Please help me identify these 2 problems - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help me identify these 2 problems

Hello everyone. I am new to the bike scene and bought a used '05 600RR and have a couple different issues now that I discovered. Well first thing...while I was cleaning the bike I found this stray wire that looked pretty chewed up by something, tucked behind the tranny case. Can anyone please tell me what this is? The bike does have a fender eliminator kit on it, NO license plate lights, no rear turn signals (only the signals in the tail light). So here's the first pic.

Second thing... after I changed my oil using Shell Rotella, and a Mobile 1 oil filter the bike ran fine, no MIL (oil light), but as soon as I got on the bike pretty hard the oil light has been staying on. The FI is not lit, and there are no blink patterns for the oil light. The light is not consistant either. It will go on and off and random times, flickering sometimes, sometimes staying off then 80% of the time its on solid. What i did discover was that when i wiggle this thing around, I can make the light go on and off. So is it a connection somewhere near the throttle body, or could it be that after I rode the bike a wire came loose maybe touching a ground? Who knows, but here's what im talking about.

Is this knob to control the idle? Cause it changed it when i turned it (hopefully its safe to twist it). The bike runs fine with or without the light on, its just not a normal light to be on so its bugging the hell out of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Demented

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but maybe the chewed up wires are the oil sensor wires, which would explain the oil light being on.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but maybe the chewed up wires are the oil sensor wires, which would explain the oil light being on.
No, that wire in the pic has been like that and the bike ran perfect with no oil light. I just want to know what that wire went to originally. The screw set piece in the second pic is what i mess with that makes the light flicker which leads me to believe that whatever its hitting inside the bike is making the oil light come on. But its nuts how just cause I went fast one time, it started doing it. Definitely something loose.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have the wiring diagram and it shows the Blue wire with the red stripe as going to the oil pressure switch like D suggested. The sensor is down by the oil inspection window under a little dust cover, the wire follows the harness back up to the green 12p connector under the left ram air cover, then on to the gauge cluster. The idle adjust cable is probably rubbing on the main harness causing your light to flicker. The Blue/Red wire is a ground for the oil light on the cluster so if the broken end is touching metal anywhere it will cause the intermittent on/off problems you're describing.

Eric
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05rr View Post
I have the wiring diagram and it shows the Blue wire with the red stripe as going to the oil pressure switch like D suggested. The sensor is down by the oil inspection window under a little dust cover, the wire follows the harness back up to the green 12p connector under the left ram air cover, then on to the gauge cluster. The idle adjust cable is probably rubbing on the main harness causing your light to flicker. The Blue/Red wire is a ground for the oil light on the cluster so if the broken end is touching metal anywhere it will cause the intermittent on/off problems you're describing.
Thats whats crazy. This wire was discovered BEFORE the oil light issue. Ive pulled that wire out the side and the light was still on so THAT open end wasnt touching any ground. So the most important question is, what harm will be caused if that wire is disconnected like it is now? In its disconnected state, will it have any affect in oil pressure? Or is it strictly just for the oil pressure light to be activated once the sensor triggers a ground.

After what you just told me, Im guessing its safe to say that the end i cannot see on the blue/red wire probably got exposed somehow touching ground. Ill have to take apart some stuff and check.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SlowRR View Post
Thats whats crazy. This wire was discovered BEFORE the oil light issue. Ive pulled that wire out the side and the light was still on so THAT open end wasnt touching any ground. So the most important question is, what harm will be caused if that wire is disconnected like it is now? In its disconnected state, will it have any affect in oil pressure? Or is it strictly just for the oil pressure light to be activated once the sensor triggers a ground.

After what you just told me, Im guessing its safe to say that the end i cannot see on the blue/red wire probably got exposed somehow touching ground. Ill have to take apart some stuff and check.
With it not having a ground, the light will be on, if it's grounded the light will be off. The light is probably going on and off when riding because the wire keeps bumping onto something to ground itself then coming off of it. If the light is on long enough, I'm sure the ECU will detect it as an error and put the bike in limp mode to prevent any possible damage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The end of the wire you are pulling on is probably the one connected to the sensor that's why it's not having an effect on the light. If you find the other end that's when you'll see the light flicker.

It won't hurt anything to run it like it is unless you really lose oil pressure and can't tell.

Eric
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05rr View Post
The end of the wire you are pulling on is probably the one connected to the sensor that's why it's not having an effect on the light. If you find the other end that's when you'll see the light flicker.

It won't hurt anything to run it like it is unless you really lose oil pressure and can't tell.
;) Thats exactly what i was thinkin. Once an issue does actually come up with loss of oil pressure, ill never know. Yeah i kept thinking that the wire i was tugging on was connected to the wiring harness. Well i guess it was fine and then that last run just happened to shift the wire to a bad spot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Knightslugger

D nailed it on the head.

go fix it. now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page