Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Tried to GP shift mod and broke the bike

5K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  twocustom 
#1 ·
I tried to do the GP shift mod and now the bike won't start. I came to the conclusion that the water hose is just not flexible enough, or there is not enough room for it to be moved out of the way.

I tried to start the bike today and I can hear the starter but there is no response from the engine. How did I mess up the bike by just pushing and gently pulling on hoses last night?

Does this have anything to do with the "throttle stop knob" that is by the water hose? I don't know what that is used for but I imagine it's the root of my problems.

Also, when I put in the key, and turn to on (the controls come on and go up and down) the rev limiter light blinks yellow instead of normally red? I seem to remember it being red when the bike would come on. And now it's yellow.

Maybe that will help me solve the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

#4 ·
layden03 said:
The rev light is yellow. How many times does it blink? The number of blinks is telling you what is wrong. If someone has a service manual they could tell you what is wrong.
wow once again im impressed with honda.

#6 ·
worst comes to worst bud call honda, i dont know how exactlly to get to someone on the phone who could help you. the dealership wont help they will tell you to just bring it in because they want your money

#8 ·
Where is the tilt sensor? I don't see anything about the titl sensor in the service manual and it doesn't appear to be near the linkage?

The only thing I did last night was move the hoses around. For example, I would push and bend the water hose around to see if I could get clearance for the linkage. And keep in mind, I wasn't yanking on these hoses, I would only give them moderate force to see if I could get clearance.

#9 ·
Make sure the bike is in neutral.. You pushing the hoses isn't going to keep the bike from starting.. The only other electrial connection is the kickstand switch, make sure that is plugged in.

#11 ·
tripage said:
Make sure the bike is in neutral.. You pushing the hoses isn't going to keep the bike from starting.. The only other electrial connection is the kickstand switch, make sure that is plugged in.
yeah did you check your kickstand sensor? that sounds like it could be a good possibility. and i dont know for sure but maybe if you did not put the shifter link on properly, i know there is a little mark where it should be.maybe its putting pressure on it so its keeping it in gear? i dont know much about that crap but i figured i throw something out there

#12 · (Edited)
Does the bike turn over and just not fire?

"Does this have anything to do with the "throttle stop knob" that is by the water hose? I don't know what that is used for but I imagine it's the root of my problems. "

Thats more then likely the idle adjuster, you turn it to increase or decrease the RPM when the bike is idle, don't mess with it when the bike is cold. Be carefull with that knob because you can turn it too far and the screw at the other end will come out of the throttle body assembly and you will have to take most of the air assembly to get the idle screw back in.

I would check the kickstand switch.

#13 ·
The bike turns over and does not fire.

The kickstand switch appears to be okay. It's plugged in.

I don't see why the bike not starting would have anything to do with the kickstand switch because UNDER NORMAL FUNCTION the bike is able to start with the kickstand down. It is only when put in gear that the kickstand switch cuts the motor (if the kickstand is down).

I put the shifter link on properly--I understand completely how the linkage works.

Squidkid, on California bikes there is this extra EVAP can crap (emissions ********) which DOES NOT ALLOW clearance for the linkage to be flipped without major relocation of the water hose and those lines associated with the extra emissions part of cali bikes. And to assume I'm in 5th gear is just an insult and a waste of a post.

And was that some ******** about a TILT sensor, because I can't find anything about that in the service manual.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I'm at a loss, I don't know what's wrong.

#14 ·
The tilt sensor is probably titled the Bank angle sensor in the manual. Shouldn't be that. Is the fuel pump turning on? You should hear a whine when you turn the key on. Is the neutral light lit on the speedo? Lastly, did you make sure the engine stop is in the run position? It's happened to others.

#16 ·
stuartwesterman said:
Squidkid, on California bikes there is this extra EVAP can crap (emissions ********) which DOES NOT ALLOW clearance for the linkage to be flipped without major relocation of the water hose and those lines associated with the extra emissions part of cali bikes. And to assume I'm in 5th gear is just an insult and a waste of a post.
hehe i was just screwin with ya, no harm intended. my bike has not started atleast 5 times and it was always just minor crap, you'll get it running stop crying. :love6:

#17 ·
Yeah, I'm just frustrated. Sorry.

I know now what the problem is, but I have no clue how to fix it or how I managed to render the fuel pump inoperable over night.

Is it possible that moving hoses around somehow screwed up the fuel pump system?

The throttle body knob has something to do with the fuel system right? I was moving that around trying to get clearance for the GP shift.

#20 · (Edited)
I don't know where to find the fuel pump fuse and relay at the moment (I don't know where they are but I'm sure a quick and resourceful glance at the manual will tell me).

But I just read in the service manual, that the fuel pump can have problems if there is a faulty "O2" (Oxygen^sub2) sensor connection. And it seems that the O2 sensor is right near the linkage and kickstand, which is where I was pushing and pulling around last night.

Only California Bikes have this damn O2 sensor.

Edit:

I don't know if I have a "probe" , but I definitely have a multimeter.

Edit Edit: Yes I think I meant idle adjuster, it's that little thing with the phillips screw in it, that's right next to the water hose and linkage.

#21 ·
It has to be something with this PAIR (california only) emission thing. Most of the components for this are right near the linkage.

The bike was fine, then I pushed on the hoses, then the next day no fuel pump.

I just went out and tested the MIL light (malfunction indicator light) and there were "no blinks".

#24 ·
NewRedRider said:
Stuart, I was thinking last night. Have you checked your kill switch to make sure it's still in the "Run" position?
It is, and thank you for thinking of me =)

I've stripped her down, tank cover and side cowls off, I'm looking for that one unplugged wire. It has to be something like that. I'm going out to prop the tank up so I can get a better view of connections.

On a side note, I thought the starter won't crank if the kill switch is in the off position. My starter is definitely cranking.

#25 ·
i would definately check the harness plug running from the fuel pump under your tank to the main harness. that connection is relatively close to those hoses... mighta broke the lock off the plug and it came apart... other than that i would do fuses. and put the fuses through your multimeter. buddy had an ole' RF600R and it stopped on him in a hard lean. checked all the fuses and they appeared okay, but when i put power across one, it was shot. i looked very very close to the fuse and it blew way down buy the plug end and not in the watch glass section... its gotta be something like this.

#26 ·
where are the fuses for the fuel pump? I am having the same problem. mine will turn on the headlights and the gauges light up, but the tach doesnt reset and the gas and mileage doesnt show. The fuel pump doesnt prime, nothing. When I hook up power to the starter lead the bike turns over but wont fully crank up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.