vibration/tapping when using front break - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
vibration/tapping when using front break

sometimes when im breaking with my front break.. it feels like a tapping/ vibrationg feeling.. anyone know what the problem is.,...

03 600RR - (was rear ended -write off)

06 600RR - STOLEN!

09 600RR

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

can anyone help me out?

06 600RR - STOLEN!

09 600RR

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
its spelled: braking, with your brake!!! could be a warped rotor...or..

Last edited by ExSRAaron; 07-28-2008 at 10:44 PM.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
same problem

i know what you are talking about. It feels as if the caliper has gone loose and feels as if the brakes are "jumping". rite? or well thats what i experience when i brake hard with the front.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

^^^ yeah thats exactly it.. it doesnt happen all the time tho

06 600RR - STOLEN!

09 600RR

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

have you changed pads recently? dropped the bike? there could be several things causing this, little more info is needed befora an accurate diagnosis can be had
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the same problem. Under really hard braking (from 60mph or so) the entire front end starts to shake violently it feels like I'm riding over rough terrain. I took it to the dealer and they told me to check the tire pressure. I haven't done it yet but I will and let you know the result. I started out with the dunlops that came stock with the bike and now have pilot powers 2ct. Its has a different psi rating which I only realized yesterday. I just had them filled with the recommended psi thats shown on the swingarm sticker. Hopeully it works...

2009 CBR600RR Phoenix
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

^^ mine doesnt shake violently like yours.
when im breaking hard.. right before i come to a complete stop.. i can feel it. it just feels like tapping. i took it to a honda dealer when i had it serviced, and i told them what was happening. but they said they couldnt feel anything. its weird. like i said it doesnt happen all the time

06 600RR - STOLEN!

09 600RR

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Macho Office Monkey

I honestly want to say what your speaking of is normal of sport bike when breaking hard. My 08 does that when breaking hard as did my 03. I am also interested if anyone has more info on this. But for some reason I think that is normal under hard breaking. Mine does not shake violently or anything just a mild vibration more less. I agree as well that it does not happen all the time eather weird.

08 600rr Orange/Black
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=144174
Wifes new ride so pumped!!

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

Same thing happens on my 08. I would describe it as a pulsing in the break lever. It hasn't seemed to affect my breaking it just feels weird and makes me wonder.

PS. I don't remember it ever happening on my 06.

2008 CBR600rr Graffiti
2007 CBR600rr Race Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred View Post
For Whores By Whores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
WTF?! The curse of the NXL100 continues....

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

i have a similar tapping...i have rolled the bike forward with it off and grabbed a hand full of brakes then i hear it...upon further inspection i noticed that the pads are shifting forward when the lever is pulled and then shift back when the lever is let loose...i have EBC HH pads on the bike..i dont get shake or bite like a warped rotor..it only has a clunk sound...weird but another rr said he gets the same on his track bike..pads just shift forward then fall back to neutral..not sure if this is the same but i think its normal for aftermarket pads..they seem to float freely quite a bit in the calipers

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Macho Office Monkey

^^^ even with oem pads I think its normal hopefully someone will know. I might call my dealership tomorrow and ask them.

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have heard this is a characteristic of floating rotors. I dont have anything to back it up one way or another, but something to consider
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 AM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
mine does something like there where right before i stop and i'm braking hard enough it will be lke a fine vibration that i can feel and hear too. my boyfriend told me not to worry about it--he said he couldn't feel it when he rode it.

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try this - ru nthe bike up to 40-50mph and stop slowly - do you feel the front end pusling? if yes you most likely have a warped rotor up front - if no run the same test again only go for a stoppie this time and brake HARD - if you feel the front end pulsing now you again have a warped rotor, only it's slightly warped not very warped. Had this happen on my 03 - drive it on the street and you'd never know the right side disc had a high spot in it - brake into turn one at Road America however and it felt like somone was hitting hte front end of the bike with a hammer
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Ok I checked my tire pressure and its a michelin pilot power 2ct and on the sidewall of both the front and rear it's rated at a max psi of 42 cold. The rear tire was always at 42 but I had the front tire at around 36psi because of the tire info on the swingarm.

I inflated the front tire to 40psi because I didnt want to go to the max but I wanted it close to it. Went on the road to test it and the shaking is virtually gone. I did a hard stop from 60mph to 10mph and another from 100mph to about 20mph and I couldn't make the front end shake. Also the vibration from slow stopping had been greatly reduced (not 100% gone but happens rarely now).

I still have the stock pads on with 10k on the odometer. The brake fluid needs to be flushed because the brake lever is spongy. Once I change it hopefully the vibration will disappear completely.

2009 CBR600RR Phoenix
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Knee Dragger

Hmmm, 36psi is the appropriate pressure in the front tire, but no vibration at 40psi...did the vibration show up with that tire when it was new? If yes you might just need to get the tire balanced (and check to make sure it's round, I got a bad 2ct rear this year with 2 flat spots in the tire center)
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Macho Office Monkey

Its weird becuase if mine was a warped rotor first off it could not happen after 1500 miles secondly it would not come and go it would happen all the time. I am unsure of what this vibration is I know it happened from time to time on my 03 600rr as well.

