Another Gas mileage question - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Gas mileage question

Hey Everyone,

So i know there are thousands of MPG threads out there but why not one more:icon_lol:

So i just got my 2004 CBR600rr and i filled her up with 91 octane to the line.

Ive been driving pretty much all highway averaging 70mph in 6th gear.

I got back to my apartment today to notice that ive gone 75 miles on this tank and im already showing 2 bars left on my fuel gauge.

IS THIS RIGHT?!?!

What could be wrong?

What are others getting? I have nothing done to my bike. I just changed the oil and put in the Honda Brand GN4 oil and yeah. Kinda curious about this crappy mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 AM
World Superbike Racer

dont trust the fuel gauge..

and you will get better gas mileage if u use 87 octane.. 91 octane is just making it harder for your gas to combust which will make a very small difference in mileage..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

I keep reading that 91 is the way to go and that 87 will wear down the engine faster. The bike does have 16k miles on it, if that makes a difference. i was weary about the 91 cuz the manual says 86+ which i found odd, being that its a high performance bike

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

ya but all that matters is compression ratio.. search for it there is a sticky thread about it.. 03-06 have same compression ratio and should run 86+ and 07-08 have a higher compression ratio and need to run 91+
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Would it be good to ween it down by running a full tank of 89 first then the next to be 87?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 AM
World Superbike Racer

i dont think itll matter.. u can run higher octane but they add chemical agents that resist combustion.. the octane rating is basically a measure of how resistant it is to combustion.. so if it says u can run 86 and be fine then run 86!!! itll just be the best.. i run 87 in mine and no problems what so ever..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:15 AM

you could bounce back from 87 to 91 to 93, it doesn't matter. everyone is right about the combustion ratio, the higher the octane rating, the more it resists combustion. as everyone knows, the lower octane can cause "pinging" and carbon build up, but carbon build up can also happen while running only high octane. but if you run the bike like it was built to run, at high rpm's, you wont get carbon build up. but in your case to get mpg's obviously run at a low rpm. bottom line, i took a road trip out to california about two weeks ago and averaged about 120 miles to the tank. i got a lil better mpg when i ran a lower octane, it all depended on price and what the gas station offered that we stopped at. but running a lower octane in an 03-04 cannot not do serious engine damage. but you can run anything in these bikes. i mean, we ran outta gas in the middle of the moab desert, and lucky some dirt bikers stopped for us. they only had two-stroke bikes, which meant they only had pre-mix. but hey desperate times call for desperate measures, so we ran pre-mix in a 600rr and a 636, we got to a gas station with no problems. i ran the bike since with not a problem at all. but you should get at least 100 mpg's to the tank, and running a lower octane cant hurt. hope some of this rambling helps.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Definetly helps ;).

what do others think?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Jvr
Training Wheel Hero

Miles per tank can get a bit confusing. Some people may be in the habbit of running on fumes, others may pit stop as soon as the low fuel warning starts to flicker.

Miles per gallon is what you want to measure and to avoid confusing the conversation.

Personally I get about 37 mpg commuting and thats about 90 percent city riding. on the highway I average about 42-45 depending on how nice the road is. My bike by the way is a 2004 600rr.

In case you are wondering, the way to calculate your fuel consumption is to divide the miles you have ridden by the gallons you burned. Fill you tank to the line (that you can control) ride as far as you want to, when you fill up note the amount of fuel added and do the math. Use you trip meter to gauge how far you have ridden of course.

by the way Spin, is your trip meter reset broken like mine was when i bought my bike?

Oh and you other guys are right about the octain, lower octain yields better fuel econo. Spin, you need not worry about weening your bike off the high test, it will not go through withdrawls!

for those of you worried about the carbon build up, there are some great products on the market which will help break down the build up and can be added to your tank a few times a year. I like the Redline additive or Justice Bro's. if you can get your hands on some.

