Great, we are set back by 50 years now - 600RR.net
Pictures & Video/Sound Clips Post up your pictures, videos and sound clips here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great, we are set back by 50 years now

Some BS I just saw on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...cle.safety.cnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
C.F.A. Member -----WHo's your ** MAC Fatty **

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the dude refusing to wear the helmet is a fuktard. and the old people talking about Honda portraying a racy image and urging people to speed is retarded. man were never gonna win

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Monkey works will work for you :)

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Man thats some BS right there!

05 600RR-Track
06 1000RR-Street
98 CR250
04 CRF80-Wifes Pit Bike

www.monkeyworkscycles.com

Phone Orders 1-888-62CYCLE (29253)

Customer Service 1-386-322-3530

[email protected]

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Proud PAPA

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That made it sound like i bought a honda so i sould race around town doing over 100 all day. Thats completely fucked! This really pisses me off.

What about suzuki? They have a commercail were the hot chick and the guy race home and she takes the bike.. Thats the same ****. And that honda commercial was like one for the release of the bike they don't show that stuff on tv all day..

I don't ride fast, I fly low.
07' 600RR - War Machine.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
I wonder what percentage of sportbike crashes are gixxers?

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I ddin't see anything that I'd consider BS.

They quoted stats that motorcyclists are more likely to die in accidents than people in passenger cars. That's pretty straightforward.

Then they quoted stats indicating that "Supersport" bikes are over-represented in accidents. That's not really up for debate...either the numbers support that, or they don't.

And they said that manufacturers play up the performance aspect of their bikes. Duh. That's marketing. Would anyone ride motorcycles if they didn't perform well? (I know I wouldn't.)

As for the helmet/no helmet thing...I didn't see anyone refusing to wear a helmet. What they were opposed to is helmet LAWS. i.e. The goverment should keep its nose out of my business. And if we're going to start requiring motorcyclists to wear a helmet, then why not require people in cars to wear helmets too? Head injury is a leading cause of death in car accidents...and numerically, far more people suffer head injuries in car accidents than in motorcycle accidents. So the whole "burden to society" thing is complete BS since helmetless occupants of cars represent a much larger burden than helmetless motorcyclists.

FWIW, I'm opposed to helmet laws. When I ride, I've got full gear, including a full face helmet. When I have been down, my helmet has served me well. I'm a big fan of helmets. What I don't like, is Uncle Sam telling me what to do.

Here's how this thing is going to play out:
I think we're going to see pretty dramatic increases in insurance rates for sportbikes. That sucks, but I can't really argue with it...if sportbikes are over-represented in crashes, then the insurance companies have to charge us more. That's just how it goes.

As for helmets, I believe that the NTSB will make a strong recommendation that all states should adopt helmet laws. The NHTSA will follow that by witholding funding to states that don't have helmet laws. The states will basically be forced to cave and institude helmet laws.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbox View Post
That made it sound like i bought a honda so i sould race around town doing over 100 all day. Thats completely fucked! This really pisses me off.

What about suzuki? They have a commercail were the hot chick and the guy race home and she takes the bike.. Thats the same ****. And that honda commercial was like one for the release of the bike they don't show that stuff on tv all day..
Don't lose sight of the forest for all the trees.

They picked Honda randomly. All motorcycle manufacturers taunt the performance of their bikes and portray an "image" that is anywhere from reckless to anti-social.

If they didn't...we wouldn't buy the bikes.

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

and dont forget about that zx 14 commercial. you guys know the one im talking about . such bullspit
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Proud PAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
Don't lose sight of the forest for all the trees.

They picked Honda randomly. All motorcycle manufacturers taunt the performance of their bikes and portray an "image" that is anywhere from reckless to anti-social.

If they didn't...we wouldn't buy the bikes.
Maybe it just pisses me off because that bike was at the TRACK in that commercial. It would be a great commercial to use had it been in the streets and passing other cars and dragging knee in the street but that bike was on the track. The suzuki one was on public road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR_Rider View Post
and dont forget about that zx 14 commercial. you guys know the one im talking about . such bullspit
this one?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lQZ24_8OHxo

or is it this one..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ejq2RXvqf...elated&search=

they are both kinda the same.

07' 600RR - War Machine.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Maybe it just pisses me off because that bike was at the TRACK in that commercial. It would be a great commercial to use had it been in the streets and passing other cars and dragging knee in the street but that bike was on the track. The suzuki one was on public road.
Yep, I know. That's just more of the same...our media is more interested in making ratings that reporting an accurate story.

