Engine Bogging/stuttering - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Bogging/stuttering

I have an 03 RR and have run into a major problem and can't even come close to resolving it. At times the bike runs fine generally when it heats up the problems arise. The engine will begin to bog and stutter at a variety of rpm ranges, from idle to about 10,000 rpm. The engine temp is normal, fan is working normal. Thought it was my PC3 but after removing it the problem still remained. Seems to really be affected by outside temp the hotter the day the worse it is. I have had the fuel pump pulled cleaned checked all fuel lines the vent is clear checked all terminals and were good. Could it be electrical and were would i start looking?... the battery is good and the terminals are tight. The hole thing is it works fine some of the time... Could this be a heat damaged ECU could it be ignition coils, engine coolant temp sensor? Just hoping to get pointed in the right direction, would appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spark plugs...same thing happend to me
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Engine coolant temp sensor is where I'd be looking. Sounds as if your bike is overfueling.
Have you looked at the plugs?
When was the last time the bike was serviced?

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM

yea i got the same problem, 03 600rr bone stock, with 5000 miles, i just changed the plugs but that didnt seem to fix anything, bike revs up fine in neutral, but when under load it bogs down from idle to about 6000 rpm. After 6000 the bike runs great, i believe thats when the second set of injectors come on but not 100%. the bikes runs alot better when the air temp is cold, and really hesitates when hot out, dont have a clue what it is, i tore the bike all apart last weekend, but everything looked good...(injectors, throttle bodies, airfilter, airbox, all the sensors looked good from what i can tell but who knows) any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance zach
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Honda seems to think its the map sensor.... ones on order so we'll see in a little bit... I'll let everybody now
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Knightslugger

hahahaha, they think it's the problem, and they're already ordering parts? good grief!

Don't techs verify problems before they get to replacing parts anymore?!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
but slugger it's soooooo difficult to test out a map sensor.....(yes that's sarcasm)
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Mine is having the same problem, i read somewhere that a few people had the same problem on bikes that have been down and they replaced the fuel filter and it fixed it?

2006 CBR600RR | Aftermarket Plastics | Micron Exhaust | Vortex Clip-On's

www.TheLocalSpots.com Built for young professionals on a budget.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedPorcelain View Post
Mine is having the same problem, i read somewhere that a few people had the same problem on bikes that have been down and they replaced the fuel filter and it fixed it?
Fuel filter -> exactly what I was going to suggest.

"Help look after a$$hole rookies so they can become a$$hole bikers!"
"You appear intelligent, but when you open your mouth, the effect is spoiled"

'03 CBR600RR Black (and silver)
Micron stainless steel slip-on pipe
Dark MRA double bubble screen
Clear headlight lens covers
Home-made Ultra-bright white
Third-Eye and blue Crazy-Eyes
16/45 sprocket setup
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Knee Dragger

03 had a problem with the voltage reg not having a heat sheild and getting hot and not charging the bike properly and causing it to cut out and spt and sputter and die!!

Opp Carbon Fiber Fairings, Carrozzeria Polished Wheels, Ohlins Rear Shock, Scotts Steering Stabilizer, Chrome Swing Arm, Stator Cover, Clutch Cover, Micron Full Race and Heat Wrapped, Power Commander, Velocity Stacks , Bmc Filter, Air Injection Controll valve deleted, Intergrated Tail Light, Flush Turn Signals.

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gettin the same thing? Lol.. My pc hooked up fine to the computer.. Everything seems to be in check but i haven't done any thurough research as of yet.. It only happens once the bike's been running for more than 1 minute.. I can shut the bike OFF, turn it on and it's fine, then again, 1 minute later it occurs.
Runs fine 6000+ On acceleration,
Deceleration is fine
It only occurs when at a constant rate of speed or consitent throttle %. Stutters, shutters etc.. Really shitty.. Feels like i'm riding a bull home from school lol

As far as plugs go.. It would seem odd to work one minute, and not the next, especially since, 1. heat is consitent within a period of 5-10 minutes, 2. On startup, bike SHOULD react in the same manner as it does when stuttering after a few minutes. It should always react the same..
However, on acceleration, if the fuel filter should disallow the necessary fuel to idle, it should be (in terms of throttle position) restricting at a much higher % on acceleration?

I'm going to check the fuel filter tonight, i'll add my findings to this afterwards!
Other than that, i have noooo ideas.. It's been about 3000km's since my last oil change, no mods acquired since my motofansclub fairings, filter is regularly serviced (twice a month) and was recently just done like normal..
ionnnooooo

NelsonMX.com

03 RR
Motofans Blk/Wht Fairings - Carbonfibre; Pass. seat, Mid-fairings, Triple cover, Fork guards, Mirrors - Goodridge S/S Lines - Yosh RS5 Full S/S - PC3 - K&N Air - BB'd Guage with DG8 - Scotts Damper - Vortex Rearsets/Drivetrain - Flush mounts - CA brake light - 6000k Lo/Hi HID - Custom licence plate flipper :)
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Well, everything checked out. My father and i decided to give one last test tonight before we put it away to determine the problem and it seems to have worked!

