Cranks but doesn't start - 07 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cranks but doesn't start - 07

Year: 2007
Mods: ASV Levers, Puig Windscreen :icon_lol:
Mileage: 4200

Well, I went outside this morning to ride the beauty to work. I rolled it out of the garage turned on the key, turned on the kill switch, and pressed in the start button.

It tried to turn over for about 1/2 second, then went into a startling squirly noise like the starter was just spinning!!! Holy cow! So I leave it alone, go to work, come home, and tried to start it again. But first I got the meter out and checked battery voltage, everything was good. I checked voltage as it cranked, and never dropped below 10.6v. Same thing, no engine turn over but just the starter spinning. But I could feel pressure coming out the exhaust.

Then I figured it might be flooded, so I held WOT and cranked. Same thing. Im running out of ideas and don't want to take it to the dealership for warranty if I can do an easy fix. I spoke with my father, who is a Mechanic by trade, and he seems to think that there is a possibility with the way it sounds that the camshaft isn't turning. He also thinks that if thats not the case, then maybe the Timing Chain gear came off the camshaft for it just broke, or the Time Chain Tensioner is not functioning. He doesn't think he is way of either, but I'm hoping he is.

So what do you guys think? I certainly don't want to take this to the dealership for warranty cause we all know that will take forever to get back. If this is a simple fix that either myself or my father is missing, please let me know.

FYI, I hadn't ridden in about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks before this. And the last time I rode, I didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by rjbrittain11; 06-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Does your fuel pump hum when you turn it in the on position?

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The last time that happened to me. It was because the BAS wasn't plugged back in.

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma912 View Post
Does your fuel pump hum when you turn it in the on position?
Yes, fuel pump hums and everything sounds normal when turned to the ON possition

Quote:
The last time that happened to me. It was because the BAS wasn't plugged back in.
What is the BAS? I'm and engine N00b :sad11:
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

If the bas isn't plugged in the fuel pump shouldn't hum. So its plugged in.

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

any other possibilities???
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Check your fi plugs. Are they all in?

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Quote:
Check your fi plugs. Are they all in?
Oh boy, FI plugs? where are those? Ahh man, this is gonna be difficult....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11 View Post
Oh boy, FI plugs? where are those? Ahh man, this is gonna be difficult....
Its underneath your tank.

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Quote:
Its underneath your tank.
Ive never taken the tank off the bike before, and i don't ride this hard at all, i have a track bike for that. Does this happen just normally or is it common? Cause I couldn't figure out how to get that damn tank off!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Its not common. But I'm starting from being ok. Unless you wanna go straight to whats the worse that could happen.

Also you can check the fuses.

RR8-EP3-CL9
I <3 Honda
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Kuma, thanks for your help, I got it started!

Heres what I did. I just started cranking from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. I started with 1/4 throttle and it started up first try, but died right away. Got it started about 10 minutes later.

Here is what I think was the problem. About a week and a half ago, I did a good solid wash with a hose and nozzle. I used the SHOWER setting on it, and probably soaked it more than I should have. After I washed it, I waxed it, and didn't ride it or start it till today. I am thinking that water got in places it wasn't suppose to and stayed there, such as the spark plugs and such??? But it is started and I ran it for about 20 mintues and reved it and no problems. The battery drained down quite a bit, so it will go on the tender. Thank for your help! If the problem happens again, and not because I soaked it, I will update you.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Robert
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Year: 2007
Mods: ASV Levers, Puig Windscreen :icon_lol:
Mileage: 4200

Well, I went outside this morning to ride the beauty to work. I rolled it out of the garage turned on the key, turned on the kill switch, and pressed in the start button.

It tried to turn over for about 1/2 second, then went into a startling squirly noise like the starter was just spinning!!! Holy cow! So I leave it alone, go to work, come home, and tried to start it again. But first I got the meter out and checked battery voltage, everything was good. I checked voltage as it cranked, and never dropped below 10.6v. Same thing, no engine turn over but just the starter spinning. But I could feel pressure coming out the exhaust.

