Another battery issue/charging problem? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another battery issue/charging problem?

I've got an 04 with 11,000 miles on it and am having the battery issues. Lately its been getting like 100 degrees around here and not really sure if that has anything to do with it but figured I'd note it. I've always hooked a tender up to the battery and stored it inside on a bookshelf during the winter.

Basically if I ride with my high beams on for awhile and park the bike for bit, then get back on to ride it'll barely start. Which the next time I park it, and attempt to start the second time it won't start at all. The gauge cluster will flicker and reset itself numerous times. And the lights go out and then back on. I don't do any hard riding. I commute nearly every day when the weather is nice. I haven't had to jump start it, or push start it as everytime its died its been in my driveway so far. I've learned to keep my lowbeams on when I get to far away from the house as I know it may not start again.

It never appears to go COMPLETELY dead but only for a few seconds. And then the gauge cluster lights back up.. I left it on a trickle charger last night, and did some tests with the voltmeter this afternoon. I don't have my truck today but figured I'd take it to advanced autoparts and get them to load test it. Figured I'd post here as well and see if anyone had any input.

5000 RPM Test + Highbeams: 14
Motor Idle: 12-13
Resting (Engine off): 13.24
Starting (Highbeams on): 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

No clues...............?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you have a 4 year old battery !

Get it tested - theres a fair chance you may require a new one.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I forgot to mention that when I am riding, if I use my horn it sounds terrible. Like it sounds like half a horn..? And it'll sound like this after riding for awhile.

When I charge it right off the driveway its loud, but then after riding and starting a few times it sounds terrible and really low pitched.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Knightslugger

Voltages look OK, your idle voltage is a little low (This was done with the HB off correct?)

Get your battery load tested. I'll bet any money it has low capacitance (CCA will be much lower than 190).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page