Rusted tank turning into a world of nightmares - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rusted tank turning into a world of nightmares

I bought a 2003 600rr from a guy who bought it new. It only had 294 miles on the bike, no mods. He had let it sit with 1/4 tank of gas in it, probably the second tank of gas that was ever run though the bike. I ride on the 1/4 tank for 2 nights, then fill the tank the next night (Thursday). Friday I ride it to work. During lunch I take it for a ride and it starts bogging really bad. On the way home from work, I dont even make it all the way home and had to get it picked up. I open the tank and find that it is rusted on the inside. So I take the tank off, take the pump out and do the Kreem re-coat kit. I cleaned the pump as well as I could and stuck it back in the tank. I filled it back up with good clean fresh gas and notice that it turns a little orange so I'm thinking there was still some rust dust on the pump. It runs slightly rough at idle up to 2500. I figure it's because of the small amount of rust in the gas. I ride all week on that tank and get it back down to 1/4 tank. I fill it to about half a tank yesterday to see if the orange color gets any fainter, but it doesnt. I go to ride it tonight and it sputters like crazy all the way up to 4K then opens up clear.

What would be the best course of action? I'm probably going to take the tank back off, drain the gas, replace the whole pump, and probably the plugs. Anything else it could be? From what I understand, it is hard to get anything past the pump screen, so I doubt there is any problem with the injector. I figure the bad gas has fouled one or more of the plugs. Any other theories? All help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

A new pump is on the way and I'll be picking up new plugs today as well. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Is there a chance there may be junk in the injectors?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could run some injector cleaner, might be a cheap possible solution. If not you may need new injectors. But like you said, the screen is pretty good at stoping that crap.

2007 600 RR (track)
Steel Braided Brake Lines
CRG Levers
-1 in the front
Woodcraft engine covers
Renthol Firm Grips
Zero Gravity clear double bubble windscreen
Ohlins 25mm "R&T" Supersport Fork Cartridge Kit
Gilles VCR
E-Racing Platics

2002 Yellow 600 F4I (Street)
Flushmounts
Hotbodies undertail with integrated tail lights
Jardine RT-One Slip On

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm sorry to have nothing to add to your thread, but I'm posting because I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I would think that you could clean the pump out... unless it's a source of rust as well.

Good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not a big Kreem fan. I had my old Kawasaki's tank Kreemed and it discolored the gas, too. It's been a while so I don't remember the details but I think it did turn the gas orange. I'd look for a rust free tank...shouldn't be too hard to find.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
get another tank .. the sputtering is probably because the pump can pull gas through a blocked filter .. your injectors should be ok .. CHANGE THE TANK OUT .. i can tell you from experiance if you dont it will haunt you .. if the pump still runs dont replace it just get a new filter for it .. im sure someone here has a tank you can buy ..

07 600rr pearl white (sold)
07 s2000 232whp white (sold)
05 4runner black (sold )
98 prelude 287whp na (sold)
09 civic si 236whp taffy white (sold)
06 civic si cp black ( current daily )
13 cbr1000rr red (current project )
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well I got everything apart and there was some more rust in the screen that had been dislodged and was sitting in the bottom of the tank. I bought the pump off of ebay, I didnt want to buy a brand new one and find out that's not what it was. Anyways, I pulled the plugs and they had some particles on them as well. Everything is now apart and waiting for new plugs which I will probably pick up tomorrow, and the pump which should be here by Thursday if not Wednesday. I see there is some negativity on the recoat, some have had good luck, some havent. I took great care in recoating the tank and I think it will be fine. If not, then oh well, my tough luck. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens and how it performs.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well crap, more delay. I picked up a set of plugs yesterday and find out they are the wrong ones. They have to order the correct ones, so that will set me back another day.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

RU55ELL,
I noticed that said the fuel is still changing colour.
Why not:
1. take tank off.
2. empty the fuel into car or lawnmower
3. put a coulple of litres of fresh fuel into tank
4. shake tank like crazy - don't drop it
5. see if fuel is now discoloured
if it is - repeat 2-5

There is obviously crap still in the tank & as element692121 has said these do haunt you

Until you can get clean fuel going thrugh the tank cleaning your injectors now is like cleaning your house whilst in the middle of an earthquake...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well I found out it was the pump that was contaminating the fuel. I got the new clean pump yesterday, put it in the tank and put new gas in the tank. No orange color at all.

Now I'm waiting on my plugs to come in and I can put it all back together. I'll run Seafoam in the tank again now that everything is nice and clean to ensure that the injectors get clean.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM

is the bike now up & running?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Not quite yet, the plugs should be in today. A fun story about the plugs:

I went to Honda of Houston on my lunch break and got a set of plugs, the ones that their computer said were correct. They were $16 each. I get home and compare the old OEM plugs, new plugs and my MOM. The dealer gave me 9Hs and what was supposed to go in the bike were 9HEs. So I call HoH, talk to the original salesman and tell him they were wrong. He says "No problem, my mistake", and says the 9HEs would need to be ordered since they didnt have them in stock. I tell the guy I will try to find them elsewhere. I call Wild West Honda in Katy and they say they have 23 of them in stock. I ask how much they are and he tells me they are $28 each!!

I called HoH back and ask the salesman what they cost. He tells me $18 each. I ended up ordering them from HoH. I won't be doing business with WWH anymore, that's for certain.

I'm taking the wife out for a nice dinner and after-dinner "festivites" :hump: for her b-day tonight, so I doubt I'll have it back together this evening. It should be done tomorrow for sure. I'll post up what happens.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM

whilst looking into gettting some plugs for mine i got a quote which I thought was very respectable..

NGK laser iridium IMR9C-9HES x 4 @ 11.49 = 45.96
Shipping for 1 - 16 plugs to the UK is 13.00 plus 2.50 required insurance.
if you want the details pm me.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

figures quoted are in dollars (from an american distributor)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sounds like I should have bought them through whomever you are dealing with. Oh well, I picked mine up during lunch and should have the bike finished tomorrow evening.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Alright, great news! I got the plugs in and the bike put back together this evening and all is well. The bike runs smoother than ever before. I'll run some Seafoam thru this tank to cover my bases. I rode it around town a little bit this a little while ago and it runs like a champ. No bogging, sputtering, rough idle, nothing bad at all. I was grinning during the whole ride! :icon_lol:
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Forgot to post this, here is a pic of the rust coated fuel pump.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
danm that is nasty looking^
glad its running fine.

a tank would be easy to come by, if u still end up needing one, they can be had for as little as 100 bucks from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page