Jump Starting a battery with bad CCA - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jump Starting a battery with bad CCA

My battery is holding a charge but the CCA are low (90). So the battery is showing a voltage of right around 12 but the CCA's are far below the 190 that the battery specs show. I have one on order but was wondering if it would be safe to try to jump start it with a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Knightslugger

sure. the car doesn't need to be started though. have you charged the battery before you tested it? 12VDC is too low. what prompted you to get a new battery or start the thread? Are you haveing electrical problems?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

recently bought an 04 and it isn't starting. The the starter just clicks. Had the battery tested and those are the readings I was given. 12V and 90 CCA. It seems as though it is the original Yuasa battery. The specs on the battery say it should be 12V 190 CCA when new.

I was having an electrical problem with the rear turn signals but I rewired them and they seem fine now. The bike powers up and I checked the horn and signals and the fuse didn't blow. The bike just doesn't turn over.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Knightslugger

did you charge the battery prior to load testing it?

you have an 04, your Regulator/Rectifier is suspect already... your new battery will not last long if the R/R is malfunctioning.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

No I didn't but when I asked the shop about that they said that the battery is charged. He said 12 Volts is charged. He said there is probably a bad cell causing the weak CCA's. Does that sound right? This is the same shop that then tried to sell me the battery for $175.

1. Would charging the battery improve the CCA's?

2. Does the R/R act as an alternator does on an auto?

Read a bit about the R/R problems and will go ahead and address that as soon as possible. Should it be replaced or moved? I read a couple of remedies on here.

Thanks for the responses. I am just learning about these things but want to learn more.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax40 View Post
No I didn't but when I asked the shop about that they said that the battery is charged. He said 12 Volts is charged. He said there is probably a bad cell causing the weak CCA's. Does that sound right? This is the same shop that then tried to sell me the battery for $175.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULL SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!

Charged is somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.x volts! man oh man, the economy isn't THAT bad... no wonder everyone want to buy online when the dealership is fuking you that badly... wow!

Quote:
1. Would charging the battery improve the CCA's?
Abso-friggin-lutely.

Quote:
2. Does the R/R act as an alternator does on an auto?
Without getting too technical, yes.

Quote:
Read a bit about the R/R problems and will go ahead and address that as soon as possible. Should it be replaced or moved? I read a couple of remedies on here.
Well, first of all we need to test it. yes the first design was bad and it should be replaced, but to teach a lesson, go ahead and test it. what you do is take a base reading of the battery. then start the engine. put a volt meter to the battery and take note of the voltage. It should be above 13 volts. then take note of the voltage with the high beam on and the rpms at 5000. it should rise significantly, but stay below 15.5 Volts. if it does not (and i suspect that it wont) the R/R is faulty and must be replaced with a 2nd generation Reg/Rect. module and bracket.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am just learning about these things but want to learn more.
you're welcome. i'm here to help and educate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for your time Knight! I really appreciate it.

Bullshit is exactly what I said when he told me the price of the battery. Luckily I found this forum and was able to find a battery for $55. I am going to run those tests and see what is going on with the R/R. Hopefully nothing.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page