Proper way to shift??? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Proper way to shift???

Hey guys im new to bikes and I had a question about shifting and down shifting.

1. whats the proper way of shifting up?? do u let go of the gas completely, a lil bit or what? I know the basics but it just feels like im not doing it correctly. Same thing when it comes to downshifting.

my other question is when u guys r crusing on 35 or 45 mph zones what gear ru guys in?? Ne info will be helpful. thanx guys. sorry about these noob questions but i just dont want to fudge my clutch or my bike period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
1. whats the proper way of shifting up?? do u let go of the gas completely, a lil bit or what? I know the basics but it just feels like im not doing it correctly. Same thing when it comes to downshifting.
For upshifting:

On the track, the only time i use the clutch is from N to 1. otherwise it's all clutchless. i roll off the throttle rather quickly, it doesn't go to 0%, but it's a feel thing. the idea is to get the transmission to zero load. sometimes i whack the throttle... depends. Anyway, when i get to that point, i pull up and it just clicks right into gear and i'm on the gas again.

On the street, it's the same thing, only a LOT lazier and i use the clutch because of it. but i STILL roll off the throttle ever so slightly. the RPMs never climb when i pull the clutch, and that's what you're after.

For Downshifting:

On the track, it's a Throttle whack/clutch jab/tap down/feathered release gaggle of action. all of it is done in pretty rapid succession, less than a 2/5 a second total every time i go through a gear.

On the street, i pull the throttle, click down and feather out if I'm coming to a stop. if I'm looking for more power, i roll off the throttle until the transmission is at no load (again a feel thing) and i tap down a gear and immediately get on the gas again.

Quote:
my other question is when u guys r crusing on 35 or 45 mph zones what gear ru guys in?? Ne info will be helpful. thanx guys. sorry about these noob questions but i just dont want to fudge my clutch or my bike period.
oh i doubt that would happen. but a fukd up shift will get you into some pretty bad situations. at 35 or 45 i'm usually in 5th or 6th gear if i'm just commuting. on the track, i'd more than likely be in 2nd gear, maybe 1st but 35 at the track... just doesn't happen.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
when you're upshifting, if you're preload the shifter peg ever so slightly, it'll guide itself into the next gear as you slowly roll off the throttle. That should help you get a better feel of how much you need to roll off to upshift.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
For upshifting:

On the track, the only time i use the clutch is from N to 1. otherwise it's all clutchless. i roll off the throttle rather quickly, it doesn't go to 0%, but it's a feel thing. the idea is to get the transmission to zero load. sometimes i whack the throttle... depends. Anyway, when i get to that point, i pull up and it just clicks right into gear and i'm on the gas again.

On the street, it's the same thing, only a LOT lazier and i use the clutch because of it. but i STILL roll off the throttle ever so slightly. the RPMs never climb when i pull the clutch, and that's what you're after.

For Downshifting:

On the track, it's a Throttle whack/clutch jab/tap down/feathered release gaggle of action. all of it is done in pretty rapid succession, less than a 2/5 a second total every time i go through a gear.

On the street, i pull the throttle, click down and feather out if I'm coming to a stop. if I'm looking for more power, i roll off the throttle until the transmission is at no load (again a feel thing) and i tap down a gear and immediately get on the gas again.

oh i doubt that would happen. but a fukd up shift will get you into some pretty bad situations. at 35 or 45 i'm usually in 5th or 6th gear if i'm just commuting. on the track, i'd more than likely be in 2nd gear, maybe 1st but 35 at the track... just doesn't happen.
what do u mean when u said "rpms never go up"? when I hold down the clutch to shift my rpms go down.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
what do u mean when u said "rpms never go up"? when I hold down the clutch to shift my rpms go down.
some people mis-time their throttle roll offs when they up shift. the motor will rise as soon as the pull the clutch lever in.

brrrrrr WEEERRRRrrrrrrrrrr vs. brrrrrrrrrrmmmbrrrrrrrr

if that makes sense.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
when u guys r crusing on 35 or 45 mph zones what gear ru guys in?? Ne info will be helpful. thanx guys. sorry about these noob questions but i just dont want to fudge my clutch or my bike period.
Leather Jacket, helmet, gloves, Jeans, and the bike is probably in 3rd, maybe 2nd if I am still around 35 MPH.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
some people mis-time their throttle roll offs when they up shift. the motor will rise as soon as the pull the clutch lever in.

brrrrrr WEEERRRRrrrrrrrrrr vs. brrrrrrrrrrmmmbrrrrrrrr

if that makes sense.
I cant stop laughin at your sound description. What kind of exhaust is that. Sounds sweet :icon_lol:

PCIII Power Commander
Ohlins Damper
HEL SS Braided lines Front & Rear
Pilot Power 2ct's
Carbon Yoshi slip on
Carbon hugger w/LED plate light(Tripage)
Carbon Sproket cover(Feather Carbon)
Led Flushmounts Black tinted Aero
Led pass pegs PC black(Tripage)
Rearsets PC black(Tripage)
Gas cap PC black(Tripage)
Black Windscreen
G-Craft Rear Brake Reservoir
Seat cowl
6000K HID kit(XenonRider)
Gear Indicator Mod(BrowningBuck)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I 2 finger clutch it up and down except when stopping - got that one from Reg Pridmore; other than that ...what Knight said...cept Knight there is 1st at RA, right in the bend...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Knightslugger

oh yeah, that right... yup, at the bend, in and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page