I need help! gages died and running like crap - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need help! gages died and running like crap

A while back I posted about when my bike was hot the battery would die. Well, I assumed that it was the rectifier going bad....am still in the process of determining....

Yesterday I started it up (completely normal) and went to the video place to return movies (about 3 miles away). I came out and it lit up but when i pushed the starter everything went blank and the battery was dead. So, i bump started it like I usually do when this problem occurs. Today I went to start it and it's completely dead....so I bump start it and figured I'd go for a ride and see if the battery charges like it usually does. I was about 5 miles from home and I noticed my gages and tach aren't working?? I leaned up and noticed my headlights aren't working either!! Turn signals work ok (maybe a lil dim) and when it's at an idle it acts like it wants to stall unless I keep the idle up a lil bit with the throttle. If I try to rev it, it gets about half way and kinda bogs out....

the dash is completely dead except for the neutral lite. if I try to start it it doesn't even click. Obviously the battery is dead, but I'm thinking the rectifier finally **** the bed completely! how can I test this?

JUST GREAT! Nice weather, and I'm off work and now I can't freakin ride!!!!

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
Obviously the battery is dead, but I'm thinking the rectifier finally **** the bed completely! how can I test this?

JUST GREAT! Nice weather, and I'm off work and now I can't freakin ride!!!!

HELP!!
Test and record Battery Voltage, should be above 12.8 volts
Get the bike running
Test the battery voltage at idle and record.
Turn on your high beams and rev the motor to 5000 rpm, record the voltage.

each record should indicate a rise in voltage from one to the next, but be no more than 15.5 VDC
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Test and record Battery Voltage, should be above 12.8 volts=13.08 v
Get the bike running
Test the battery voltage at idle and record = 11.97.
Turn on your high beams and rev the motor to 5000 rpm, record the voltage.= 11.72

each record should indicate a rise in voltage from one to the next, but be no more than 15.5 VDC
Voltage never went up no matter how much I revved. I stoped it after funning for a few minutes and the battery then tested at 11.71 , every time I started it it would decrease a little more.

I'm going to pull the side fairing off to make sure there are no bad connections to/from the rectifier.

any other help would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Knightslugger

once you disconnect the yellow wire harness, check the resistance between the three coming from the stator.

..v-v
[ o o o ]
..v---v
[ o o o ]
.....v-v
[ o o o ]

Resistance should be between 1.0 and .1 Ohms. if you're reading close to 1, you might want to look at the stator for damage. otherwise you're looking at a new Regulator/Rectifier. has the bike been in any sort of accident on the left side? Dropped or otherwise?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
once you disconnect the yellow wire harness, check the resistance between the three coming from the stator.

..v-v
[ o o o ]
..v---v
[ o o o ]
.....v-v
[ o o o ]

Resistance should be between 1.0 and .1 Ohms. if you're reading close to 1, you might want to look at the stator for damage. otherwise you're looking at a new Regulator/Rectifier. has the bike been in any sort of accident on the left side? Dropped or otherwise?
actually, yes, it was dropped lightly on the left side . that's the way it was when i bought it. it is extremely minor though. light scratches on the mid fairing, stator cover and swing arm. the guy said it fell over in his driveway, but by the looks of it , it probably was dropped going about 5-10 mph max.

I'll go test the ohms now..... if my meter is accurate enough...it's gettin pretty old LOL
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

..v-v
[ o o o ]
..v---v
[ o o o ]
.....v-v
[ o o o ]

..v-v
[ o o o ] = 1.1
..v---v
[ o o o ] = 0.8
.....v-v
[ o o o ] = 1.0

now what? I have to take stator cover off to check for internal damage?

Last edited by hmmmm16417; 07-11-2008 at 01:54 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

update

after downloading the service manual and doing mor online searching , I decided to check another way also...hope this info helps!

START THE BIKE WITH CHARGED BATTERY - RUNS GREAT
THEN....

DISCONNECT BATTERY - BIKE DIES INSTANTLY!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
actually, yes, it was dropped lightly on the left side . that's the way it was when i bought it. it is extremely minor though. light scratches on the mid fairing, stator cover and swing arm. the guy said it fell over in his driveway, but by the looks of it , it probably was dropped going about 5-10 mph max.

I'll go test the ohms now..... if my meter is accurate enough...it's gettin pretty old LOL
Delicate parts.

