Bike wont start! PLEASE HELP - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike wont start! PLEASE HELP

Heres the story. I have never had a mechanical problem with the bike with 9k miles on it now. I took my first long trip on it a little over a week ago, about 750 miles to deals gap and back. The bike set in the garage for the next couple of days. Then when I go to start it, it just cranks and cranks but never fires.

What should I check first in this situation? The plugs or connections? I dont know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Suggestions??? Anyone have a similar problem that can help? Thanks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Knightslugger

First of all, what's the year of your bike? secondly, do you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on and flip the engine run switch to RUN?

Why are details necessary? well, it helps me run through the electrical of the bike in quick order and eliminates a lot of possible leads. for instance, the engine run switch on the 2007-2008 operates differently than the 2003-2006 in that even if switched off the bike will crank but fail to run.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there is a diagnostic port under the seat. i cant remember where it is at exactly but like knight said, need more info
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The bike is a 03 and the fuel pump primes when I turn the bike on. Nothing seems out of the ordinary besides the fact that it just wont start.

I talked to a guy who owns a gsxr and he said he had a problem like this and it was a sensor that had vibrated loose or something. He says it happens to a lot of sportbikes and explained to me how to fix it but I dont see what hes talking about. I guess this could be the problem because I've had a lot of bolts mysteriously go missing that I can only figure is from vibration.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rider24 View Post
He says it happens to a lot of sportbikes and explained to me how to fix it but I dont see what hes talking about. I guess this could be the problem because I've had a lot of bolts mysteriously go missing that I can only figure is from vibration.
and at this point, neither do i.

try this. charge your battery, then hold the throttle 100% wide open. do this until the battery dies. charge it back up, and try to start it normally. see if she goes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks knightslugger I'll give a shot. I have held the throttle open all the way and cranked it for a while. It attempted to fire once by doing this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Oh and I forgot to mention that the low fuel light was on when I rolled in the last time. It sitting for a while low on gas shouldnt have anything to do with it should it?

Also if it is a sensor that maybe came loose does anyone know the locations of them so I could check? Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rider24 View Post
Oh and I forgot to mention that the low fuel light was on when I rolled in the last time. It sitting for a while low on gas shouldnt have anything to do with it should it?

Also if it is a sensor that maybe came loose does anyone know the locations of them so I could check? Thanks
CKP or CMP sensors are the only two i can think of that would also cause this sort of surface issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page