HID Relay Harness Wiring Help... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
HID Relay Harness Wiring Help...

Hi All,

I recently purchased a HID Relay Harness from Ebay. After I wired everything up as shown in the picture below, the light comes on as I turned the key to the "ON" position (without starting the engine). Isn't it suppose to delay from turning on? If anyone know how to solve this puzzle, please advise. I'm very much appreciated.

One thing I do know is without the positive & negative terminal of the harness connecting to the battery, the light will not come on (waited for 5 minute).

Dreamzboy

Direction from the seller:

Here's my setup:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Notice the second to last picture, I left one plug hanging. It's because the high beam is manual controlled, therefore, it doesn't need to be plugged into the second ballast. Is that the reason why it comes on all the time?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
Hi All,

I recently purchased a HID Relay Harness from Ebay. After I wired everything up as shown in the picture below, the light comes on as I turned the key to the "ON" position (without starting the engine). Isn't it suppose to delay from turning on? If anyone know how to solve this puzzle, please advise. I'm very much appreciated.

One thing I do know is without the positive & negative terminal of the harness connecting to the battery, the light will not come on (waited for 5 minute).

Dreamzboy

Direction from the seller:

The relay your using isnt a time delay relay. If you want the delay you will need a time delay relay. Secondly, if you dont hook the wires to the battery it will never come on. Those wires are what feed 12volts to the lights. Wire "E" is what controls the relay. Wire "E" would come from the switch to turn the lights on and off. Wire "E" send 12 volts to the coil of the relay therefore closing the contacts sending the 12volts from the battery thru the contacts and to the lights.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Makes sense. Then what exactly is it for?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Knee Dragger

whats the relay for? its so you dont melt your switch or wires.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_600 View Post
whats the relay for? its so you dont melt your switch or wires.
I don't think it'll melt any wires without the relay. Relay is simply a switch. What's going in of your relay is the same amount that's coming out.

From the seller:

It suppose to solve the problem of having 1 head light turned on instead of both or any malfunctioning.

I don't think it's necessary for our bike. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Knee Dragger

true that the relay is so you can run both hid's. i know, i have hid's on my bike and i run them both on high beam. relays are also used to carry higher amperage. try running 40amps thru a 25amp switch and see what happens.where the relay substitutes for that 25 amp switch by using that same 25 amp switch to control the coil of the relay. dont think of a relay as just a switch. thats how fires start.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

I agreed with you that it acts like an amplifier as well which means you have a small current coming in and you want a higher output coming out, in this case to light up the HID. That's why the wires on HID component are bigger than the wires from your headlight. If it were the other way around, then yes, the wire will melt.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_600 View Post
true that the relay is so you can run both hid's. i know, i have hid's on my bike and i run them both on high beam. relays are also used to carry higher amperage. try running 40amps thru a 25amp switch and see what happens.where the relay substitutes for that 25 amp switch by using that same 25 amp switch to control the coil of the relay. dont think of a relay as just a switch. thats how fires start.
After a careful researched. Your point is proven. :beer:

How can I ensure that I do not fry my cars internal headlight harness?

During normal HID operation, you use only 42 watts (35W to run the bulb plus 7W in heat losses in ballast) instead of the 55 watts that the halogen bulb uses, which is less, but, during HID cold startup, and for the first several seconds during warmup, the HID system can draw up to triple the normal operating power to run the ignitor circuit during that time. As the bulb warms up, the current draw tapers down to the normal running level. By powering the ballast through a relay straight from the battery to HID ballast, the heavy load is removed from stock headlight curcuit. Triggering the relay only requires 0.1 amps, so stock headlamp curcuit has no problem powering that. A relay is just a remotely mounted heavy duty switch, and the trigger power that goes to it just draws a small amount of current through the headlight switch to run an electromagnet that mechanically closes the contacts inside the relay which in turn hooks battery power strait to HID ballast power terminal. This insures that you wont ever overdrive the ratings of your vehicle's harness.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you for everyone that has commented in this thread. It helped me a lot about what i want to do this winter. I am going to run both my HID lights off my high beam switch with the battery harness and for the low beam i am going to run a couple of LEDs in the headlight housing.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
You want it to do this?

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page