White smoke - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
White smoke

So, basically when i'm commuting, i was told by a couple of my friends that i'm shooting out some white smoke from the exhaust pipe. I read some other threads about the bike being new so the exhaust packing might be causing that, but i'm not too sure. Anyways to break down the problem in detail, I would be riding for a good 30mins on surface streets at a temp of 220F. I don't romp on the throttle either on account of the bike is new to me and its only got ~5.3k miles on it. SO when i saw the smoke myself, its only spewing white smoke once in awhile, and i'm thinking when the bike gets hot is when it has the white smoke. IN all honesty, i'm kind of worried because i thougth white smoke was a cause of some burning oil in the system. I'm going to do a coolant flush and oil change this weekend so that I know the fluids are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ask your friends is it a little smoke?
or
just when you are on the gas
or
a constant stream/flow of gas...

IGOT new stuff ...disco helped me good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Yes, I agree 100%, Canon Cameras SUCK! .
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I seen it myself, but only from the mirror(and got off the bike and saw it). My friend also said its not that thick white, more like a thin poof of smoke...the thing is its not always puffing smoke out, but when it does, its pretty consistent, but i find that when I shift up to higher gears to let it coast at a lower rpm range..the smoke starts going away. I don't see any signs of over heating, as it never has gone past 225 and for long(when it does get that high, i just cruise it in super high gears to let the engine cool off a bit). Out of curiosity, for argument sake, lets say the smoke was thick, what would that result in? And lets say its thin white smoke..what would that be a result of. My 600 is pretty new with low mileage, so I wouldn't jump the gun to assume really bad things as of yet. My only theory is that the bike is only low 5k mileage, so I'm assuming, i need to be easy on the throttle a bit more since its just getting out of break in period?iono

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Break in period on a 600rr is 600 miles, engine should be good and loose by then - one thing to ask - does this happen more in the early morning or later evening, could just be the motor chewing thru the dew point - I know I get steam at those times once in a while, btw anti-freeze i nthe exhast will make it smell very very sweet whereas oil in the ignition chamber 9 times out of 10 results in a blueish tinged cloud - pure white is probably water vapor
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yea, sounds like vapor to me.

"
Bring a spare clutch lever and drive it through his heart. It's the only way to kill a bike thief."-ZachRR
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil burning = bluish smoke
Running rich (to much fuel)= black smoke
Running lean (too much air) = white smoke

Correct me if i am wrong.

So do you have an aftermarket air filter ?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdog View Post
Oil burning = bluish smoke
Running rich (to much fuel)= black smoke
Running lean (too much air) = white smoke

Correct me if i am wrong.

So do you have an aftermarket air filter ?
im thinking your right but i also think that white is coolant and that there should be any smoke just alot of extra heat if your running lean. but i might be wrong its late for me so im sry if i tried to correct your rightness :D
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Haha, thanks guys. I don't think its over heating...i could be wrong since this is my first bike. Its not like its constantly doing this. I think its more in the afternoon. But as soon as it comes, it goes. I think i'm just going to have to have my friend ride with me and see. BUt thanks a lot for your input!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRR View Post
im thinking your right but i also think that white is coolant and that there should be any smoke just alot of extra heat if your running lean. but i might be wrong its late for me so im sry if i tried to correct your rightness :D

You may be right. But Wouldn't it be awsome to see green smoke if if were the coolant:icon_lol:.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM

I think that would be a problem cuz i dont think id wanna get it fixed, that would be awsome
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

OKay guys, I'm still mind boggled with this smoke. But since its a newer bike, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume nothing is wrong....all the awhile i'll keep watching to see if the smoke persistently grows worse as well as change all my fluids and try and clean everything up. under the fairings. I'll keep you guys updated.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Man sounds like the bike is running somewhat hot. whether Im doing 25mph or 80mph my bike runs at 175 degrees. At a stop in mid day traffic it only goes up to 225 degrees. To me there might be a possible busted head gaskit or cracked head. You can pull all your spark plugs and look and see if they are all the same color. If you have one that looks black or wet that would be the cylinder passing coolant through the exhaust. And in my experiance a light white smoke is coolant getting into the combustion chamber.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Wow...that serious? Are there any socal guys near the san fernando valley willing to help fellow 600rr rider out? I need someone to check this out with me....i'm really concerned about this...and will probably discontinue riding the bike, until it is solved.

