Let's just say I rode without an oil cap for 4 miles... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Let's just say I rode without an oil cap for 4 miles...

Long story short, I rode her (unknowingly) without an oil cap for about 4 miles worst case scenario (read https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=111168 for the full story). It's dark so I didn't check the oil levels (I probably will tomorrow and give an update), but it appears that only a little leaked out, since there's not much on my pants or the bike. That, and when the bike is running, the oil light isn't on.

Any chance I did any damage and if so, how much?

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
check the oil level, if its within the window, id say ur fine, if its a tad below, then refil it. like u said, u only road for a few miles, even if u ran 2 quarts for that long, i doubt that it would do any serious damage (maybe a bit of metal shavings and thats it, worst case).

its not a big deal, just the fact that they touched it which pisses u off. ive been there. i got stock rear turn signals and the light cover popped out somehow, it wasnt dropped cuz i looked all over for new scratches, just the thought of someone touching it made me worry about it more than it really was..

it is wat it is, some people can be real f*ck tards, just refill the oil and buy a new cap and forget about it, thats wat i would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic1219 View Post
Yes I understand target fixation. I have had it for 5 years (since the 600rr came out)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay, I'll do that. If I can recall correctly, I did overfill a little at the last change, so I'm hoping it's all gravy.

I just can't believe someone would do such a thing...

Well, I can now I guess.

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if there is oil in the window, I would say your fine. Honda's are tough, and a little low oil aint gonna hurt it, unless you hear crap grinding.

have you seen the video on here where they put water in the honda civic(?) engine and abused the hell out of and it just wouldnt die. your little bit of missing oil wont even be noticed by the engine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no oil light? no pinging or grind sounds? oil in window? id say that engine was still runnin smooth like butta! so are you. its all butta an gravy bro.!

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I doubt you lost enough oil to be below the minimum level. Sorry to hear about this, there are a lot of jerks out there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Knightslugger

not sure why everyone is talking about an oil light activation... there's no oil level sensor on the CBR600RR, just an oil pressure low/high sensor... which i guess technically if there were no oil in the bike (or at least not enough to feed the oil system) there wouldn't be any pressure, hense the light would activate... but i'm just sayin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page