Dumb question about bar ends... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb question about bar ends...

For starters: I am mechanically challenged... All the work I have done with my bike has been supervised...

However... Ever since purchase of my bike the R side (accelorator side) has been just not right. The bar end turns, and has a 2-3mm gap between the bar end and grip end.

So I decided to try to fix it, but it won't screw in further. So I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and went to the other side, unscrewed that one to look at it and make sure things looked the same - which they did. Screwed the other side (L - clutch side) back on, and now it won't go all the way on! What am I doing wrong here? *these are stock*

It screws in, but then the entire thing just turns, including the inner part. There is a section that is grooved to lock in or something, and after turning it, it is very apparent the entire thing is spinning. I just don't get it

"We don't ride fast, we fly low"
Quote:
SLAPS808: i needs to go there. tell chicks i got 3 kids. get caught lying, wait for to tell me to pound sand...then im in there like swimwear. i like it. haha

CTM_Patron: chicka you gotta do track..it's like 20 min orgasms every hour for 8hrs:all_cohol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yea, i hate bar- ends. my stock bar-end fell off on the track, then i bought some chrome ones and they fell off. then i bought some blue ones and they fell off. i no longer use bar-ends. i already have frame sliders and spools- that's enough for me. i don't notice any increase in vibration from taking the bar-ends off either which is what i was worried about.

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It's ok if they rotate when you twist it by hand (shouldn't just spin freely) however if there is a gap unscrew it a bit and use a rubber mallet to tap it back further. It's like a wall anchor basically.

My Highside wreck

Phil 4:13

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are they OEM? If not get new ones specifically for your year and make.

You even have to push and tighten the OEM's to get them flush, but be sure you hold onto other side so you don't tip it over.

2007 CBR 600RR (white/silver)
- Leo Vince titanium slip-on
- Pazzo shorty black/red clickers
- '06 tailight mod + custom plate hanger/LED frame
- T-Rex matching sliders and spools
- Lockhart Philips smoke flush signals
- Carbon fiber hugger
- SportTech black chrome windscreen
- open air intake mod
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

If I am not mistaken most bar end assemblies have rubber grommets in them that expand when compressed. This is to hold them in place inside the clip-on. The reason for the rubber is that the weight and bar end are suspended inside of the clip-on to counteract vibration of the clip-ons.

Most likely if you loosen up the bar end and tap it in as suggested earlier, then tighten it back up this will fix the issue at hand. I know others gave this same advice but I figured I would explain the way the bar ends work so that maybe that would help you assess the issue.

Get the one and only 600RR Playstation theme here.

You don't refer to retarded people as 'retards', You call your friends retards when they are acting retarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
...there is this new thing its called sarcasm, ever hear of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck_y_lee View Post
Chicks never pass on my semi.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucleaRR View Post
If I am not mistaken most bar end assemblies have rubber grommets in them that expand when compressed. This is to hold them in place inside the clip-on. The reason for the rubber is that the weight and bar end are suspended inside of the clip-on to counteract vibration of the clip-ons.

Most likely if you loosen up the bar end and tap it in as suggested earlier, then tighten it back up this will fix the issue at hand. I know others gave this same advice but I figured I would explain the way the bar ends work so that maybe that would help you assess the issue.
:iamwithst
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Thanks guys! I will go home and beat it, and let you know the outcome...:icon_lol:

Quote:
SLAPS808: i needs to go there. tell chicks i got 3 kids. get caught lying, wait for to tell me to pound sand...then im in there like swimwear. i like it. haha

CTM_Patron: chicka you gotta do track..it's like 20 min orgasms every hour for 8hrs:all_cohol
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

I know on the 05 the ends of the barend are notched, and sits into the notch on the inside of the clip-ons. If the 2 notches dont line up that will cause a gap and wont let you tighten the barend all the way. Then to tighten it down, you have to hold the barend steady while you tighten the screw that holds it in place...at least that is how mine is.

I found out about the notch when one of my barends fell off.

FIG JAM

Quote:
Ride with your balls on your feet.
Important Satety Information: http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/corona.html
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i have been having the same problem. both stock and recently lost a shogun bar end. i put locktite on the screw and put that mofo in tite, no problems since! its kinda stupid to have bar ends screw in, when you twist the throttle in a direction that loosens the screw! they should make em snap in snap out.

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Okay... I see the notchs, lined em up, held it steady and screwed... no luck! Then I loosened it a smidge and smashed it with a hammer... no luck! I then decided to call it quits again. Frustration levels are building. How hard am I suppose to be hitting it? I have 30 guys comin to the house on Sat night, so one of them may be willing to hit it for me...

This is getting annoying...

Quote:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_chick_nh View Post
Okay... I see the notchs, lined em up, held it steady and screwed... no luck! Then I loosened it a smidge and smashed it with a hammer... no luck! I then decided to call it quits again. Frustration levels are building. How hard am I suppose to be hitting it? I have 30 guys comin to the house on Sat night, so one of them may be willing to hit it for me...

This is getting annoying...
just get aftermarket clipons and stop worrying about the junk stock ones then u wont have to worry about ur bar ends.. problem solved

"I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life to Arrive Safely At Death"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-Pac View Post
just get aftermarket clipons and stop worrying about the junk stock ones then u wont have to worry about ur bar ends.. problem solved
You're so smart :)

Quote:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-Pac View Post
That will work but bar ends are there for a reason. They are weighted to reduce vibrations. Aftermarket clip-ons are usually for race/track application where people could care less about vibration.

My Highside wreck

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc View Post
That will work but bar ends are there for a reason. They are weighted to reduce vibrations. Aftermarket clip-ons are usually for race/track application where people could care less about vibration.
Vibration can be cool :P

No I am going to seee if one of the guys can fix it tomorrow night at my partay!
Before we bust into da fridge:

Quote:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

I figured you'd want it on the seat and not the clip ons. Though any boy toy of yours might get a kick out of a shaky hand after a long ride. lol

Damn, I'm missing a good party...

My Highside wreck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page