkskins upper ,which is also the mid, that you need to work around tabs sticking down, headlights, clip-ons and framesliders? Obviously not, and like I mentioned, that's why I masked her off so I wouldn't repeat scratching her paint like last time.

And if you didn't read they're Sharskinz in the aforementioned. Read again... :book1: Thank you, have a nice day. :)

-Eric

"There are three types of people in this world; Stupid, Smart, and Wise people. Stupid people never learn from their mistakes. Smart people do learn from their mistakes. But Wise people... wise people learn from others mistakes."

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Wow wow, chill out there man...

First, it looks like 3 shades cuz the seat cowel "looks" like a 3rd shade of silver (is that the 1k cowel?) Also, from the pics it looks like you got paint on the left side of the frame and the chain guard. Also i asked what kind of fairing that was cuz no i dont know how hard it is to put on a sharkskinz one....

Also, why will it chip, well if its just out of a spray can the front when hit by little rocks/sand will chip out because the paint will never be strong enough to withstand that even with a spraycan clear. But hey, a cheap fast fix that doesnt look to bad if those arent oversprays and etc.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks good overall... you ARE planning to paint the tail too right? That's about the only thing that stands out... the new silver and old silver don't quite match up... and I doubt that the tail just needs to be washed... but who knows. Looks like a little rash on the left side of the tail so I'm guessing you plan to repaint it.

Did you paint over the windscreen bolts? Can't tell if you did... but if so, be very careful if you remove them, could peel paint away around them.

Looks good overall.

Rock
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io-Bot
Wow wow, chill out there man...

First, it looks like 3 shades cuz the seat cowel "looks" like a 3rd shade of silver (is that the 1k cowel?) Also, from the pics it looks like you got paint on the left side of the frame and the chain guard. Also i asked what kind of fairing that was cuz no i dont know how hard it is to put on a sharkskinz one....

Also, why will it chip, well if its just out of a spray can the front when hit by little rocks/sand will chip out because the paint will never be strong enough to withstand that even with a spraycan clear. But hey, a cheap fast fix that doesnt look to bad if those arent oversprays and etc.
lol... you just had NOTHING nice to say is all. :)

Yes that's a 1k cowl and it's the same color as the upper and lower. Like I said, I still need to match the tail and front fender. No overspray whatsoever, trust me. You prolly see water spots and/or dust since I didn't wash the bike for a week. The paint used is OEM Honda paint (color code NH-623M, same as my TSX) but since I don't have a 'gun I opted for rattle cans from automotivetouchup.com. Clear is the same. It'll wear just like any other bike/car due to rocks.

-Eric

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnRock
looks good overall... you ARE planning to paint the tail too right? That's about the only thing that stands out... the new silver and old silver don't quite match up... and I doubt that the tail just needs to be washed... but who knows. Looks like a little rash on the left side of the tail so I'm guessing you plan to repaint it.

Did you paint over the windscreen bolts? Can't tell if you did... but if so, be very careful if you remove them, could peel paint away around them.

Looks good overall.

Rock
Yup. For like the third time lol. I plan on painting the tail and front fender. Read previous post to why they don't match. Automotivetouchup doesn't sell motorcycle paint so I just opted to go with my Acura TSX satin silver metallic. Yup the tail has a bit of rash due to some lady cutting me off on the 405.

Yeah, I painted over the WS bolts and don't plan on removing them since it'll be a dedicated track bike soon enough. I'm aware about being careful if I do need to remove them for some reason. Thanks btw.

-Eric

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
looks good for a rattle can job... nice work..
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Moto GP Racer

eric, I've done spray can color +clear from Color-Rite.com motorcycle paints. teh clear wont hold up, especially on the front facing parts (upper). I did my flyscreen on previous bike and it didnt hold up at all-in less than 6 months it looked very pot-marked with rock chips.

