Front brake shudder - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front brake shudder

Alright here is what happen, I put new brake pads on my 03 with 70000 miles, I have no clue how many miles are on them I have only had the bike for 10000 miles. When the new pads went on I hit front brakes lightly at like 45 mph and I hear a kinda fast clunk clunk clunk... from the front brakes. At first I think maybe its some weird break in thing since the rotors are drilled. Either way it never went away, so I started looking into the brakes. Maybe I put something on wrong or something so I took it all apart and the brake pads have a weird wear to them almost like one spot has chatter on the rotor. I looked at the rotors and it lines up with the one set of holes, I also noticed that the rotor is loose wear the two pieces seem to be mounted together. I checked a friends bike and his is not loose. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or could steer me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Knightslugger

sounds like the rotor has past it's usefulness. the buttons are failing. that's where your clunk clunk noise is. time for new rotors... 70k... they've had a very long run.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

might want to check the head bearings...mine was loose after about 50k. Got the shudder and you could look down through the triple and see the front end shaking!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Doofie, how far down do you have to get to mess with the head bearings? I've read through the shop manual on it, but taking the whole front end apart kind of scares me. Where do I stop in that process to check the bearings?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The operation to replace them is fairly simple, don't get scared by the manual - just follow the steps and it's cake (with a hoist anyways it is)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah dude, easy peasy on the 600rr, just hoist the front end of the bike up by the frame with something and its a piece of christmas jesus pie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page