Clicking under acceleration from what sounds like rear end or the chain - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clicking under acceleration from what sounds like rear end or the chain

I've been out riding all day today, no problems. Bike was pulling to 150 fine, had no issues whatsoever. I come home, let the bike sit for a bit, then try to ride to the gas station. What now is happening is I'd say anything 40% throttle and above the chain/rear end sounds like its clicking. The chain feels tight enough upon inspection once I took it back home, but I dont know a LOT about motorcycle upkeep and maintainence, I was hoping someone could tell me what this sounds like it could be.

I have an 03 cbr600rr, it has about 13.8k miles on it. Its lowered (though no problems previously til today). I havnt taken off any sprockets, chains, or anything on it since I got it a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by TylerC161; 06-21-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine does that when its loose, or the chain wax is running low, re-check your chain tension and see if you need some wax on it.
one of the 2 should fix your problem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just went through 19 pages of "clicking" from the search, and it seems like no one has had this problem answered. Most of the clicking sounds are being described from the front of the bike like the valves or something.

This clicking seems to be definitely coming from the rear, its like I said almost like the chain is jumping sprockets or something.

The chain could probably definitely use a lube, what type of lube should I get for it? Hopefully something an Advanced auto or Oriellies will carry since its too late for most bike shops around town.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pshopcars107 View Post
Mine does that when its loose, or the chain wax is running low, re-check your chain tension and see if you need some wax on it.
one of the 2 should fix your problem.
Whats the most proper way to check for chain tension? I did a wiggle of it up and down and it seemed like it'd be the proper amount to allow for a little slack but still be tight, but once again I dont know THAT much about bikes, I'm just trying to make my best judgement.

I was reading the service manual, do I REALLY need to remove the whole chain just to lube it? I know it suggests to clean it and all, but I can try to do the best job of that by having it on still and cleaning with degreaser or something then relube. Is this an okay practice?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had the same problem. Its definitely the chain. Theres really nothing else on the back of the bike that could make that noice if you think about it. My solution was to buy and new chain but b4 i did i lubed it VERY often. Chain wax did the trick everytime. No you dont need to remove the entire wheel to clean the chain. Its simple and there a FEW good videos on this site on how to properly clean a chain.
HERES A GOOD ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CESYb6bbM
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Demented

Measure the chain slack; that's the proper way to check. You don't need to remove the chain to lue it either.

By pulling to 150, to you mean mph? If so, everything is starting to be clear as day...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Okay well I looked on the chain cover where it says what the slack should be, and in what spot it should be. I've actually got about 3" it seems or more of slack, so I guess I need to tighten it.

Thanks for the video by the way, I'm going to go do that now
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I was tightening my slack up and I noticed Im missing a tooth on my sprocket.

I've HEARD missing one isint THAT bad and its still rideable, but how safe is such a practice? If anything i'd at least like to ride it to the cycle shop tomorrow to get it fixed, but i'd love to ride today also since its so nice out, but I'm not willing to put my life on the line for a little joy ride with a missing tooth.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
Bike was pulling to 150 fine,
i know we all do it sooner or later but i doubt this is a sound way to make sure everything is A.O.K. . I'd replace the sprocket it probbably isn't an urgent thing but if 1 tooth broke it also may have stress cracks etc. chain maintainence is a never ending thing. alot of us use chain wax as opposed to the 80w-90 the MOM says.. GL

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdog1411 View Post
i know we all do it sooner or later but i doubt this is a sound way to make sure everything is A.O.K. . I'd replace the sprocket it probbably isn't an urgent thing but if 1 tooth broke it also may have stress cracks etc. chain maintainence is a never ending thing. alot of us use chain wax as opposed to the 80w-90 the MOM says.. GL
I wasnt pulling to 150 on the broken tooth (or maybe i was, but i didnt know at the time), the 150 pulls were during my riding with the group earlier on in the day before i noticed any of the clicking sounds; the bike ran great all day.

I double checked my sprocket, a lot of the teeth look worn. I'm actually missing 2 teeth, the 2nd one is right 2 spots away from the 1st broken one. Also when I tightened up my chain i noticed the markers I had to use were in the "replace" zone. So I'm sure the front sprocket is going out too (though I have not checked yet). I'll be trying to get all 3 replaced ASAP.

Disappointing though, especially since I was under the impression these were aftermarket sprockets and its only got 13k on it. I thought I'd be good for all season.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
Disappointing though, especially since I was under the impression these were aftermarket sprockets and its only got 13k on it. I thought I'd be good for all season.
That will be your eventual downfall there. NEVER think you'll be good to ride. Always check your bike before you go out, no matter what. Tire pressure, chain slack, fluid levels, bolts, etc. You're just lucky nothing happened to you while being an idiot doing 150mph on the street. Your luck will run out eventually unless you stop throwing your safety on the back burner and check your bike.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Absolutely, get a new chain sprocket set! Demented Said it, always, always do a preride check. When we're calling you an idiot its not to degrade you but more so to encourage you to ride safer and smarter. I as well as many hate to see another rider go down. Also when your flying around at such speeds i'm sure other cars see you and then the next guy that rides responsibly is going about his way gets they bad rep you are creating! ride smart man get 'er fixed up and keep the shiney side up :-)

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What kind of sproket is on your bike now? Just curious...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine View Post
What kind of sproket is on your bike now? Just curious...
Honestly dude I dont know. I havent looked. I was told it was one down in the rear, but that doesnt make sense why I'm 10mph over real speed.

God this is gonna suck without a spedo healer being -1 +2 lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page