FWIW, Roadracing World has an interesting rebuttal to the CNN story indicating that the statistics were distorted: linky

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Pocketbike Racer

andrewbox i was more talking bout the first one but they are preety much the same.. you know what i mean
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Proud PAPA

Quote:
Yep, I know. That's just more of the same...our media is more interested in making ratings that reporting an accurate story.

FWIW, Roadracing World has an interesting rebuttal to the CNN story indicating that the statistics were distorted: linky
Well im glad they at least posted something, but still CNN is a lot more well known than Roadracing world.

07' 600RR - War Machine.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Well im glad they at least posted something, but still CNN is a lot more well known than Roadracing world.
It doesn't really matter. We (motorcyclists) are such a huge minority here that we basically have no voice at all.

Uncle Sam can impose horsepower limits, helmet laws, etc. The insurance companies can quadruple our rates. Nobody else cares.

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Proud PAPA

This is all making it far to easy for me to be 100% track in 08

07' 600RR - War Machine.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought it was ironic that the first crash in the video shows a cager making a left into a gas station right in front of the bike that about goes through his windshield and the rider flyes like superman till he hits the ground. how about a story that tells car drivers to keep their frickin eyes open.

i had some dumb a$$ pull out in front of me yesterday. He was at a stop sign and pulled right onto the road in front of me. If I had been going faster in a residential than I should have been - I might have ended up in his back window. Good thing " I " was paying attention - because I avoided the accident that the cager almost caused. As I went around him - I pointed at my eyes - as if to say "LOOK before you turn - idiot" - it starled him - he had no idea I was there - of course not... because as i watched him pull out, i also watched him not look to his left to see if there was anyone coming his way.

As for helmet laws - I won't ride without a helmet - but I used too. I'm just glad I lived long enough to out grow being young & dumb. I think the helmet laws are good for the cops/emts who have to clean up all the messiness of bad accidents.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Im glad i live in a state that requires a helmet.. it saves on insurance too, i love that
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-Pac View Post
Im glad i live in a state that requires a helmet.. it saves on insurance too, i love that
If that were true, don't you think the insurance companies would ask if you wear a helmet?

My life insurance company, for instance, asked if I smoked. They asked if I was a private pilot. They asked if I participated in any competitive motorsport (racing). But they didn't ask if I wore a helmet while riding a motorcycle.

If helmet use really made a big difference in insurance payouts, why don't the insurance companies ask if you wear a helmet when riding?

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
wow that was stupid..how many accidents are actually caused by these "racy image wannabes?" ugh that pisses me off.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
its just part of the game. as said above motorcyclists are a minority and have little say in laws pertaining to them.

i do however understand why there is a big fuss over sport bikes. every year they get faster and lighter. just remember they are race replica bikes. their true purpose is racing, even if only a small percentage of buyers use them for that purpose. too many inexperienced riders kill themselves every year.

i dont really care bout the helmet law thing. if u dont want to wear a helmet that is your choice. i dont really care. i ALWAYS wear my helmet when riding all my bikes. ive had too many concussions and a broken jaw while wearing a full face helmet. imagine if i had nothing on, i would be a vegetable or dead.

it looks like sport bikes are going to be hated on more and more every year untill they ban them from highway use. (dont know if it will ever happen but never underestimate the power of uncle sam)

ride safe guys and wear your gear.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSRAaron View Post
wow that was stupid..how many accidents are actually caused by these "racy image wannabes?" ugh that pisses me off.
Come on...get real.

We have an entire forum dedicated to crashes here. I don't see those on the sport touring, touring, and cruiser sites.

But yeah...I'm sure all of those crashes are the other guy's fault.

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street

Last edited by Bounce; 09-12-2007 at 07:08 PM.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM

helmets should be a national standard... not state law. its just common sense!
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRR View Post
Want to talk about common sense? We're riding unstable, powerful, lightweight vehicles with the power to weight ratio better than most race cars. We have no passive safety devices (crumple zones, etc). We have no active safety devices (Air bags, etc). We don't get good fuel economy (as a function of displacement and weight, motorcycles aren't very efficient.) When it rains, we get wet. When it is hot outside, we get hot. When it is cold, we get cold. We don't have any storage space. If we accidentally stop on a puddle of oil, we fall down. If we hit gravel in a corner, we fall down. If we accidentally brake too hard, we fall down. If we get on the gas too hard in a corner, we fall down.

