soft brake lever - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
soft brake lever

i have a trackday coming up so i decided to change pads and brake fluid. before i did this you could pull the lever in to the bar with a good bit of force. its set on 1

i replaced pads and bleed brakes, this is the first time i did either. now the lever can not be pulled in to bar but it still gets close and i want to change it from 1 to a higher setting so its closer.

is this normal or should the lever not move far at all?

i was not getting any more air out of either caliper. any ideas thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you had stock levers before and put some aftermarket adjustable ones. The adjuster on the lever is to bring the lever closer or further to the clipon depending on rider preference. If you have the lever all the way out it is not going to touch your clipon when you pull on it. You have to move it closer. Also if this is your first time bleeding you brakes, test it out before you take it to the track. If you find the brakes spongy when applying force to it, you have air in your lines.

P.S. Do not press on the brake too hard. You have new pads. Get used to it. You can flip over the bars since the new pads will be "grippier." (<- is that even a word?)

Last edited by rdog; 08-06-2008 at 01:34 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Knightslugger

The brake lever has always been adjustable for reach.

bleed your brakes again. also, check your pad alignment.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

no i did not put new levers on.

i want a firmer lever, i read it can not touch the bar when pulled hard for the track. but if i adjust the lever it will. i do not want this.

how can i make it firmer so i can bring it closer to bar but not touch it when squeezed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
bleed your brakes again. also, check your pad alignment.

^ what he said.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Still sounds like there may be a bit of air in the system. Did you try bleeding the air at the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. To do so it's easier to have a buddy help, but basically you apply pressure to the brake lever and slowly loosen the bolt till some fluid comes out and tighten the bolt. Use a paper towel and be careful cause brake fluid can eat paint quickly

Last edited by Wolley; 08-06-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by morssolis View Post
no i did not put new levers on.

i want a firmer lever, i read it can not touch the bar when pulled hard for the track. but if i adjust the lever it will. i do not want this.

how can i make it firmer so i can bring it closer to bar but not touch it when squeezed
New levers will not make the brake pull harder. Do as KS said and bleed your brakes and check the pad alignment. The lever shouldn't get anywhere close to the bars when set to 1.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

what do you mean pad alignment?

i was just out on it for the first time and its not as soft as i thought, its much firmer than before. the problem now is when i adjust it closer it hits the fingers i am not breaking with.

also these are semi metallic galfers, i got the wrong ones i wanted hh but what ever. should they be noisy at first
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Demented

Just make sure that the pads are aligned in the calipers right.
All pads will be noisy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you want a firmer feel to the brake lines you'll need to replace the lines, get a galfer -2 set and the HH pads and don't use more than 2 fingers even or you'll be on your head. The stiff feel to the lever at a certain distance from full open has to do with how much fluid the master has to move to make the brake pads grab the rotors - stock is a -3 line with a junction block (read flow restrictor), "Supersport" lines are the -2 spec narrower internal diameter (.02 vs .03) and rewuire the movement of less fluid to do the same job. I run Galfer -2s and the HH pads on my 03 at a lever setting of 3 and even with fade I'm not in my other 2 fingers. So I'm gonna disagree with Slugger (for once hah) and say your lines are likely clear of air and properly bled - you just are looking for soemthing the stock parts aren;t going to provide.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

i have so many miles on it with air filled line i feel like i am re learning how to brake. its great feeling.

today i kinda forgot how little i need to pull on the lever and did so far to hard lol. i scared myself.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Demented

If you need to pull far less, then there's no air in the line. You don't want the brake lever to have a lot of travel and be able to reach the bars. You should only be braking with 1 or 2 fingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page