Then I figured it might be flooded, so I held WOT and cranked. Same thing. Im running out of ideas and don't want to take it to the dealership for warranty if I can do an easy fix. I spoke with my father, who is a Mechanic by trade, and he seems to think that there is a possibility with the way it sounds that the camshaft isn't turning. He also thinks that if thats not the case, then maybe the Timing Chain gear came off the camshaft for it just broke, or the Time Chain Tensioner is not functioning. He doesn't think he is way of either, but I'm hoping he is.

So what do you guys think? I certainly don't want to take this to the dealership for warranty cause we all know that will take forever to get back. If this is a simple fix that either myself or my father is missing, please let me know.

FYI, I hadn't ridden in about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks before this. And the last time I rode, I didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for all your help.
if you cam wasn't turning, either because the chain is broken or a gear is stripped (both ridiculously improbable) you'd punch a valve through one of the pistons, and i'm quite certain that's not the case here.

when you heard the "squirrelly" sound (which i have no idea what sounds like), ... you know what, i'm at a loss as to what ACTUALLY happening here. can you post a video of this phenomenon please? please be sure to move the camera around to where the sound is coming from. there's nothing more irritating than a stationary camera.

**EDIT**

Oh, i see you've got it running again. that's good to hear. i doubt water would cause such a problem. the spark "Plugs" are coil overs. water doesn't go there. i'll tell you something. for whatever reason, the CBR600RR will sometimes over richen the A:F during start up for no apparent reason. I've got NO IDEA why it does this, and no one has come up with a solid theory. the fix has always been either to let it chill out or dry out the cylinders by either holding the throttle wide open for a few battery charges or removing the plugs and using some sort of drying technique. usually the plugs are wet with gasoline or black with fuel deposits.

Like i said, no idea why it happens, it just happens and that's the fix. still would like to know more about this supposed squirrel problem though.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 06-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Thanks for the info Knightslugger.

The "squirrely" noise I was talking about...let me see if I can explain...

Normal cranking...we all know how that sounds. We also all know how a starter sounds when it just spines. So take those two and combine them, then give is a ratio of 75% Starter noise, and 25% engine cranking noise. Maybe I should have explained it like that in the first post? Sorry I'm not up to par with a typical mechanic, I'm tryin' my best here. Thanks again for the info!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Knightslugger

maybe it attempted to fire once or twice and the starter clutch slipped and that's what you heard.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
maybe it attempted to fire once or twice and the starter clutch slipped and that's what you heard.
that is very possible. It did change pitch in the process of starting. It went from a normal cranking sound, so the "squirrely" sound. I am just in the mindset that I'm a retard for washing it to aggressively and not riding it for almost two weeks afterwards. So I caused the problem, and that is not a good feeling.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Knightslugger

there is no such thing as washing it too aggressively. so long as water doesn't go in the intake or down the exhaust pipe, this bike is pretty sealed.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

hmmmm, is this a common problem when too much water goes down the intake or exhaust? I stay away from those areas when I wash, but not when I'm sleeping with Misses (HAHA) but maybe I got some in there by mistake?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
hmmmm, is this a common problem when too much water goes down the intake or exhaust? I stay away from those areas when I wash, but not when I'm sleeping with Misses (HAHA) but maybe I got some in there by mistake?
it is when you have your 2 and 3 year old's helping you...

even if some suds do get in, they just blow out right away when you start or boils off. i wouldn't be shy if i where you. i ride my bike day in, day out. rain shine or downpour. never had a problem ever.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
it is when you have your 2 and 3 year old's helping you...

even if some suds do get in, they just blow out right away when you start or boils off. i wouldn't be shy if i where you. i ride my bike day in, day out. rain shine or downpour. never had a problem ever.
but what If i spray the hell out of the bike, then don't ride it for 2 weeks? That is the case here.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
but what If i spray the hell out of the bike, then don't ride it for 2 weeks? That is the case here.
Lemme put it this way.

unless you drop the bike in a lake, it'll be fine. water is not going to hurt anything.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
923 Track Junkie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page