Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

starting problem... need some help

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  hammbone 
#1 ·
i have read through posts over and over but i still can't figure it out. i thought i had read a post earlier with similar characteristics but can't find it now so if someone can send me a link to that would be great.
here is my problem. i haven't riden my bike in a few weeks. went to start it and it wouldn't fire up. it turns over fine, but here is the catch... my headlights, gauge backround light, and front blinkers dont' come on.... the rear blinkers are stuck on and taillight works... (which i find this very weird). i think my battery is too weak.. it sounds like my fuel pump is working... i don't have a voltometer to check it so i am going to take the battery to someone tomorrow and see what they say. i tried jumping it but it didn't work, but it could have been flooded by then.... any ideas. thanks in advance.

#3 ·
i just changed out my spark plugs not even a thousand miles ago... they wouldn't have any thing to do with the lights would they.

#4 ·
alright i have taken my bike completely apart. i have checked all my fuses.. they are good. does anyone think there is a problem with the harness somewhere... i need help bad. my battery when checked read 12.7 so i would say its good. please help

#6 ·
i know and it has me completly stumped.

#7 ·
1. charge your battery
2. make sure the battery leads are tight
3. check the 30AMP fuse that is by the battery
4.check the 2 plugs loacated underneath the left side ram air cover
thay represent two main relays for the bike
also if you have after market turn signals check all your connections
and make sure they are soldered not just wires attached together
ie causing a short in a circuit or more than one circuit
best of luck man and please keep us posted your case and others
are our learning tools

#9 ·
i have checked the fuses including the one you mentioned... they are fine. battery seams to be fine and the leads are tight. i am going solder my wires and see if that corrects it. right now they are connected by wire connectors so it will look cleaner if i solder them too. is there anyway to tell if you have messed up your wiring harness?

#10 ·
i really do not think you messed the wiring harness simply cause fuses are the 1st line of defense if the fuses are good then the harness should be alright the wiring might not be tightley connected ie causing loss of power at one point and to much power at another point i hope this makes sense

#12 ·
i am still stuck... i called the dealership to see what they thought. they told me of a guy who miss wired his flush mounts and that it shorted out the wiring harness somewhere. i wired it correctly but it is possible that one of the connections touched another some how. could this short out the harness? i am going to try borrowing a battery from a buddy but i don't think that is it. my fuel pump isn't kicking on that is why it isn't starting. i can make the pump kick on from one side of the harness but if i plug it in and check it on the other side of the harness it doesn't kick in. i will try to take some pictures and post them to describe what i am talking about, in the mean while more ideas would be great... thanks so far.

#13 ·
you are working way to hard. yes its your battery. make sure the bike is in nuetral, kickstand down, and squeeze the clutch. then try turning over. get a jumper battery if you can. you can connect to a car battery just don't turn the car on. then this is the important part. plug the ram air tubes up with a towel. you have flooded the bike by now and this will choke the bike and use the air and fuel thats already in the chaber to start. crank it over a few times like this. then open the throttle wide open. with the ram tubes covered and it should fire up. it will cough a bit cause of the extra gas but it will start. let me know. p.s. i am a race mechanic for yosh suzuki. just try it out.

#14 ·
ok i will give that a try tomorrow hopefully...

#15 ·
prowrench said:
you are working way to hard. yes its your battery. make sure the bike is in nuetral, kickstand down, and squeeze the clutch. then try turning over. get a jumper battery if you can. you can connect to a car battery just don't turn the car on. then this is the important part. plug the ram air tubes up with a towel. you have flooded the bike by now and this will choke the bike and use the air and fuel thats already in the chaber to start. crank it over a few times like this. then open the throttle wide open. with the ram tubes covered and it should fire up. it will cough a bit cause of the extra gas but it will start. let me know. p.s. i am a race mechanic for yosh suzuki. just try it out.
i tried it and it didn't work... my fuel pump isn't kicking on... i am just going to take it in and have them look at it... it is still under warranty anyway. i will let you guys know what they say about it. hopefully they won't have it forever and a day. thanks thus far

#16 · (Edited)
If you have the key in the "ON" position and you flick the kill swith to "ON" but the fuel pump does not prime up then it is wiring for sure.

What do you mean by one side of the harness but not the other? Which harness, the ones by the clutch lever side air snorkle? If so there should be 2 there, blue and a grey one I think.

#17 ·
beung said:
If you have the key in the "ON" position and you flick the kill swith to "ON" but the fuel pump does not prime up then it is wiring for sure.

What do you mean by one side of the harness but not the other? Which harness, the ones by the clutch lever side air snorkle? If so there should be 2 there, blue and a grey one I think.
i think there is a problem with my ecm. maybe not to better explain myself... on the blue harness when unpluged the side closest to the front if you touch the third pin from the bottom left with a test light the fuel pump kicks on however if you plug it in and try it then it does not work. the grey harness also has a connection to the fuel pump if you touch it then it kicks on the pump. i was going to post pictures but i decieded to just take it in since i have warranty still, so i already put my plastics back on.