Edit: My bike, is not over heating...i think i'm not explaining myself very well. When i'm riding with minimal to low traffic light stop riding my bike will stay at around low 180F. Only when i'm stopping often or having to idle for long periods of time...is when the bike will start going to higher temps. The smoke only comes out once in awhile, and is never consistent. I can't really tell the smell..because of the helmet..and its not really a strong smell..but if I had to take an educated guess, I would say its coolant. I'll see if i can check out the spark plugs this weekend to determine the color and condition...BUT ANYONE IN THE SOCAL AREA PLEASE HELP

Last edited by Webb26; 08-01-2008 at 04:26 AM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check you fluid levels regularly for a while while riding regularly - if the white stuff is engine coolant guess what, you'll be losing coolant at a pretty good rate
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Yea, my old beater car had a coolant leak and would spit out white smoke after the engine would heat up. Oil leak is blueish smoke so its not that. I'd def keep an eye on that coolant. Like someone else said on here, it may also be running lean. I've heard lean gives a white smoke too but i may be wrong. Are there any mods done to the bike? Aftermarket parts without a tune can give you problems.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
+1 on monitoring your fluid levels,,, it doesn't sound like oil burning but I would monitor that just to be safe. If your bike feels like it is running fine I would still ride that way I could check it the fluid levels are going down... so I suggest you put on al least another 100 miles while monitoring the coolant and oil levels (don't ride hard), if either go dawn you know what your problem is (oil burning may take more that 100 miles to notice). if neither go down you are likely running lean
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yea I think I'm just getting paranoid at this problem. But to be honest...i think/hope its running lean. This is my first street bike, so I wouldn't know if it was running out of its norm. To me, the rr seems to be running perfect...and then i see some white smoke, and a burn smell. But its odd to me that it only happens once in awhile. IF i had to choose a problem I'd assume its running lean because the bike seems to be running to what I call normal. But to me, i feel like i have to go slow sometimes, to keep the engine from heating up fast. Not sure about other riders...but i feel like the temp varies way too quickly...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

TTT bumpitybump
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Its still under warranty right? Take it in
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Alright guys, the smoke is back again...it happens more often now...but when i say more often, i just mean that the occurrence happens more often...not in a way that is spews smoke once the engine is on. I still don't get it...coolant level is still the same, oil level is still the same. This weekend i'll check the plugs and see what they're telling me since I really have no clue.

OKay so if i'm running lean...how would I adjust the A/f feed in order for it to run correctly?

Last edited by Webb26; 08-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb26 View Post
Alright guys, the smoke is back again...it happens more often now...but when i say more often, i just mean that the occurrence happens more often...not in a way that is spews smoke once the engine is on. I still don't get it...coolant level is still the same, oil level is still the same. This weekend i'll check the plugs and see what they're telling me since I really have no clue.

OKay so if i'm running lean...how would I adjust the A/f feed in order for it to run correctly?

I think a power commander will fix the running lean problem.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

lol...and spend a good amount of money...not knowing if it'll fix the problem....
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 AM

I believe you can get a block tester for under $50 to test for excessive hydrocarbons. This seems to be the logical choice.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:31 AM

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
lol...and spend a good amount of money...not knowing if it'll fix the problem....
Lol. Yup. I know. This is what i would do though. Borrow a power commander from a friend for a day and test to see if the problem goes away. Does the smoke come only in the mornings ? Or does it come at random times. Do you pop wheelies ?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

NO wheelies...doesn't do it at startup...if anyone in the socal area is willing to let me borrow the PCIII for testing issues, let me know...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
NO wheelies...doesn't do it at startup...if anyone in the socal area is willing to let me borrow the PCIII for testing issues, let me know...

Where in socal are you located? I have a Mak box. It is kindda like a Yosh box. If your bike has a 16 pin socket at your ecu it may work.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Northridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page