One last comment. If you are running on a top Tier fuel (76, Shell, Chevron, etc.) you really need not worry about build up, the detergent additives you are paying for will keep it to a minimum.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thank you JVR,

Looks like we have the same bike, mines blue :)

My reset button works, but my select button is non-functional, there for i cant change the time, unless i unplug the battery at exactly midnight, lol and i can only see Trip A.

Im keeping my eyes posted for other dash unit. I didnt notice this till saturday when i took the bike for my first spin after buying it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Jvr
Training Wheel Hero

Hey Spin,

My bikes black, and HOT in the summer but oh well!

You might want to hold off on replacing your IP, I was able to fix mine! You will need to take it off the bike and disassmble it of course. let me know if you want to give it a try.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh tight. That will be a weekend project for me. Would you be willing to PM me instructions or tell me how you did yours?

To everyone, i just filled up my tank and i calculated more than 35 mpgs. Me=happy
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Jvr
Training Wheel Hero

Sure Spin, I get that info together for you soon.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Just filled up yesterday with good ol' 87 at Chevron. I am getting MUCH MUCH MUCH better fuel economy and the same performance as i did with 91. I guess there was no need to worry :)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Bump for an update...

Just filled up my fourth tank. I got 46.32 miles per gallon my last tank using 87 octane and ive been noticing no difference in performance. I must note that i only fill up with Chevron gas with the Techron crap in it. So i guess my bike likes sip 87 instead of having 91 poured down its throat. Im so happy :)
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FYI on your gauge problem, there is a plastic key/button behind the rubber plug for your reset button that can fall out...might be your problem.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, ill have to pull it off and check. I pressed the button pretty deep though. Maybe not deep enough?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbreakz View Post
Hmm, ill have to pull it off and check. I pressed the button pretty deep though. Maybe not deep enough?
Pull off the rubber cover and use your key or pencil or something to depress the button and see if it works. If it does, you should notice that it is missing a white plastic piece. If it doesn't work, then its some other problem.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Link to thread about set/reset button problems:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=103513

Read my post #6 and check out the link to the microfiche

Picture explains what I'm talking about. I'm kind of lazy reading through threads so PM me if you have a specific question about this...I'll get back to you quicker that way.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Jvr
Training Wheel Hero

congrats on the mileage Spin, whish I could get mileage like that!

By the way, Wolf is right about the IP, the spacer between the switches on the circuit board and the rubber button cap on the outside of the panel fall out of place.

The first time I disassebled my IP to replace them lasted about 2 weeks. What I noticed on mine is that the retainer on the button that holds the white spacer in place was wearing out. What I did is sleeve the button with a tall enough piece of shrink tubing to extend up and keep the spacer in place. So far so good. 2 months and the buttons still work. The repair is a piece of cake, takes about five minutes. The hard part is getting the cluster off the bike to disassemble. Going by the book all farings have to come off. The order they come of is from bottom to top!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

My mileage dropped back down to horse crap :(. Not sure if its cuz i was riding the mountains today or if its cuz the 4th injector is now working the way it should. Or if maybe the mechanic guy took my bike for a spin to test things out and was red lining the crap out of it? Maybe after this tank of 89 octane fuel gets through her and i put 87 back in, she wont be as thirsty.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
mpg

Hey guys noticed you were all from mostly so cali....me too.
was wondering though if you guys had any mods on your bike or stock and if you were all still pulling around 35+ mpg.
I have a 520 kit, K&N air filter and a power commander...what about you guys?

2006 CBR 600RR - Red/Black *StreetBike*
2003 CBR 600RR - All Black *Trackbike* SOLD
Orion Pit Bike *SOLD

05' CBR 600RR - Sold/Missed
WANTED!!! 08'+ 1KRR for sale White/Red or all Black
and....OHLINS FORKS/BREMBO BRAKES!!!
PARTS FOR SALE: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204160
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Im bone stock, cept for the down 1 rear sprocket, i think its 520. I pull at least 35mpgs running 87, if i dont go higher than 7500rpm, ill get around 46mpg, yes 46! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page