Charging system issues. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Charging system issues.

Haven't been able to go much more than a week without having to change my battery (this is with daily riding). Had the battery tested at Autozone, and they gave it a thumbs up. Had the electrical system tested and was told everything seemed ok and it all pointed at a bad rectifier. So I snagged a new rectifier and installed it, but I'm still only getting ~12.4 volts rather than the 13+ I'm expecting. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to avoid a ton of shop time, as I don't have a million dollars to spare while they piss around and rack up labor charges.

This is an 07 CBR600RR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Do you have any mods on the bike that eats battery juice such as an Alarm
high wattage headlight bulbs , leds etc etc or is it 100 % stock

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadji View Post
Haven't been able to go much more than a week without having to change my battery (this is with daily riding). Had the battery tested at Autozone, and they gave it a thumbs up. Had the electrical system tested and was told everything seemed ok and it all pointed at a bad rectifier. So I snagged a new rectifier and installed it, but I'm still only getting ~12.4 volts rather than the 13+ I'm expecting. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to avoid a ton of shop time, as I don't have a million dollars to spare while they piss around and rack up labor charges.

This is an 07 CBR600RR.
I'll bet you didn't test the rect. before you replaced it.

List your electrical mods and recent crashes... particularly any to the left side.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No mods other than some white bulbs for the headlights (not HID) that I've been running for quite a while, much longer than this issue has been around. And no, I didn't test the rectifier before I replaced it. The mechanic said everything else tested fine, and the last thing left was the rectifier. Took his word for it and replaced it. I don't blame him if he's wrong. He gained nothing out of it, since I purchased the part and did the labor myself. He had no reason to try and work me over.

I recently replaced the stator cover due to a crack from going down. I'm guessing that the stator, while it may have appeared to test ok, is perhaps not. Being that there are a limited number of things that can be at fault, at least it won't take too long to pin down.

A guy at the Autozone I frequent is currently going to MMI, and offered to check it out. He has the added bonus of being able to take it to his instructors if need be. Plus, he won't charge a ton, since he gets some welcome practice.

A buddy also suggested a bad ground, but I've not seen any loose wires.

And hell, work's over. Time to head home.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadji View Post
No mods other than some white bulbs for the headlights (not HID) that I've been running for quite a while, much longer than this issue has been around. And no, I didn't test the rectifier before I replaced it. The mechanic said everything else tested fine, and the last thing left was the rectifier. Took his word for it and replaced it. I don't blame him if he's wrong. He gained nothing out of it, since I purchased the part and did the labor myself. He had no reason to try and work me over.

I recently replaced the stator cover due to a crack from going down. I'm guessing that the stator, while it may have appeared to test ok, is perhaps not. Being that there are a limited number of things that can be at fault, at least it won't take too long to pin down.

A guy at the Autozone I frequent is currently going to MMI, and offered to check it out. He has the added bonus of being able to take it to his instructors if need be. Plus, he won't charge a ton, since he gets some welcome practice.

A buddy also suggested a bad ground, but I've not seen any loose wires.

And hell, work's over. Time to head home.
Work aint done yet.

Test the resistance between each stator winding. disconnect the wire harness with the yellow wires coming from the stator and start testing the the lines coming from the stator (MOTOR OFF) a-like... a-sooo....:

..X..X
{O-O-O}

..X.....X
{O-O-O}

.....X..X
{O-O-O}

My guess is that you might have buggered up the install of the stator and it burned one of the windings out.

and shame on you for replacing before testing.

as a warning, if you do this test with the bike on, DO NOT TOUCH THE CONTACTS. that is 3 phase AC coming down those wires. 70 Volts each... you go ahead and do that math. meanwhile i'll call the paramedics.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 07-31-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page