London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) - 600RR.net
United Kingdom A place for riders from the UK to set up group rides

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)

If you're not aware, from early April the London Congestion Charge Zone area will now also become the Ultra Low Emission Zone but this ULEZ operates 24/7 365.
So everyone entering the congestion charge zone on a vehicle that is not exempt, will now also have to pay £12.50 a day... on top of the congestion charge (if applicable).

This small central zone will expand to everything within the North and South Circular come 2021!!

This is the TfL vehicle checker and rules so you can find out if your bike/car are exempt from the ULEZ: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...m-checker-ulez

All vehicles need to produce less than 0.15g/km of NOx emissions to be classed as exempt, otherwise you have to pay.
Pre-Euro 3 category bikes do not list this emission on the vehicle V5, so will automatically be liable to pay the fine. However if you contact your manufacturer for a Certificate of Conformity, this CoC will show the manufacturer recorded NOx level. Thankfully Honda do this for free (others charge).

You'll be unsurprised to find out that the CBR600RR is of course actually well below this pollution emission level, in fact it's only 0.093g/km - so anyone who rides their 600RR into the city and pays for the ULEZ is throwing money away.

Just email: [email protected] with your name, address and photos of your V5, and Honda will post you this Certificate in a couple of days.
With this CoC you then have to contact TfL to get your bike registered as exempt from the ULEZ!

I believe each biker has to do this individually. Just because I've registered my 2004 CBR 600RR as exempt, I don't think that means that all of the same model will be made exempt! Thieving scum!

This is a good article: https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/looph...lez-exemption/

Hope this has been useful for any Londoners or visitors

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Good info. Not screwing us for this in the USA just yet. At least not where I go!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Good info. Not screwing us for this in the USA just yet. At least not where I go!
It's crazy trying to penalise bikes in the same bracket as cars. Bikes don't pollute anywhere near as much as cars, and they don't sit in traffic pumping out fumes either. Trying to fine us the same amount as a car is crazy. If anything it should be a fraction of the full fine, but I think it's all mostly a moneymaking scheme if this is anything to go by.

As far as I understand it, California has some strict regulations? But I don't know the details... I think it would be too hard to regulate in the US.

It's definitely getting stricter here, as populations increase, vehicle ownership increases, and our cities are so densely populated.
France already has a similar system in place. All vehicles have different stickers relating to their emissions, and certain vehicles can't enter Paris (and a few other cities) at set times of the day; and if pollution happens to be high for whatever reason, they can restrict vehicle entry completely. It's not a bad idea. I don't know how effective it is though.

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page