Beginner - 600RR.net
Riding tips A good place to gain &, share knowledge , information and tips about safe enjoyable riding .

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beginner

This guy down the block is selling a 99cbr 600f4 and I’ve never owned a bike but have wanted one for awhile now. It has a glow kit and a wheelie bar set up for another brake line. He says everything on it is after market and is selling it for 3k. Is that too much? Is that a good beginner bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
you'll be happier with a smaller bike first. I won't go with the safety angle, because you'll hear enough of that.

Starting with a 250 or 300 will make your eventual larger bikes so much more fun. its easier to appreciate them.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'04 TJ Rubicon-5spd,5.5"lift
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's a bike setup for drag racing, it's not a good first bike.

As Grey posts above, start with a 250/300cc machine.

Search OTF for "should I get a 600 cc as my first bike?"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

What they said...
I heard glow kit and wheelie bar and was like wtf..
I’d highly recommend considering a not a super sport for a new rider first bike unless your straight ninja in all things. I started in dirt and thankful. Rode a heavy slow klr650 for years then got a 600rr. It’s amazing how different the experience is between different types of bikes on street. .. it’ seems to make sense starting small. But then again, it’s up to you and how you make decisions. Bikes are a great tool for learning to make good decisions. But that not mean a super sport that maybe stretched isn’t the ideal first bike for you. As long as you understand the situation etc do what feels right man
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Knee Dragger

Also that seems like a lot of money for '99 that has probably been abused, considering it has wheelie bar you can guess the type of riding on it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's seems pricey. I bought an 06 F4i last month for $2k with 12k miles. It had a salvage title and no aftermarket crap on it but still.

I bought it to resell but I just love it and am keeping it. It's not a bad first bike. You gotta make an honest assessment of your maturity level. If you're the type whose first question is "how fast does it go?" then get something smaller.

If I knew then what I know now I'd buy a used R3 as my first bike. They're cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, really fun and great for learning. It's quite a different experience than a 600. You gotta work those little guys. I'm a mellow rider but the R3 sees redline every time I ride. It's a blast.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Knee Dragger

Look elsewhere.

Whatever you buy you need to make sure it has been looked after, no point buying someone else' used up crap. Look for a clean bike with service history, mostly stock, std fairings etc and if buying private look at the person you're buying it from and his property as much as the bike itself.

Generally speaking the smaller and cheaper the bike you learn on the faster you learn and the more confidence you will get to step up onto a bigger/faster bike, if you have all your money tied up in a flashy bike that's too much for your skill level you'll be too scared to drop it, which you probably will anyway, we all have, and you won't get confident with it if you're scared of it. A small bike, like an R3 or better yet, an unfaired commuter bike like an ER500 for example you can throw around, hoon on and get confident on for not a lot of money, your skills will improve much faster because you will find you're using much more of the bikes power, brakes and handling. Falling off as a learner is almost a given so unless you're fond of doing repairs yourself, shelling out loads of cash for parts or insurance start with a cheap non faired bike.

If you must have a CBR600, and why wouldn't you, set your budget and buy the cleanest one with the best service history and the least fucked with. And make sure you have enough in your budget for gear, don't be a Squid.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Get something smaller and unmolested for your first bike.

Here's the other mentioned thread, well worth a read for you:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...-1st-bike.html

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in