HELP! Honda shop told me this about coolant problem... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Honda shop told me this about coolant problem...

My bike had been over heating and then coolant started leaking closer to the rear of the bike. I went in a few weeks ago and paid almost 400 dollars to replace water pump. This fixed my leak for awhile, but my bike would still get to the over heating point. I only got about 1-2 good rides in before the bike started leaking again. This time it was coming from the radiator. I just took the bike back in and they found the hole in the radiator and they are telling me the hole in the radiator was from when i crashed, which is possible, but I was only going 5-10 miles an hour, plus the crash took place before the first time they had looked at the bike. All the bike did was fall to the side and slide maybe a foot or two. They say i need to replace the radiator, thermostat, and some other part that mounts with the thermostat. I forget what he called it. I am not mechancally inclined.

This is what I'm concerned about. If the hole came from my crash, shouldn't they have found that problem the first time they checked my bike when they were trying to find out why it was leaking. ALSO, since the bike never stopped over heating after the first time in the shop, wouldn't that be a thermostat problem? Shouldn't they have caught that the first time too?

I hate the idea for having to pay twice for a problem I was expecting to get fixed the first time in the shop. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on how i should deal with this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You are getting jerked around.

They should have found the radiator leak the first time
Its not impossible that it happend in the fall, but its very unlikely. Regardless, if its got a hole its got a hole, what does it matter.
You need to get with a local member from here or some other friend that knows bikes and take them with you to this shop
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I would like to find someone that knew their stuff. I'm in Twentynine Palms, Ca. The only thing here is the marine corps base. I don't know if anyone on here is from around there. I'll try to call around and find someone that might be able to help me. The radiator was never leaking until about 1-2 rides after they replaced the water pump. So, I dont know if something else caused it, or if the high temps made something blow. But as you said, I konw they should have caught that crap. This place is known for it sh!ttiness. Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
The water pump is $125. How long did it take them to replace it 5 hours??? I would find another place to take your bike or a local member that can lend a hand. Pick up a manual and some wrenches. You will love learning about your bike. Check with the place and see if they have any warranty covering the work they have done. If they did the inspection of the bike after the wreck you should have been informed of it. That's a lot of parts damaged from a low speed crash. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

not sure how long it took, my bike sat there for about a week while it was apart and awaiting the parts to come in from order. I would like to try and do it myself, but I am moving across country one i get out of the marines here in 5 days. since i dont know what i'm doing, i dont want to take the chance of it not being done before i leave. I actually have almost all of the coolant parts at my house that they will need. I was thinking about bitching until maybe they can do something about the cost of the labor maybe.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
That sounds good. A manual is really nice to have. It shows you everything. If you have some tools you should be able to do almost anything on the bike with it. I would check on here in Mich to see if anyone wants to lend a hand. A week for parts, I know Honda has 3 day shipping max. Order from them all the time, unless the part was on backorder.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
C.F.A. member / whore

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
shooot i got a spare water pump for 50 bucks and the install is simple as a dimple.

2013 X5 35d (Tow)
2006 R6 (Track)
2003 600RR (Street)

2002 YZF 426 (Sold)
2000 CBR F4 (Totalled by Illegal U-turner)

Life is good
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
radiator removal and install
about 2 hours with a service manual and a break in between
water pump less than that.

at least its not a 1000rr where you have to drop the motor to get to the waterneck bolts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Hey bro what shop did you take it to?
I work at desert cities honda in thousand plams and I haven't heard of a bike that came in with that problem, call the shop and tell them whats going on, they know there sh!t, I'll pm u the number.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hey everyone, thanks for the opinions. heres the update. I went down there to hutchins in yucca valley. They gave me an estimate of 368 for labor because i supplied the parts. The radiator alone was gonna cost me 460 somethin from them. They said it was about a 5 hour job for the radiator and thermostat and to put everything back together. I said it was too much cause I'm moving to michigan on thursday, so I was just gonna take care of it when i got home. They said they would do the entire job for 200. I took that offer. ya iw ould have like to do it for free myself or with someone, but I really needed my bike up and running for when i get home this week. I thought it was really cool for them to do what they could to help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page