Quote:
..v-v
[ o o o ] = 1.1
..v---v
[ o o o ] = 0.8
.....v-v
[ o o o ] = 1.0

now what? I have to take stator cover off to check for internal damage?
Now what? Time to order a new stator. It's way out of range! there's one for sale here on the boards, i'm sure.

Quote:
after downloading the service manual and doing mor online searching , I decided to check another way also...hope this info helps!

START THE BIKE WITH CHARGED BATTERY - RUNS GREAT
THEN....

DISCONNECT BATTERY - BIKE DIES INSTANTLY!
uh, yeah, of course it would. why wouldn't it? The bike runs 100% off the battery all the time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

so, if I replace the stator, it should fix the problem.....

I assumed that it would at least stay running without the battery if the alternator was working...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Knightslugger

why? Alternator goes straight to the regulator/rectifier, which then goes straight to the battery. the battery powers everything.

getting a new stator just might fix everything yes. no telling what kind of damage the R/R took, but i suspect it's fine, but replacing the stator is what you need to be doing right now. i would open it up and inspect everything before ordering. you might find you need to order more than JUST the stator.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
why? Alternator goes straight to the regulator/rectifier, which then goes straight to the battery. the battery powers everything.

getting a new stator just might fix everything yes. no telling what kind of damage the R/R took, but i suspect it's fine, but replacing the stator is what you need to be doing right now. i would open it up and inspect everything before ordering. you might find you need to order more than JUST the stator.
more than a stator??? not to sound stupid, but what else? maybe fly wheel? aw man..... you tellin me that i'm opening up a can of worms here? hahahaha I actually already ordered the stator....figured its a cheap place to start.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

update

Just so you know, I really appreciate the help. I removed the stator and it definitely looks bad!!

see attached pic

I'm hoping replacing it fixes the problem. anything that I can do to prevent this again? or any hints on what could have caused it?

diagnostic notes:
-the bike was dumped on the left side with extremely MINOR damage. (slight scratches on stator cover and plastic)
-previous owner installed LED signals and integrated tail with NO resisters so signals didn't flash when I first got it. Installed resisters and signals work great now.
-previous owner installed some crappy BLUE looking headlight bulbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stator.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	7895  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
more than a stator??? not to sound stupid, but what else? maybe fly wheel? aw man..... you tellin me that i'm opening up a can of worms here? hahahaha I actually already ordered the stator....figured its a cheap place to start.
Well, depending on what caused the damage in the first place will determine what (if any) additional components to be replaced.

Quote:
Just so you know, I really appreciate the help. I removed the stator and it definitely looks bad!!

see attached pic

I'm hoping replacing it fixes the problem. anything that I can do to prevent this again? or any hints on what could have caused it?

diagnostic notes:
-the bike was dumped on the left side with extremely MINOR damage. (slight scratches on stator cover and plastic)
-previous owner installed LED signals and integrated tail with NO resisters so signals didn't flash when I first got it. Installed resisters and signals work great now.
-previous owner installed some crappy BLUE looking headlight bulbs
WOW. OK, fried. electrically looks like. Maybe mechanically induced. not sure based solely on the picture. can you get me a photo of the top of the burned area? i'm looking for surface abrasions, which may indicate a bent stator cover or (unlikely) rotor.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

here are pics of the top of that coil, the stator cover and the rotor inside. the rotor does not look to be damaged at all but there was some thick "gummy" residue in the corners...possibly metal dust mixed with hot oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7904   Click image for larger version

Name:	coil 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	7905   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	7906   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7907  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Knightslugger

I agree, looks good. the residue is probably melted resin from the stator winding packing.

looks like you got away this time!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree, looks good. the residue is probably melted resin from the stator winding packing.

looks like you got away this time!
cool! My new stator should be here by wednesday. I'll update when it's installed. Hopefully it will be done with.

Thanks again for the help!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Knightslugger

anytime. just remember the lesson and pay it forward!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Installed the new stator today.

battery when not running = 11.9 v
battery when at idle = 13.3 v
battery @ 5000 rpm = 13.9 v (never goes higher than this , so I'm assuming the regulator is working??)

battery when not running (again) =12.3 v

I think I'm good! WOO HOO!!!! Now I can go ride!!! yay!!!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Knightslugger

yup. good to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page