Can I Still Burp My Baby? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I Still Burp My Baby?

So i just changed out the coolant, well i had to since my buddy stuck a screw driver through my oil filter straight into the oil cooler on accident, lol. Needless to say, we replaced the oil cooler and proceeded.

So we got all the coolant out and filled it back up. Well let me explain. First, i wasnt thinking :(, second, i added about 16 oz of coolant to the resiviour, lol. Again, i wasnt thinking. I rode it around the block, everything seemed fine. Yeah, until i got everythign put back on and started heading home. Temp hit 255, started blinking and i got my arse to the side of the hwy as quickly as possible. Let her cool down, got to a gas station and waited for my buddy to come help. Pulled off the fairings and realized there was 0 coolant in the tank.

We then got some coolant and waited for the temp to come down so we could fill up the radiator. It took ALOT of coolant. So anywho, we got it filled up, put the cap on and the temp stayed at about 222 degrees while test riding in the parking lot. I decided i had enough and started to head for home. Temp dropped down to 178 on the hwy going 65 mph. It was also a cold night here in cali.

So now im noticing high temps during day riding, especially on the side streets and at stop lights. See numbers below

hwy @ 65mph = 177
side street at 40-45mph = 190ish
idling at a stop light for a minute = 225

FYI, day temp out has been in the high 80s

I dont believe we burped the system cuz we just filled up to the line on the radiator, soaked some up so we could put the cap on and then drove.

Would it be a good idea to add some more coolant to the radiator, leave the cap off, start her up for 30 seconds and then shut off, then put cap back on???

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give. There are so many posts on this but i think my situation might be a bit different. These temps are from this week. Its been about 6 days since the coolant issue. Bike seems to be running fine engine wise. Ill have to post another thread regarding if the light vibration in my handle bars is normal.

Thank you so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

quick bump to add a subscription to this post for myself
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Knee Dragger

I recently flushed and filled my coolant system too. I haven't had any issues but I too forgot to burp my system before riding. I plan on going home today and doing it.

I wouldn't think not burping would make you lose coolant though. I would think the air bubbles could cause temperature increases as it goes through the system, but not actually lose coolant. If you had to put more coolant in either you didn't put in enough to begin with or you have a leak. When I filled mine 1/2 gallon was exactly enough to fill the radiator and have some for the reservoir, just like it says for the coolant system capacity in the owner's manual.

Obviously the slower you go, the warmer the bike will be and when you are stopped is when it will be at it's highest temp. At ~220 your radiator fan should kick on and be able to drop it a few degrees to about ~210 at least even while stopped.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Man you are so lucky the engine did not seize up on you
from the numbers you posted the bike temp in all 3 conditions
are normal

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Man you are so lucky the engine did not seize up on you
from the numbers you posted the bike temp in all 3 conditions
are normal
LOL. i didnt even think of that happening! All i know is that i was on the highway for about 2 minutes and looked down and all of a sudden the evil red light started flashing and 255 was flashing as well. I got my arse over to the side of the hwy and shut that baby down!

If it would have seized i would have been SOOOOO pissed! Ive only had the bike for a week now, lol
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Hey Moe.. I know the engine didn't seize, but it is possible to warp things inside?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbreakz View Post
LOL. i didnt even think of that happening! All i know is that i was on the highway for about 2 minutes and looked down and all of a sudden the evil red light started flashing and 255 was flashing as well. I got my arse over to the side of the hwy and shut that baby down!

If it would have seized i would have been SOOOOO pissed! Ive only had the bike for a week now, lol
Its money well earned man (God all mighty looking out ) and you were smart enough to react right away others would have thought about making it to the next exit :monkey_po

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooz4u View Post
Hey Moe.. I know the engine didn't seize, but it is possible to warp things inside?
Sure man very possible and i hope that no damage has occured he was smart enough to pull over right away that by itself is very critical

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Im going to burp my system tonight and fill up the radiator with more fluid. My temp is going crazy and i just want a cool running bike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
hwy @ 65mph = 177
side street at 40-45mph = 190ish
idling at a stop light for a minute = 225
These are normal temps for me too.

As far as the warped internals, if it's acting ok throughout the rev's and after long periods running, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You were smart to pull over right away.

Radar Controllers Do It in the Dark
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef View Post
These are normal temps for me too.

As far as the warped internals, if it's acting ok throughout the rev's and after long periods running, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You were smart to pull over right away.
Hmm, ive never noticed the temps or worried about them since ive had my bikes. My zx9-r ran at like 150, but that was in MN and we have some cold nights there!

But my 600rr down here is running at like 177 and i find that pretty hot. Good to know someone else is running at these temps too :icon_lol:
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Just got done burping my system. Heres what i did....