(from my gs500 site, my first bike):
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/id32.html

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Are you shittin me? Why didnt you take the fairings off to paint them?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Nemesis

Can you use [img][/img] for the pics, please?

I know you're not computer illiterate.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Nemesis

How do I say this nicely without offending you? We've met, and if I say anything offending I don't mean to.

Now, with that said, I would have to agree with most of these guys.

The paint won't hold up, but if you were going for the less expensive, fast fix paint than it looks good to me.

There are a lot of different shades of silver, but again if it doesn't bother you than more power to you.

Personally, I give you A++++ for the effort and wanting to do it yourself. Trial and error, is what I say.

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-09-2006 at 08:43 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
not bad for a temp paint job

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Eric, your bike sucks, your paint sucks, your riding skills suck and I'd kill you in MotoGP3 for Xbox if you ever dared to go Xbox Live...hahaha, jk. Pretty nice job for a DIY project. Now go ride some more while I get more and more jealous that you're in 60 degree weather and I'm in 30.

WIL

2003 Honda CBR 600RR (Black) - Gone but not forgotten (11/10/07)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 AM

The only comment i have is if you're not scared to paint your own bike, then you should make a decent effort to do it right.....Take the fairings off. They come off easy enough, especially Sharkskins. That's just laziness.

As for the finish, it's tough to tell from a picture so i'll take your word for it. ;)
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The reason the rattle cans don't hold up is b/c they don't have any hardner in them. They can't or they would set up on the store shelf.

Also, what grit did you sand with before you painted?

2006 Evolution IX MR Rally Red
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

looks good man... you know what you gotta work on and for a rattle can job it's pretty even. shouldn't chip back or anything if you cleared it enough... but it sounds like you got your sh!t together so good job.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rr84
looks good for a rattle can job... nice work..
Thanks. I worked with what I had. Overall I like it, plus it matches my car now. Atleast the upper, lowers and cowl. The rest will match this weekend. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo
eric, I've done spray can color +clear from Color-Rite.com motorcycle paints. teh clear wont hold up, especially on the front facing parts (upper). I did my flyscreen on previous bike and it didnt hold up at all-in less than 6 months it looked very pot-marked with rock chips.

(from my gs500 site, my first bike):
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/id32.html
Hmmm. I actually did my last 'job with the same automotivetouchup.com paint and had no chips whatsoever in the upper in the 3-4 months I had it. Only on the lower because I ran out of clear and only had two thin coats. I guess time will tell. I'm not too worried about it because if that does happen, it'll be a dedicated track bike by then. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFireRR
Are you shittin me? Why didnt you take the fairings off to paint them?
No I'm not shittin you. I take it you didn't read what I wrote...
Cuz' I even reiterated once or twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Can you use [img][/img] for the pics, please?

I know you're not computer illiterate.
Hmmm
Usually Imageshack does that for me and I cut and paste. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

Quote:
How do I say this nicely without offending you? We've met, and if I say anything offending I don't mean to.

Now, with that said, I would have to agree with most of these guys.

The paint won't hold up, but if you were going for the less expensive, fast fix paint than it looks good to me.

There are a lot of different shades of silver, but again if it doesn't bother you than more power to you.

Personally, I give you A++++ for the effort and wanting to do it yourself. Trial and error, is what I say.
Yup a fast fix for a soon-to-be-dedicated track bike. Alot of shades of silver on MY bike? Are you trippin and not seeing all the different angles the florescent (sp?) light is reflecting off of? I assure you the upper, lower and cowl ARE one silver. Satin Silver Metallic, an Acura/Honda OEM paint (code:NH623M). This paint viewed from different angles will be darker in some areas due to the angles that light is reflected/refracted off of. Sorta like a silver chamelean (sp?). I guess thanks BTW. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman
not bad for a temp paint job
Not exactly a temp job, well maybe untill I want to pay the money for a custom job I have in mind. But that won't be for a while. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong
Eric, your bike sucks, your paint sucks, your riding skills suck and I'd kill you in MotoGP3 for Xbox if you ever dared to go Xbox Live...hahaha, jk. Pretty nice job for a DIY project. Now go ride some more while I get more and more jealous that you're in 60 degree weather and I'm in 30.
lol... you prolly would take me on MotoGP3 'cuz my Ethernet connection doesn't work Wil. lol Try 80 degree's this past weekend! Neener neener neener. lol j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRRek
The only comment i have is if you're not scared to paint your own bike, then you should make a decent effort to do it right.....Take the fairings off. They come off easy enough, especially Sharkskins. That's just laziness.