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Knee Dragger

I noticed that too. Never thought tire pressure would affect it but I guess I would give it a try. However when I flushed my brakes I noticed that it rarely happens anymore.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkinson3 View Post
Hmmm, 36psi is the appropriate pressure in the front tire, but no vibration at 40psi...did the vibration show up with that tire when it was new? If yes you might just need to get the tire balanced (and check to make sure it's round, I got a bad 2ct rear this year with 2 flat spots in the tire center)
I also had the vibration with the stock dunlop as well. 36psi was the normal psi for the stock dunlop that came with the bike but it was also a different compound. Its harder than the pilot power 2ct. Im not sure but I'm thinking because its a softer tire it just my require a higher psi. Both dunlops and pilot powers 2ct's are the same size but different compounds. Maybe that could've been what might've been causing the issue. I got my rotors checked and they aren't warped and the brake pads have plenty of life left. My fluid just needs to be flushed.

2009 CBR600RR Phoenix
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Hope that's all it is bro - fluid is a cheap fix, btw I've run both the DUnlops and the 2cts on mine - 30psi at the track and 35 street - shouldn't be any vibration from the tire itself - let us know how the flush works out
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandy12 View Post
Its weird becuase if mine was a warped rotor first off it could not happen after 1500 miles secondly it would not come and go it would happen all the time. I am unsure of what this vibration is I know it happened from time to time on my 03 600rr as well.
It sure can happen after 1500 miles. It can happen in under 1 mile. Brakes = High friction creates alot of heat. If your heavy on the brakes and drive through some water or something, this could cause it to warp. Not all discs are perfect either.

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftn3rdon1 View Post
It sure can happen after 1500 miles. It can happen in under 1 mile. Brakes = High friction creates alot of heat. If your heavy on the brakes and drive through some water or something, this could cause it to warp. Not all discs are perfect either.

Yeah you are right, only thing is I dont think it would be a issue only sometimes. If I/we had warped rotors I beileve that it would happen durring all braking which it does not. I could be wrong but common sence says it would occur at least more offten than not with a warped rotor.

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I have heard this is a characteristic of floating rotors. I dont have anything to back it up one way or another, but something to consider
id second that. brought it to my dealer because my 08 was doing that, the salesguy gave me some lame excuse about leaking calipers and ****, i told him to talk to my elbow cuz the hand ain't free and i asked the head mechanic.

some really experienced old guy came out and tried the bike before he told me it was the floating rotors, i forgot the details about what he described but there you have it, it's them floating rotors characteristics, causes a little chatter or vibes in the front on hard braking sometimes.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Stainless lines + motul DOT 5.1 fluid + Vesrah RJL pads (my setup) = absolutely no problem whatsoever. firm, progressive lever feel, no fade, no vibration, consistently awesome all the time! I would start with stainless lines and better fluid. your rubber lines could be flexing and causing this "vibration"
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Thumbs up

Got the brake fluid flushed (which was a PITA) and all is well. No more violent head shakes and vibration is totally gone. I flushed the front on Friday and the rear on Saturday. Went up to the mountains today (after I tested the lines around my neighborhood) and the brakes worked really well. The stock brake lines are trash. I can tell that they are expanding because I have the brake lever adjuster on the furthest setting and it pulls in way more than it used to. Next upgrade is galfer ss brake lines.

2009 CBR600RR Phoenix

Last edited by nevcbr; 07-27-2008 at 06:26 PM.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_RR View Post
^^ mine doesnt shake violently like yours.
when im breaking hard.. right before i come to a complete stop.. i can feel it. it just feels like tapping. i took it to a honda dealer when i had it serviced, and i told them what was happening. but they said they couldnt feel anything. its weird. like i said it doesnt happen all the time

I noticed the exact same thing that you are describing here on my 07RR... it is definitely not warped rotors I know what that feels like.. When I first felt it I did a full inspection of my brakes and couldn't find anything loose,, I figured it was just a little play in the floating rotors and maybe a little play in the pads,,, after reading this thread I feel confident that the cause is the floating rotors
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Mine was a loose steering head bearing... they will loosen up after a few thousand miles. If you look through your triple while hitting the brakes see if your forks/calipers are moving = bearings.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcbr View Post
Got the brake fluid flushed (which was a PITA) and all is well. No more violent head shakes and vibration is totally gone. I flushed the front on Friday and the rear on Saturday. Went up to the mountains today (after I tested the lines around my neighborhood) and the brakes worked really well. The stock brake lines are trash. I can tell that they are expanding because I have the brake lever adjuster on the furthest setting and it pulls in way more than it used to. Next upgrade is galfer ss brake lines.
Galfer -2 ss lines plus sintered pads = holey S%^T stopping power hehe - that's what's on my 03 anyways
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
I noticed the exact same thing that you are describing here on my 07RR... it is definitely not warped rotors I know what that feels like.. When I first felt it I did a full inspection of my brakes and couldn't find anything loose,, I figured it was just a little play in the floating rotors and maybe a little play in the pads,,, after reading this thread I feel confident that the cause is the floating rotors
Just started looking for this today and me three, I get it on my 07 RR as well.

It's so intermittent that it's hard to pin down. Like someone up top said, it's not a shaking or vibration really, but a light pulse through the bars like a tapping. No more violent than the vibration of the engine at idle but it's noticeable sometimes when braking hard and just before I come to a stop.

Anyone know if it could be the HESD adjusting itself for lower damping at low speeds? If you are braking hard, it could be adjusting the damping force pretty quickly from high to low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page