I could go on and on.

Motorcycles and common sense don't really go together.

If you're OK with Uncle Sam forcing you to wear certain things while riding, are you also OK with Uncle Sam telling you not to ride? If this is really a common sense/cost to society issue, then all motorcycles should be banned...along with every other non-essential activity that involves risk.

I'd prefer to keep the government out of my personal life as much as possible.

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRR View Post
If you wanted to reduce the amount of deaths on sportbikes, make it illegal to ride anything bigger than 400CC on the street until you have had your motorcycle endorsement for 2 years.

I bet you that crash boom bang section would have a lot less 07's in it.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
If that were true, don't you think the insurance companies would ask if you wear a helmet?

My life insurance company, for instance, asked if I smoked. They asked if I was a private pilot. They asked if I participated in any competitive motorsport (racing). But they didn't ask if I wore a helmet while riding a motorcycle.

If helmet use really made a big difference in insurance payouts, why don't the insurance companies ask if you wear a helmet when riding?
i dont understand really.. they dont ask because they assume you obey the law and if not then you will get pulled over and they will find out.. its a helmet law meaning you have to wear one or you will get a big fine.. it saves on insurance because they know you are going to wear one if you are riding thus lessening the chance of dying
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-Pac View Post
i dont understand really.. they dont ask because they assume you obey the law and if not then you will get pulled over and they will find out.. its a helmet law meaning you have to wear one or you will get a big fine.. it saves on insurance because they know you are going to wear one if you are riding thus lessening the chance of dying
OK...and when my friends in Arizona (no helmet law) apply for insurance...do they get asked if they wear a helmet?

Maybe I'll put this another way...does anyone have insurance payout stats for motorcyclists in helmet law vs. no helmet law states comparing states of similar traffic density (i.e. California vs. North Dakota is not a good comparison)?

Honestly, I'm amazed that insurance companies don't ask about this. Logically, you would think that helmet use would make a pretty big dent (no pun intended) in insurance company payouts. Insurance companies are in the business of making money and if they figured out that helmetless riders were costing them a disproportionate amount of money, don't you think they'd charge more?

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street

Last edited by Bounce; 09-12-2007 at 08:37 PM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!

Same thing goes for SEATBELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yet we dont see CNN or any of these other news stations doing stories on seatbelts do we!!

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkid11 View Post
Same thing goes for SEATBELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yet we dont see CNN or any of these other news stations doing stories on seatbelts do we!!
Actually, the seat belt issue has been very big in the news lately, with the whole "Click it or ticket" campaign.

I'm opposed to seat belt laws, too, btw. You will never find me driving my car without a seatbelt...except maybe just from the driveway into the garage, but I don't want the government telling me I have to do it.

--
Russell
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
This is all making it far to easy for me to be 100% track in 08
Yep me too, but no track day organizer is going to force me to wear my helmet damn it!!

Forget it boys, we'll never win. I love our bad boy image, chicks think its sexy.

The track is my crack.......................... lucky 7 - ra7or racing
"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

RIP Phatstud......... You will be missed.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Proud PAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzorman1 View Post
Yep me too, but no track day organizer is going to force me to wear my helmet damn it!!

Forget it boys, we'll never win. I love our bad boy image, chicks think its sexy.

Well just think at least you can pose for the camera better.. :eviltongu

07' 600RR - War Machine.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Knee Dragger

I'm sure insurance doesn't ask about the helmet for legal reasons. The only reason they would have to give this option is if they could refuse coverage for those who checked yes, but crashed while not wearing a helmet. If they asked, you said "yes I own/wear a helmet" then get in a crash on your purdy new '07 CBR, they can't "refuse" to pay for the CBR becasuse you crashed without a helmet. No benefit to the insurance company means they aren't going to do it.

Same reason they dont ask if you wear a seat belt. I am curious to know if insurance rates are lower in Helmet required states with similar/equal enviroments. I went from Arkansas to Memphis TN and my rates didn't change much if any. Tennessee requires a helmet, Arkansas doesn't. I NEVER went out in TN without a helmet. I have gone out in AR without a helmet. I did it tonight. I went around the block after putting my new chain on. I set a massive 27 miles an hour top speed (thanks speedohealer). Fact is I did it. I could have wrecked or gotten hit. I never did this in Memphis, even to go 2 blocks to get beer. For reasons like this, I could see insurance being lower in Helmet required states.

Ride it like your sponsored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page