Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Does a Confederate Flag signify a racist?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 52.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 18 23.1%

Confederate Flag a symbol of hate?

2K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  nxus12 
#1 ·
I visited my friends in Rhode Island a few weeks ago and we got into a bit of an argument over this topic.

Apparently to all my friends up North, if you hang a Confederate flag on your house, in your truck or have one on an article of clothing, then your are automatically a racist.

I tried to explain the whole "Pride not Prejudice" stand, but they would have none of it.

Without causing a big argument, I just wanted to get some other opinions. I figured this was as good a place as any to do that.

Thanks,
Dusty

#29 ·
cbrocket600 said:
It is a symbol of history. My father is from the south and worked along side of african americans in the tobacco and cotten fields when he was a kid. I think the narrow mindedness and ignorance of some people are to blaim for this being turned into a racist issue.
+1 i think it has been turned into a racist thing. if some one flew it in my nieghbor hood it wouldn't bother me. but if they were waving it in my face then i would have to open a CAN.

#30 ·
FSURR said:
Wearing a confederate flag is like wearing an eagles jersey today
i wore my eagles jersey yesterday

#31 · (Edited)
Way to start some crap Dusty... but some interesting views.
IMHO, you are correct in the Pride perspective.

Also, I agree 99% with Mr. Hotrod... (except the part about us owing God) I'm glad to hear a black man with a greater grasp of reality and some common sense! Thank you.

I'm a transplanted NY native, that has lived in the south for many years. What the folks from the south call a damn yankee. (A yankee is one that comes south to visit and leaves, a danm yankee is one that stays...) I've heard all sides of this debate. For some, it is a hate thing, therefor, I won't fly or display the flag out of respect for the feelings of those who see it that way.
It's not that important a symbol to me to fly / display it in support of my opinion at the cost of offending others.

#32 ·
Poor whites and blacks in the USA act very similar in my opinion. Trailer parks vs. Ghetto life styles are not much different. They also seem to be the most racist people from my experience and have all the same excuses for why they are poor, which I find kind of funny. Yes the man is keeping you down, not the black man or the white man but the man in the mirror! A greater percentage of blacks just happen to be poor due to mistreatment and institutionalized abuse for hundreds of years. Please don't respond with comments about how everything has been even steven for 40 years so everything should be ok now. Maybe in the last ten years the playing field has started to become even close to fair and it will take a lot longer than 40 or even 100 years to repair the damage done in the past. Handouts are not the answer, just remove the barriers and the situation will sort itself out.

Back to the point of the thread…honestly almost every encounter I have had with a confederation flag flier the person has been an ignorant racist a-hole. This causes me to be a bit apprehensive when dealing with someone sporting the flag. Pit Bulls are great dogs but then every thug and trailer park cowboy decides it’s their dog of choice and people start getting hurt. Guess what, I see a guy in a wife beater walking down the street with his pit bull, I’m crossing the street. Or some guy in is confederation flag hat.

P.S. Education is the answer; fight cuts to the education system every step of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.