Help wanted: Advice with new battery - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help wanted: Advice with new battery

I've posted this before in another thread, but I'm growing partial to this foum. You guys seem like goo people. So, here goes:

"I bought this bike Friday (JUN20). My brother charged the battery (maybe an hour, tops) and we took it on the road. We parked it and left it overnight. I went outside that night and tried to start it up, and it wouldn't start. I could tell by the luminescence of the display fading that the battery was going downhill.

The next day, I jumped it off with my car (engine off, of course). Satred it up, left it runin for about 40 mins or so. Turmned it off and left it for about an hour.Tried crankin it, nothin. My neighbor (who works at Advanced Auto) took the battery to work and trickle-charged it completely. When he took it off, it measured about 13.20. Brought it home, and my meter read it as 13.00 even. Put it in the bike, started up just fine.

Next day (Sunday) I came home from work and jumped on it, just sittin on it, familiarizing myself with the posture, buttons, etc. I started it up, and it came on just fine. I stalled it once. Started it again, came on just fine. Stalled it again. Tried starting it, wouldn't go. Voltage read 12.00, and was rising after the key was off. Jumped it off with the car again. Left it runnin, and let it be for a bit. Turned it off. Came back out like 4 hours later, started just fine. My neighbor rode it for a sec, and came back. Stalled it, and once again it wouldn't start. And I left it alone after that."

Now to date, I have since rode the bike twice (not far, maybe a block at best). Both times, I've had to "roll-start" the bike. I have purchased a battery online and it's at home waiting on me today.

For your consideration: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=370063062648 (eBay item 370063062648).

I guess I'm lookin for advice or thoughts on this battery. Maybe some pre-instalation warnings/checks? It's a bike battery, I know: you can't mess up taking the old out and putting the new in, but with my old battery causing problems already, I'm open to any and all advice. Thanks for the help!

I don't ride fast; I fly low
Puttin two wheels to the slab since 07/21/08

-- Enjikari™'s Facebook --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Knightslugger

hahahaha! it wasn't the battery at all, it was all the starting and stopping and restarting! poor bike, all the stalls and restarts takes a taxing on the electrical capacitance of the battery! you can't expect the battery to allow so many restarts without giving it a chance to recharge! letting the motor's generator/Reg/Rect charge the battery when it's dead like that is not wise. if the battery has lost it's charge, use a battery charger.

my opinion is you killed the battery (and it might still be ok), there was nothing wrong with it until you started monkeying with the bike.

Recharge the old one @ 900mA for 10 hours. then STOP starting the bike all the time. start it only when you're prepared to RIDE it. otherwise you're going to end up with the same problem. the battery simply does not have the electrical capacity to start the bike a dozen times. you'd be fortunate if you got 5.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Yea the reason for all the starts was b/c I'm new and was still working out the "let off the clutch slowly, throttle up slowly" thing. I stalled so many times. I was TRYIN to ride, lol. I'm gonna take the old battery and let it get recharged again. I'll make sure to have them charge it as you said. But what about this new battery?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjikari View Post

Yea the reason for all the starts was b/c I'm new and was still working out the "let off the clutch slowly, throttle up slowly" thing. I stalled so many times. I was TRYIN to ride, lol. I'm gonna take the old battery and let it get recharged again. I'll make sure to have them charge it as you said. But what about this new battery?
keep it handy incase you ruined the old one... these batteries should last a very long time. anyone who thinks 2-3 years on a motorcycle battery is max life should be slapped.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I think my curiosity about this new battery stems from the old addage "if it's too good to be true...". When I priced batteries around my home, $180-$200 was the range. After searching about 15 different sites for batteries, I chose this one from eBay. However, the price makes me question the quailty. I think I'm lookin for opinions on this new battery. Maybe someone else has purchased it before?

I read the post about the yausa (sp?) battery from eBay, but couldn't find it. For the price, this was the best battery I could find. I'm just nervous about a bad buy.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
my opinion is you killed the battery (and it might still be ok), there was nothing wrong with it until you started monkeying with the bike.
I meant to add in the story: the bike was sitting in a garage for about a year or more, only being started/ran (stationary) about every other month. A friend tells me that could have also played a big factor in the death of the battery.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Knightslugger

if not maintained over that period, yes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
An update, of sorts. Got home yesterday, put the new battery in the bike, runs like a champ. I wasn't aggressive at all, only started it up 3 times. I should put a bit of "product review" in the correct forum, but I'll just say it here. Out of the box, the battery had 12.78v, and once installed ran like a champ. The battery post screws use seperate rectangle bolts that are to be situated under the post itself, so they're a tad pain and can possible slip out and fall into the bike, but if you're careful it's a cinch.

So, if anyone's lookin for a battery, I'd reccomend this one. Hope it helps someone. Take care all!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you're having that much trouble "still working out the "let off the clutch slowly, throttle up slowly" thing", maybe you should be on a different bike?
just my .02
be safe.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is
a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

- President Gerald Ford, Address to Congress (12 August 1974)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
C.F.A. member / whore

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dont be afraid to give it some revs, nothin outta control but enough not to worry about stalling (it won't wheelie), just let the clutch out slowly when u do that.

2013 X5 35d (Tow)
2006 R6 (Track)
2003 600RR (Street)

2002 YZF 426 (Sold)
2000 CBR F4 (Totalled by Illegal U-turner)

Life is good
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neight View Post
dont be afraid to give it some revs, nothin outta control but enough not to worry about stalling (it won't wheelie), just let the clutch out slowly when u do that.
no, but it doesn't take much to render the steering useless, and revs do climb quickly.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Well considering that I'ver never ridden a bike before, I don't think anyone would begrudge me a few stalls. I've been practicing since I got the bike, and really, it didn't take too long for me to get the hang of it. Just trying to feel the bike out; get the gears and timing down, learning when to shift and the like. It's a work in progress, but I'm impressed with my progress.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page