Anything to be concerned about? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anything to be concerned about?

Dont want to get into too much detail but I had an instance where I panicked and used too much front brake. Bike endo'd and went over along with me, it my helmet, right hand and right leg on the ground. Rode the bike home and everything seems fine.

Damage appears to be pretty much cosmetic but just want to get some input from the 600rr members. Both mirrors are gone, windscreen gone, taillight cracked, rash on the top part of the front upper fairing, right side fairing has a little rash, rear tail has a little rash spot aswell. Doesnt appear to be much major damage. The upper fairing stay is bent and the cluster came off its mounts. The crash happened when i was going about 30km/h so very slow and I stopped before I went fully over. Nothing appears to be tweaked or misaligned and as I said I rode it home without issues except my hand hurting.

Anything I should be concerned about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Knightslugger

if it drives, it's working ok. mechanically, it doesn't sound like anything is messed up.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
if it drives, it's working ok. mechanically, it doesn't sound like anything is messed up.
Yeah everything works and it drives fine.

Now ive ran into an issue though. I thought my upper fairing stay was bent which was causing at full lock the right clip-on and controls to hit the windscreen and bracket. After looking at it and playing around with putting it on the bike I dont think the fairing stay is bent but I could be wrong. The little L bracket that goes from the mirror to the middle bolt of the windscreen on that side was bent so I bent it back into shape today but it is still hitting. I took some pics and attached them below. I am thinking the clip-on may have shifted since the fall mostly happend on that side....any tips or help is appreciated.

With front fairing on

steering centered

Last edited by RedRRR; 06-26-2008 at 07:00 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Knightslugger

no pics.

could be the clip-on tab broke off and is cocked.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
no pics.

could be the clip-on tab broke off and is cocked.
Sorry about that, pictures were taking longer to email then I expected, linked them now. I will add a few more with the little bracket in place showing the contact.

Any pics of the clip-on tab?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Knightslugger

it's probably bent up, not tweeked to the side... afterall you said the dash fell off...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
it's probably bent up, not tweeked to the side... afterall you said the dash fell off...
Yeah the instrument cluster broke off its tabs, pretty much went straight forward and over but I believe it tilted to the right as my left side is completely unscathed whereas the right as all the rash etc.

So the clip-on may be bent upwards? Anyway to fix this or replace only?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Full Lock right

3/4 to full left

full lock left
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Knightslugger

stay is bent. KR Tuned has a shnazzy CF replacement!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Damn, thats what I wasnt hoping for. The stay fits perfect on the front fairing so I figured it was fine.

Side View

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If your stay is bent. Ebay has OEMs for $60+15 for shipping.

This place has them for $56 + shipping. They are OEM and NEW. http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/pages...d/7/Honda.aspx

Pick your year and then go to Upper cowl. It's part # 15.

Last edited by fwb600rr; 06-26-2008 at 08:14 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb600rr View Post
Stay is bent. Ebay has OEMs for $60+15 for shipping.

This place has them for $56 + shipping. They are OEM and NEW. http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/pages...d/7/Honda.aspx

Pick your year and then go to Upper cowl. It's part # 15.
Damn, thanks for the help guys....guess I will have to order it up. Anyone know where I can get the back cover of the instrument cluster for cheap too?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
stay is bent. KR Tuned has a shnazzy CF replacement!
I know its probably hard to tell from the pics etc but would you guess its the ear section thats bent back or the middle T section? I took off the piece just now and put the ear in a vice and bent it backwards some and it seems to definitely fit better, hard to tell in the dark without the brackets etc
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Knightslugger

it's hard to tell what's bent to be exact. it APPEARS that the ]fairing stay is what's bent...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Gonna spend some time tomorrow and try and bend the right side part of the fairing stay that bolts to the mirror and hope I can get it to line up somewhat.

Most likely will need to replace it im guessing as I probably wont get it 100% but would like to get it back reasonably so I can get back riding!!!! :)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok I put the front end back on and got the bolts all lined back up with a little force, still slightly hits the fairing stay/bracket but thats only at full lock when its parked.

Just took a little 1st gear spin in the parking lot and noticed something that may have been there before but might not have been. The bike runs and rides fine from what I could tell, the only odd thing I noticed was with the clutch. When I let out the clutch it feels normal up until I fully release it, when I fully release it I am feeling/sensing some sort of drag/grinding/rubbing. If I take up the little bit of free play on the clutch lever before it actually starts to pull the clutch in the feeling goes away completely. Hoping I just need to adjust the lever to get rid of the free play but wanted to check here since you have been of great help so far
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRRR View Post
Ok I put the front end back on and got the bolts all lined back up with a little force, still slightly hits the fairing stay/bracket but thats only at full lock when its parked.

Just took a little 1st gear spin in the parking lot and noticed something that may have been there before but might not have been. The bike runs and rides fine from what I could tell, the only odd thing I noticed was with the clutch. When I let out the clutch it feels normal up until I fully release it, when I fully release it I am feeling/sensing some sort of drag/grinding/rubbing. If I take up the little bit of free play on the clutch lever before it actually starts to pull the clutch in the feeling goes away completely. Hoping I just need to adjust the lever to get rid of the free play but wanted to check here since you have been of great help so far
i get that too, and my bike has never been down. i think it's just a wobbling pin.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, well thats good news then. I probably never noticed before and am just being overly concerned. I will probably just adjust out the slight free play in the clutch lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page