took Front fairing off and bike shut off - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
took Front fairing off and bike shut off

I have some LED's in my air intakes and one of them keeps going out so I took the front fairing off to get a better look at the wiring and then the lights wouldn't go on. All the lights on the bike went out. Then the starter would crank but the engine wouldn't crank. I took it to a shop and they gave me a story about it being corrosion on the fuel pump. (ran perfectly before I took fairing off)
So my Questions are:
Why would the lights go out on the whole bike and why would it shut off the fuel pump?
How do you or do you have to reset the fuel pump?
Is there a diagnostic tool that I can plug into the bike that will help me pin point future problems?
Also read about the tilt meter so maybe I could of set that off to turn off the power to the whole bike so if so how do you reset that?

BTW this is an 03 CBR 600. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks~Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Knightslugger

did you check to make sure all your connectors were plugged in correctly?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
How about the bank angle sensor ( the one betwenn the head lights did you mess with
that at all ) how is the battery fully charged or not let us know and will go from there

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM

sounds alot like the problem i had on the weekend. pull of the little triangle cover below the seat and the left hand side, there should be a yellow connector with about 10 wires( guessing not sure on exact amount) all green ( green = ground ) check that out if nothing seems bad with the key on squeeze the connection and see if your lights come on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My money is on the bank angle sensor being disconnected...(grin)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkinson3 View Post
me too. or at least, upside down if he took it off... why he would have disconnected it is beyond me... I've only removed 3 connectors when taking my upper off. the dash, and the two main harnesses on the left.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

ok so we've all put our money on what the problem might be and no ones heard back from this guy WTF
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,
First off thanks a ton for the replies. Second sorry I was MIA, had no internet connection. The bike is running, the shop got it running. I'm just wondering for in the future if I have to take the front fairing off again, and this happens again, how do you reset the bank angle sensor? Also is it common for the sensor to kill the power to the lights or is it just to the fuel pump? I bought the bike from one of my buddies that did a couple of custom lights to the front so I didn't even see the bank angle sensor when I took off the fairing due to all the wires all over the place so I'm going to clean that all up this weekend. I'll have to read more into parts of the bike before I try to take them apart from now on. Thanks again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Knightslugger

The BAS isn't something that requires resetting, per say. a quick off to on with the kill switch is all it takes if it's tripped. it only effects the fuel pump.

but i still don't understand what all you did. if all you did was remove the upper fairing AND NOTHING MORE, it could have been that you shorted a wire.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
bank angle sensor.........
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
The BAS isn't something that requires resetting, per say. a quick off to on with the kill switch is all it takes if it's tripped. it only effects the fuel pump.

but i still don't understand what all you did. if all you did was remove the upper fairing AND NOTHING MORE, it could have been that you shorted a wire.

Yeah I learnt this myself the other day. Took the bike off its rear stand and put it on the side stand and it wouldnt start, fuel pump wouldnt kick in. Hit the kill switch on and off and she was as good as gold.

I didnt think the BAS was that fragile?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's not that sensitive, you might have something loose under the cowl. From practical experience you have to practically lay the sensor on it's side to get it to kill the motor
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
It's not that sensitive, you might have something loose under the cowl. From practical experience you have to practically lay the sensor on it's side to get it to kill the motor
agreed......
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I must of had a loose wire. It's probably the LED's that's not working. I didn't try to the kill switch, just used the ignition key and went on off with it so that was most likely my mistake. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page