So my bike acted like the battery was dead, two days later it starts no problem....?? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy So my bike acted like the battery was dead, two days later it starts no problem....??

So I decided the other day to go to this local spot called Twin Peaks, for their Bikini Bike Wash. Well I had been riding around for about an hour before I got there. I sat around for about 15-20 min before it was my turn to get my bike washed. When I went to start it, the starter would turn but then my alarm would chirp, the console would flash and then die. This continued to happen for about 2-2 1/2 hours. I wasn't trying to start it the whole time but everytime I would try the same thing would happen. Starter would turn, alarm would chirp, console would flash. This guy that was helping me try and figure out what was going suggested that my battery might be dead. He said let's give you a push and see if you can dump the clutch and start her up. Sure enough immediately on the first try she started up. I rode her to three different places trying to get my battery checked but no luck. Came home put her away. Didn't touch her for two days. Now on monday all of sudden decided to try and wouldn't you know it she started up on the first try. Like nothing ever happened. I'm confused??? Can anyone help. Any thoughts...ideas??? Thanks in advance for all your input guys and gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when you were sitting around were your lights on ? maybe you drained the battery then and driving it charged it back up so you could start it up today

James
long island NY

03 CBR 600RR
01 S4
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
might need a new battery..
when a battery is cold.. it puts out less amperage
so riding around charged the battery and warmed it up..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well I wasn't sitting with my lights on and it was a hot ass summer day in Texas. Actually it was super hot, temp was 101 degrees outside so the bike was hot the whole time, even while sitting. My cousin said something about his friend had a battery one time that didn't want to start when it got too hot. I don't know.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Knightslugger

check your battery cables for tight clean connections.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
what year is the bike ?? my 03 had an issue with the regulator rectifier overcharging batteries and killing them .. they would start fine when they were cold but once ite got hot good luck .. i went though 3 batteries before i discoverd the real culprit the regulator rectifier once this was replaced the bike never ate another battery .. but the symptome you decribe is exactly what it would do .. i was told although im not sure it had somting to do with the plates in the battery when the battery was extremly hot the plates would contract and not make a good contact once cooled down it would expand and work fine .. i dont really know jack about how batteries work so i cant say for sure . all you can do is test the battery when its hot and see what kinda output you get also with the bike running and hot check to see how much voltage is going to your battery from your stator to see if your regualtor is working properly ..

07 600rr pearl white (sold)
07 s2000 232whp white (sold)
05 4runner black (sold )
98 prelude 287whp na (sold)
09 civic si 236whp taffy white (sold)
06 civic si cp black ( current daily )
13 cbr1000rr red (current project )
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the responses. It's a 2004. And I'm gonna check the battery connections tomorrow. I don't know jack about batteries either that's why I've looking forward to the advice from you guys. I was thinking about taking the battery out and taking it somewhere and having them test it for me. Would that work or should I have it on the bike when I have them check it?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluspeed View Post
Thanks for the responses. It's a 2004. And I'm gonna check the battery connections tomorrow. I don't know jack about batteries either that's why I've looking forward to the advice from you guys. I was thinking about taking the battery out and taking it somewhere and having them test it for me. Would that work or should I have it on the bike when I have them check it?
make sure u take it to a motorcycle shop
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Knightslugger

shouldn't matter where you take it. just have them test it at 190 cca. but load testing the battery only lets you know that the battery is in good condition, accepts a charge, and delivers good power.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Knightslugger what is cca??? Sorry don't know much about batteries. Again thanks for your help guys.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
cold cranking amps = cca

07 600rr pearl white (sold)
07 s2000 232whp white (sold)
05 4runner black (sold )
98 prelude 287whp na (sold)
09 civic si 236whp taffy white (sold)
06 civic si cp black ( current daily )
13 cbr1000rr red (current project )
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Knightslugger

thanks element
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Cool

Cool. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out the results on the battery. I know that one of the guys that left a previous reply said something about a regulator. I guess if the battery measures out fine then I'll have to start looking at that. I really hope it's just the battery. I've only owned the bike for 1 1/2 maybe. Now I've gone a whole week without riding and the weather has been perfect. Which oh btw, anyone in the Dallas, Texas area that ever wants to ride just hit me up here.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Knee Dragger

+2.... got my vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
check your battery cables for tight clean connections.

2005 Black/Tribal :01_thumbu SOLD!

2008 Orange/Black

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559036063VWDFAB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page