Basically i ran the crap out of the bike (With DECENT warm up, Hard acceleration to 14000 or limiter through gears for 25 min... basic track day run.) .. I know it sounds simple but hear me out..

Our montreal climate is becoming fairly chilly at this time of the year forcing me to ride my bike easier than normal due to the operating temp's being substantially lower, and slower to rise (OEM thermostat).
I NEVER run my bikes full out without warming up, so basically in the temperatures im faced with now, i hardly run my bike to its fullest.. cruising at approx 160-180 km/h at 7500-8200 rpm avg and no where near 6000 between shifts..

Basically what im getting at is.. Fouled plugs. due to the temperature, i'm not running my bike hard enough alongside the fact that it's very cold, the bike is compensating by running richer. By not running the bike hard enough, the plugs are consistently fouling and not clearing up due to me babying the bike.

This is a typical rule of thumb for any mechanic/motorcycle enthusiast with engine knowledge, however it never really occured to me that fuel injection would cause such an issue based on temperature. This was my belief when cross referencing to cars, but this IS a high performance engine which is meant to be run at full capacity, and not necessarily best suited for colder climates..

Anyways, i thought i'd just share my two cents. The rest of you with this issue may differ but give it a go! We seemed to have quite similar symptoms so it cant hurt to try.

Good luck to everyone!

NelsonMX.com

03 RR
Motofans Blk/Wht Fairings - Carbonfibre; Pass. seat, Mid-fairings, Triple cover, Fork guards, Mirrors - Goodridge S/S Lines - Yosh RS5 Full S/S - PC3 - K&N Air - BB'd Guage with DG8 - Scotts Damper - Vortex Rearsets/Drivetrain - Flush mounts - CA brake light - 6000k Lo/Hi HID - Custom licence plate flipper :)
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Knee Dragger

i dont even know where the damn fuel filter is... is it a pain to switch?

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleypipes View Post
Honda seems to think its the map sensor.... ones on order so we'll see in a little bit... I'll let everybody now
Did this fix it? I'm having the same problem but it would seem only after extended high rpm usage. Was blaming fuel because the FI light isn't coming on. I have almost 13,000miles on the bike. Will try fuel filter and spark plugs first.

Thanks
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
hahahaha, they think it's the problem, and they're already ordering parts? good grief!

Don't techs verify problems before they get to replacing parts anymore?!
How can you test a known good part if they don't have one in stock????

It sounds more like the fuel filter/spark plug problem other people have ran into.

Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickeled. Huh.... What....
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Guys, just to let everyone know, took the bike back to the dealership(still under warranty) and they said the exhaust flapper was sticking closed at times. It's an 07, not sure if the earlier models have this. Probably would be best if I bought the jumper I've seen here and get rid of the valve and motor for it.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
time for new plugs for me, i too have a stuttering problems at times, and the bike doesn't seem to pull up top at all
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Knee Dragger

anyone get their problem solved?

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedPorcelain View Post
anyone get their problem solved?

No, I installed the jumper for the exhaust flapper valve, still ran the same, changed spark plugs and still the same. I did make sure the exhaust valve was open. I think I have a bad coil or something that gets hot because it will run good until the temp gets up to operating temp. I still have some warranty left so I might try to take it back to the dealership but I'm thinking they might give me a hard time about the servo bypass.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Pocketbike Racer

EXACTLY! Once the bike is 'up to temp' is the key phrase. For some odd reason it runs flawless up to operating temp and then it all goes to s###'s... Really strange..

I ran my bike yesterday indoors at approx 15 celsius, new plugs, new oil, fresh gas. Like i mentioned earlier all engine work was done (Valves checked etc). I have all the lower and mid fairings off to check for exhaust leaks since that was mentioned in a post..

Ran perfectly fine?.. Strangely enough, ran 15 minutes up to 85 celsius (Normal operating temp, at least for my bike in our climate), and had absolutely no issues stuttering/bogging at any point. Held good steady rpm's throughout. Weird? Maybe plugs were the only culprit in my situation, however it seems odd since the majority of you with the same issue cant resolve it with a simple plug change..

I hope you go through with the warranty; at least if you get an inspection of some sort by an accredited dealer, they may have a solution. Must be a common problem considering so many of us have the EXACT same symptoms..