#18 ·
Do your signals work??? What mods have you done??? If you might have touched something when wiring.. Disconnect what you wired up also Unplug the battery and leave it off for awhile, Hook it back up after 30 min. or so and see if the fuel pump turns on... If it still doesn't check your relays on the left side of the tank... Unless you really trust your dealer, don't take it in.... I have learned that the guys they hire at honda are not the brightest bulbs in the building... We can get you running right here.... Get back and let us know.. T

#19 ·
my front signals, headlights, and illumination lights do not work. my rear taillight, brake lights work, however my rear turn signals come on but do not flash. as far as mods the only thing electrical are front flush mounts, and intergrated taillight. i think when i wired my front right flush mount it touched something and shorted something out over time. i know everything else was wired fine. it worked for like 7000 miles i don't know why it decieded to stop working now. my only thought is that the wires somehow just touched every now and then, resulting in a slow wear on my wiring harness ultimitely frying it somewhere. how do i check my relays... i have a 03-04 service manual i downloaded from here. i think the wiring is the same as my 05 but i could be wrong. do you know if there is any difference? also i was looking at the wiring digram. the ground from the turn signal runs into the ground for the headlight relay, the headlights, and the bank angle sensor is it possible that it fried the bank angle sensor as well as the headlight relay? thus causing the fuel to be shut off until it gets fixed. i know normally you would turn the key of for about ten second and then turn it back on but if the sensor goes bad does it cause the fuel pump to be shut off till it is disconnected or fixed?

#20 ·
alright get this... as it is i am just trying to keep everyone posted on the situation. i broke down and took it to a dealership one of my buddys had good faith in. they have it for nearly a week. call me back. saying it was a loose ground wire and it was not covered in warranty, that i had somehow pulled them loose taking my fairings of. total ******** if you ask me. it cost me about $300. i thought to hell with it cause i didn't feel like arguing with them... well as it turns out the dealership is about 2 hours away but never the less down a good road with good twisties. so i am riding home and stop at a gas station, shut it off and it starts bike fine. no problem. well i get about 35-40 min. away and stop for some food with some of my friends that i was riding with. come back out. nothing!!!!!! same damn problem. i didn't even make it home. i want to strangle someone. anyway... my buddy calls them the next day cause i had to work. he chews them out all that good stuff. they appaulagize and say bring it back we will fix it for free. my buddy tells them that if they don't fix it this time then i want my money back. they say they probably can't do that. well i don't have a truck and my buddy who took it up there for me hasn't had a chance to take it up there yet. so i call them do to the fact they wouldn't tell me what wires they fixed. the tell me that it was one of the ground wires that bolts to the frame by the fuse box and a wire in the left relay. there is no way that i pulled them loose taking the fairings off. it is a bolt for crying out loud and the relays have a piece of rubber so to speak between them and the fairing. so now i am waiting to take it back to them 2 hours away and probably wait a week again damn it. i checked the wires they mentioned and they seamed fine. i don't know.

#21 ·
well finally got my bike back about four days ago.... damn it feels good... they had it for a month... turns out the had to order a whole new wiring harness and sub harness, plus they covered it under warrenty. they said they tried to get honda to refund my first $300 i paid cause they considered it the same problem. honda wouldn't do it but they gave me a copy of the ticket and said for me to give honda a call myself to see if i could get it from them. just figured i would let everyone know the final outcome for future references.

#22 ·
Did you get the old wiring harness!!!!!! If you did you can probably see where they F$ed up your wires and had to order another one.. I will put money on your old wiring was fine... Bad relay, fuse that looked good but was blown out of sight... Glad you got it sorry you lost $300 out of it.. T

#23 ·
yeah it sucks i am just glad i got it back.... it seems to be running fine. however... not to bitch anymore... i realized a few things.... they forgot to put my screws in my position light so know i have find some to replace those. the little cylinder thing on the upper fairing that the ram air cove slides over is broken off (doesn't really affect it all that much but still pisses me off) the rubber peice that goes between the tank cover and the frame is visable because they didn't tuck it in. maybe i shouldn't bitch but i am paying money for this product and doing everything in my power to keep it nice and someone else goes and fucks it up. any opinions on what i should do about it? these are just a few of the things i have noticed so far.

#24 ·
Live and learn.. Dealer took a month and your out $300.. Start with the little things and learn as you go, before you know it you will be adj. your valves and doing all your own work.. It's cheaper and you will feel better knowing you can do it.

#25 ·
i know and i do alot of my own work as it is. everything that has been done to my bike i have done myself simply for that reason... the only reason i took it them was because it was under warranty and in the event that it was something like the harness assymbly i wouldn't have to shell out $700.... i just don't understand how so many honda dealerships can be so BAD. i love my honda on would probably by nothing else but still it is the point of the matter.... anyway thank you for you help if i can ever be of assistance just let me know.

#26 ·
FYI, In your earlier post you said you had 12.7v at the battery. That's too low. You should have 13.0-13.5v on a freshly charged battery. They probably did nothing the first time and just charged the battery and sent you on your way the second time. I'd be looking to get my $300 back from that dealer. Sounds really shady when a battery charger cost under $15. Go buy one and charge the battery ever few months not matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.