Battery question - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery question

I'm pretty sure my battery is on the way out. I charge it and it's at 12.6V. So I take the battery to the dealership to get it load tested. So the guy goes in the back and tests it, comes back and tells me it doesn't past and the battery dies, I figured. But he tells me he can try charging it with their charger see if it does brings it back to life so to speak. I come back a couple hours later to pick it up, he tries again and says it work now. I'm thinking BS but I'd thought I'd see if anyone has any insight to see it this is true. Should I go some place else and try again?

2006 600RR Orange Pearl *SPARKLE SPARKLE*
www.myspace.com/irasian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Knee Dragger

My opinion: If there's only so much as an indication that the battery is going to die, I replace it, cars and bikes.
Charging it off the bike only delays the inevitable, and you are riding with a questionable battery.

---------------------------------------------
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
fully charged it should read around 13ish

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Take to any auto parts store such as pep boys , discount auto
they can get it load tested usually for free

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Knightslugger

Question: What rate are you charging the battery for, and what length of time?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Pulled the battery out of the bike and charged it with a battery tender over night. I took if first to Kragen but they don't test bike batteries but he measured the volts and said it was at 12.6V. And then I had it loaded tested at a dealership and initially it didn't pass. I'll try another place on my way home.

www.myspace.com/irasian

Last edited by Irasian; 06-20-2008 at 12:55 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Knightslugger

so you don't know what rating it was charging at...

i wonder if it was float charing it instead. 12.6 is bare minimum voltage. should be 13.something. batteries should be charged at 900mA for 10 hours or 4.5A for 1 hour. those are the specified ratings. 2A for 5 hours should be ok.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ya sorry I don't. So what should I do next? Try getting it tested again?

www.myspace.com/irasian
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Knightslugger

charge it up, test it again. 190 CCA is the rating on the battery, anyone can test them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have a battery tender plus, it's 1.25A. So should I charge it for atleast 8hrs before I take it to be retested?

www.myspace.com/irasian
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Knightslugger

sure. overnight is best. i don't like automatic chargers though. i don't like the fact that they shut off when ever they feel like it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
sure. overnight is best. i don't like automatic chargers though. i don't like the fact that they shut off when ever they feel like it.
I just bought a battery tender plus today cause i have a lowjack somewhere on my bike and it has a draw of .2 or something like that on the battery. that being said i just read that the battery tender plus goes into "storage" mode to keep the battery "ready to ride" or so it claims. I guess i'll find out sooner or later.

I need something like that if i have this lowjack drawing direct from the my battery rite?? what do you think?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paychexxx View Post
I just bought a battery tender plus today cause i have a lowjack somewhere on my bike and it has a draw of .2 or something like that on the battery. that being said i just read that the battery tender plus goes into "storage" mode to keep the battery "ready to ride" or so it claims. I guess i'll find out sooner or later.

I need something like that if i have this lowjack drawing direct from the my battery rite?? what do you think?
the battery is just big enough to run the bike, nothing more. if there's any kind of Live accessory on there, i believe that one should use an external power source to run it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
the battery is just big enough to run the bike, nothing more. if there's any kind of Live accessory on there, i believe that one should use an external power source to run it.
well accord to support, the battery contained on low jack is for backup. in other words if some ASS***E come along and jax my bike and disconnect the batt...the backup batt kix in.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Knightslugger

yes, i realize that. doesn't matter, totally different than what we're talking about.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok so I decided to get myself a multimeter and see if the battery was the problem, it was cheaper than buying a new battery.

So I took the voltage of the battery, it was at about 12.3V. Started the bike went up to 13.4V. Turned on the brights went up to 13.5V and rev'd it up to 5K went up to 13.7V.

Checked current leakage was with spec.

Checked R/R voltage reads same as battery.

Check R/R ground it's fine.

Checked R/R resistance and this is where the problem came up all three yellow wires came up about 3.8 Ohms.

So being the Electrical Engineer that I'm not, this means I need a new R/R right?

www.myspace.com/irasian
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irasian View Post
Ok so I decided to get myself a multimeter and see if the battery was the problem, it was cheaper than buying a new battery.

So I took the voltage of the battery, it was at about 12.3V. Started the bike went up to 13.4V. Turned on the brights went up to 13.5V and rev'd it up to 5K went up to 13.7V.

Checked current leakage was with spec.

Checked R/R voltage reads same as battery.

Check R/R ground it's fine.

Checked R/R resistance and this is where the problem came up all three yellow wires came up about 3.8 Ohms.

So being the Electrical Engineer that I'm not, this means I need a new R/R right?
Being the Electrical Engineer that you (nor i in all honesty, i'm just good at this stuff) are not... we cannot conclude that the battery is within specification without load testing it. To do that you need load testing equipment found at your local auto parts store. Charge the battery, (4.5 Amps for 1 hour, 2 Amps for 5 hours or 900 mA for 10 hours) take the battery to an autoparts store that can load test batteries, tell them the CCA is 190 and get your battery status.

Now, your Ohm readings really trouble me, more directly, how you said you tested them. are you testing the yellow wires that come from the Regulator/rectifier, or the wires that come from the stator cover? You should be testing the wires coming from the stator. if this is the case, and your readings are in fact above 1.0 Ohms... you need a new stator.

This is how you should be checking resistance. The X's denote testing leads, either positive or negative (doesn't matter) from the stator cover. never mind the dashes, they are there for formatting purposes.

-x--x
[O O O]

-x----x
[O O O]

----x-x
[O O O]

Last edited by Knightslugger; 06-26-2008 at 02:49 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I'm taking the test from the yellow wires from the R/R. The stator is within spec.

I marked them A, B, C. So I want AB, BC, AC.

So I'll get the battery load tested and if that passes then it's the R/R?

www.myspace.com/irasian

Last edited by Irasian; 06-26-2008 at 02:51 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irasian View Post
I'm taking the test from the yellow wires from the R/R. The stator is within spec. So I'll get the battery load tested and if that passes then it's the R/R?
The resistance in the r/r is not important, it's voltage output is. if the stator is in spec (as i've outlined the test procedures), then your r/r is not outputting enough voltage to charge the battery. you can send all the amperage you want to the battery, but if the sent voltage does not exceed the receiving voltage, no electrons will pass on.

but this is a rare case. usually it puts out too much when it fails, which causes battery failure. Yours doesn't put out enough, which is usually a sign that one of the stator windings (there are three of them, it's a 70 Volt 3 phase AC generator) is shorted or malfunctioning.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Now this is done with the engine off right? Just to clarify. Readings from the stator is 0.3Ohms across the board.

www.myspace.com/irasian
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Knightslugger

OK, that's fine then. Get the battery charges and load tested, and order a new R/R, 2nd generation is what you want. bent up bracket, heat sink facing the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page