Damaged Bolts - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damaged Bolts

any one have any experiance with cross threaded bolts. I have two on my 05 600rr one on the chain guard screw broke off inside hole closest to the fron sprocket. and one holding my bottom plastic on the right side if your looking at the bike from the rear. what do i do. can this be fixed or are they forever gonna be cross threaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I had this problem when i last wrecked.

Now it sounds to me like they are not cross threaded but broken off inside the holes right?

if so there is a special extractor bit you can buy, looks like a tapered drill, u can pick one up for like 4 bucks at any hardware store.

Also by the (and i forget what its called) but it's a wrench with two handles and keeps even pressure as you unscrew the bolt.

***PROCEDURE***
take a nice titanium drill bit and drill a hole perfectly in the middle of your broken screw. be sure to keep the bit cool because if you break ur titanium bit inside then you're f**cked. water and oil will suffice.

once you have your hole insert your extractor bit into the hole, make it tite, but no hammer is necessary. now use your special wrench, now i remember, Tap Wrench...and attach it to the extractor bit and slowly turn counter clockwise, slowly and steadily

with luck it will unscrew ur broken bolt/screw out of it's little hole.

be careful with ur titanium bits, i broke one off in my tank cover screw hole and now it's messed up forever :(

if it's crossthreaded there is a certain set of tools, Tap and Dye set, that you can use to rethread the holes

good luck

"
Bring a spare clutch lever and drive it through his heart. It's the only way to kill a bike thief."-ZachRR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks i hope i can fix this with out too much head ache.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You can still usually get a broke titanium coated drill bit out, it just a lot of determination.

For the size of the bolt in the chain guard good luck, you will have to get the smallest extractor and proper size drill bit. If it all fails, I believe the holes on the swingarm use a riveted on nut so they can be replaced. The right rear fairing bolt goes into the frame so don't mess that up. You can still use a Helicoil if you do, to replace the threads if you can't get it without messing up the threads. If the threads are ok then run a tap through it to clean up the threads.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup... just need a screw extractor to get the broken screw out. For the crossthreaded holes, you would need the tap and dye set. Just make sure you use the correct size thread (metric) and that you go in straight with the tap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page