As for the finish, it's tough to tell from a picture so i'll take your word for it. ;)
EXACTLY! They come off REAL easy! However, when you have to put it back on, THAT'S a whole 'nother story. I didn't have someone to help me and it's my daily rider so I had to put it on without the paint completely cured (ie soft). Now, working that upper around the tabs on the gas tank cover, clip-ons, frame slider AND plugging the gauge cluster in without scratching soft paint with only two hands to work with...
Do you now see why I opted to leave it on? :) Besides, I didn't overspray anything and it came out as planned. I have no complaints/regrets whatsoever. :)

-Eric

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natypes
The reason the rattle cans don't hold up is b/c they don't have any hardner in them. They can't or they would set up on the store shelf.

Also, what grit did you sand with before you painted?
But given time to cure, it'll hold up fine. Besides, when I took a collision repair and painting class, we never even used a hardener, unless you're speaking of laquer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodamninsane
looks good man... you know what you gotta work on and for a rattle can job it's pretty even. shouldn't chip back or anything if you cleared it enough... but it sounds like you got your sh!t together so good job.
Thanks. It'll look much better this weekend when the rest matches. :) Yeah I put 5 coats of clear on her which should be ample considering my last 'job with 3 held up.

-Eric

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 02:31 AM

i like meatloaf sandwiches. Whos with me?
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 AM

I think it actually looks pretty good. Not bad for a garage paint job.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 AM

it looks good, nicely done.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Knee Dragger

Dont worry about how it looks Eric, I think it came out great for a soon to be track bike. Youll ride the pants off 90 percent of the posers on this board anyways so dont even worry about the people who comment on how unpretty it is. Shoot half of these mofos just pose at starbucks where a perfect appearance is mandatory and the other half prolly dont even own a bike.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymesayer
Dont worry about how it looks Eric, I think it came out great for a soon to be track bike. Youll ride the pants off 90 percent of the posers on this board anyways so dont even worry about the people who comment on how unpretty it is. Shoot half of these mofos just pose at starbucks where a perfect appearance is mandatory and the other half prolly dont even own a bike.
You couldn't be more wrong. This board is one of the better ones I have visited. A ton of people on here do track days regularly, many race and all the rest are wanting to get to the track.

2006 Evolution IX MR Rally Red
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by natypes
You couldn't be more wrong. This board is one of the better ones I have visited. A ton of people on here do track days regularly, many race and all the rest are wanting to get to the track.
He was referring to me. :)
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonball

No I'm not shittin you. I take it you didn't read what I wrote...
Cuz' I even reiterated once or twice...
No, No I did read what you wrote. I just cant believe how lazy one can be to not even take off the parts to paint them *shrug*. Maybe it worked for you, but Im just a firm believer of anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Id want to do the best job I could..

Last edited by RedFireRR; 01-13-2006 at 02:22 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
He was referring to me. :)
No Jon I was not. I know you know how to ride, ive seen you, your just currently bikeless, theres a difference. I was referring to the people who have never owned a bike but post here like they do. :)

NATYPES, If my comment didnt apply to you then I dont know why you even replied to it. This is why I said 90 percent. I think you took it a little to literally. Ok lets just say MOST.

Eric, quit being a Nancy about little scratches and paint it pink. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page