HELP! Gas Leak - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HELP! Gas Leak

Came home from work today to see a pretty good size wet spot under my bike... definitely gas. I rode about 100 miles this weekend washed it yesterday and did notice a very small amount on the left side of the frame but didn't think to much about it. Today it has turned into a steady drip about every 5 seconds. When I rock the bike back and forth I can hear a sucking noise of air coming from the bottom of the tank area. Anybody have an idea as to what happened?? I have ridden it about 2,000 miles this summer and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Demented

Check the drain hoses on the tank as well as the fuel line.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Knightslugger

absolutely! Check your fuel lines and any work you've done under the tank cover. does the leak get larger if you turn on the fuel pump?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

well i found the source of the leak, there is a very small hole on the left side of the tank. this should be an easy fix but it is making me worry some... there is also a small dent in the tank where the hole is. this doesn't make sense as it is a new tank. when i started thinking about what could be causing the leak i realized that the strong suction noise when i fill up didn't happen this weekend. i talked to my uncle who owns a car dealership and he said if a tank isn't properly vented that it can actually pull so hard on the tank it can dent it. (i don't know if this applies to bikes or not) anyways i guess i'm going to fix the hole for now and hope that takes care of it...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Knightslugger

the tank breather should take care of that, unless it's pinched shut.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

where is this tank breather that you speak of? i'm worried that if i fix the hole i'm just going to have the same problem down the road... i think this may be the problem cause none of my friends bikes make near as much noise when they open the gas caps (an f4i and an 03 rr) thanks for the info

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Knightslugger

tank breather is on the bottom of the tank and is the smaller of two hoses that are routed to the ground.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
it's one of the two rubber hoses underneath the tank, just make sure they are not kinked.

"
Bring a spare clutch lever and drive it through his heart. It's the only way to kill a bike thief."-ZachRR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah if vented it shouldn't make any noise when you open it. Definitely sounds like a pinched line
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Smile

well i fixed the hole in the tank yesterday during my lunch break with some epoxy which took care of the gas leak part. once that was fixed i waited about 10 minutes and opened the gas cap and the suction sound was back. so four hours later i get home from work and start looking at the hoses and i instantly found the cause of all my problems... i guess the previous owner had a temporary moment of retardedness and decided to stop the occasional drop or two of gas from coming out of the hose he would just cram a wirenut in the end of the hose. needless to say that hose is there for a reason and if it were meant to be plugged i think honda's engineers would have done it to all the bikes. anyways... i fixed the tank and the actual cause so i think it should be good to go, thanks for the input.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

oh... and no more suction noise from the gas cap

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think that now would be a good time to go over the whole bike to check that the last owner hasn't done anything else dumb....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page