1. while bike was still cool, removed radiator cap and started bike.
2. coolant started to rise up, started running over the neck
3. i revved lightly a few times, 5k max rev
4. shook the bike a bit, 2 big old bubbles came out. maybe 3
5. i shut the bike off and let it cool a bit
6. added some coolant to the resivour, as it was looking kinda low
7. added some coolant to the radiator
8. Put on cap and started up my baby again
9. let her warm up to about 200 and started riding around the parking lot

The temp started to drop as i was going maybe 20-30mph. I think i got the bubbles out so i didnt take the cap back off to check cuz i also didnt want to get burned like an albino without sunscreen.

So now im about to put the fairings on and head home :)

Be back on with a new post when i get home to see how she was on the hwy. My baby better not get too hot :/
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Wow, it runs about 7 to 10 degrees cooler. Even though the outside temp right now is about 15 degrees colder than it was last night. I believe that getting out those 2 big bubbles actually helped!

Im taking her out tomorrow up to the saratoga mountains with some work buddies. It should be a pretty easy going day but the forecast is 85 F

I think i should be ok, right? If she was to over heat she would have done it on the highway right? Just like the first time she over heated when there was like close to no coolant in the tank?

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with advice
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Knee Dragger

Do you have to wait until the starts overflowing to do it? Can you do it when the thermostat opens? I'm assuming that's around 170 from the fact that at idle in a garage (no wind) when my bike gets around 170, it drops about 5 degrees and then keeps warming up.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Knightslugger

How to change your coolant:

Open the radiator cap
remove water pump drain bolt
remove block drain bolt
reinstall block drain bolt
add a little coolant to the radiator
reinstall water pump drain bolt
fill radiator with coolant
start bike, allow to idle 4-5 minutes
whack throttle 2 or three time to force air out
reinstall radiator cap
fill coolant tank to upper line
watch the little bubbles
monitor your bike temperature
as the bubble become less frequent, shut the motor off
as the motor cools, your coolant level should drop
if you see fit, one more heat cycle should remove all air from the system.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I burped my system the other night and my bike runs sooooo much cooler. i had no idea that 2 big bubbles of air could make a difference in temp. Especially idle temps!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
I burped my system the other night and my bike runs sooooo much cooler. i had no idea that 2 big bubbles of air could make a difference in temp. Especially idle temps!!
it's very important. not burping the system properly can lead to hot spot in the head and block, which leads to warping.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
How to change your coolant:

Open the radiator cap
remove water pump drain bolt
remove block drain bolt
reinstall block drain bolt
add a little coolant to the radiator
reinstall water pump drain bolt
fill radiator with coolant
start bike, allow to idle 4-5 minutes
whack throttle 2 or three time to force air out
reinstall radiator cap
fill coolant tank to upper line
watch the little bubbles
monitor your bike temperature
as the bubble become less frequent, shut the motor off
as the motor cools, your coolant level should drop
if you see fit, one more heat cycle should remove all air from the system.

I must ask the all knowing a question just cause I'm not sure I did mine right. Are the bubbles suppose to exit into the coolant tank? Just asking cause when I flushed mine I didn't see any but with the radiator cap off and the whole system circulating (thermostat open) I could see bubbles coming out but nothing with the cap back on immediately.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm86sc View Post
I must ask the all knowing a question just cause I'm not sure I did mine right. Are the bubbles suppose to exit into the coolant tank? Just asking cause when I flushed mine I didn't see any but with the radiator cap off and the whole system circulating (thermostat open) I could see bubbles coming out but nothing with the cap back on immediately.
you'll see it come out the tank. tiny little bubbles. but the system has to pressurize by heating up first. the only way you can do that is to let it do it's thing with the radiator cap on. once the t-stat opens, start whacking the throttle. the expansion of coolant will force air out the over flow hose, into the catch tank.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
you'll see it come out the tank. tiny little bubbles. but the system has to pressurize by heating up first. the only way you can do that is to let it do it's thing with the radiator cap on. once the t-stat opens, start whacking the throttle. the expansion of coolant will force air out the over flow hose, into the catch tank.
Thanks man got all the remaining air after 3 cycles.

Man you just know everything but do you know why kids love cinnamon toast crunch!?!?!
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm86sc View Post
Thanks man got all the remaining air after 3 cycles.

Man you just know everything but do you know why kids love cinnamon toast crunch!?!?!
it's because there's 10 Grams of sugar in ever 3/4 cup of cereal... and one bowl is like... 6 of those so 60 grams of sugar.

that's why. i ate it too ya know. i still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page