NelsonMX.com

03 RR
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm going to take it to the dealership and try to explain to them what the problem is. If I just had a fault code I could be done with it. I'm thinking it's running lean once the cold enrichment system kicks off. I was looking at my manual and it looks like there is several sensors that could either stick or have something stuck open to create a lean condition. Last time in the shop they replaced the exhaust servo motor, that kind of fixed for a while, it never has run super smooth since it first started th problem. I have noticed that when I first got the motorcycle it would run rich in the winter, now I don't get that. Btw, I have 14,000 on mine now.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Training Wheel Hero

In case anybody is having the same problem, I read back through some older threads before I took it back to the dealer and saw where some had the same symptoms and a fuel pump fixed it. Well, I bought a fuel pump from ebay, $52.00 shipped to the door and wouldn't ya know it, I still have the problem. Everything runs good until something gets hot then it starts missing again. Taking it to the dealer tomarrow.

Last edited by RichG; 03-10-2009 at 03:10 AM.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
what a headache. good luck bro
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Since working on my son's bikes it's made me quite enjoy the simplicity of carbureted 2-strokes! I don't miss the days of working on electronically controlled motorcycles one bit! Hope you guys get it figured out.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I'll be damned if some of you guys aren't having the same mysterious issues I am. My thread's over here https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...20#post2134220

The bike seems to open up and haul ass around the transition area into the secondary injectors, but below that or near closed throttle it's obvious there's something wrong, with way too much vibration and it takes a lot more throttle than it should to go. Not to mention it sounds airy and wheezy under acceleration and idle. In other words the bike seems to like running all out much better than it does idling in traffic--and if the engine gets above 200 deg for a while it gets worse too. I expect that to some extent from a bike meant to be raced and not commuted, but trust me it's really bad.

Obviously in my case the next thing to try is removing my Bazzaz FI module, but my gut just tells me that's not the problem, especially since clearing or modifying the map does nothing to the symptoms and if anything has just the subtle effects you'd expect.

Here's the crazy part though: I've also changed my plugs, and the few times I started the bike after that were very strange. The first time the bike started up like @%&* as usual, and I was totally bummed out. Then the next day I started the bike for the second time and rode it up and down the block singing cause the bike was running like an ethiopian dipped in butter from a pride of lions. Yet ever since it's been like a roll of the dice whether the bike runs better or worse every time I start it, though on average I suspect it's been getting worse again since that second time starting up. I swear it's driving me insane!

Something like a clogged fuel filter that maybe even breaks up and settles again would make sense, but can't be the problem because again there seems to be plenty of fuel available for running full throttle no matter what.

Dave Moss Forks - Ohlins shock

Bazzaz FI/AFM

Goodridge SS lines - Vesrah RJL's

Arrow headers w/ Devil can

Woodcraft frame sliders - Demented swingarm spools - Rushkie-patented FE and guages

Last edited by Rushkie; 03-12-2009 at 04:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rushkie For This Useful Post:
missmia (06-14-2018)
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Training Wheel Hero

^^^^^that's the way mine started. First noticed it on a club ride to north west Arkansaw in the beginning of september '08. It must have been 95+ degrees and we started taking it easy because it was getting late in the day and we already rode a good 250-300 miles. I just thought got some bad fuel. Cooler temps. in morning and it was running like a top again. Anyway about a month later riding around the local area I get the FI light for about a min., took it to the dealer then and they changed the exhaust servo motor. Seemed to work for awhile but I think this had to do with it getting cold here. Dealer has had it since monday, haven't heard nothing yet.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Training Wheel Hero

One more thing, mine started in the lower rpms but now I can feel it right up to redline.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Pocketbike Racer

^ Yeah I noticed I think it's the cold am startups in like 40-50 degree weather where the bike fires up fine, and after 30 seconds or so idles really low and acts like its going to die for a few minutes and then's fine. No idea if it's related to the running problems. I'll be curious what the shop says about yours, I definitely haven't gotten any lights yet.

Dave Moss Forks - Ohlins shock

Bazzaz FI/AFM

Goodridge SS lines - Vesrah RJL's

Arrow headers w/ Devil can

Woodcraft frame sliders - Demented swingarm spools - Rushkie-patented FE and guages
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Location: Asheville, NC.. where the roads are the best in the world
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm having the same problem. Here's my unresolved thread.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=129064

My problem starts ONLY at 5000 RPM. If I let the RPM get down to 5000 it starts to buck, bog, stutter etc.. I've taken my exhaust flap servo thingy out and I DO have a SOLID FI light.

Please help. SOMEBODY !!!!!

:icon_supe When life throws you curves, drag your f*cking knee.

contacts:
http://www.myspace.com/dreamkyosho
http://www.myspace.com/agrkrew
FACEBOOK: BRIAN AHN
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

The dealership called me today, they said I have to put the servo back in per Honda. Not the cables, just the servo. I guess they have it on a dyno and they said when it starts acting up the servo eliminator curcuit shows a voltage spike. So I'm going to take it by tomarrow. I did tell them it was doing the same thing before I put the servo eliminator in but they want it back stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page