Burning oil - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Burning oil

Okay guys, I had another thread floating around about white smoke...i think i found a really good clue. When i first had the bike, the oil level in the inspection window was at 3/4 full, and after about 300miles, its almost at the halfway point....but i can tell its has gone down. I started to smell the burning oil on my clothes...so I wouldn't say I'm super concerned, but I do want to take care of this before anything worse may happen. What can I do to check into this problem to find a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Bump...now i know for sure the bike is buring oil...but i rarely see, if any, smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. I honestly don't know the history of this bike from the previous owner, but i don't think the problem could be a head gasket, since upon receiving the bike, it had really low mileage and the fact that i don't see much smoke or any problems in performance. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might be piston rings, or the valve seals...that migth be causing this oil to be leaked somwhere in the combustion chamber. Any suggestions in how to pin point/problem solve this situation?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how many miles does the bike have?

There are really 2 solutions: Fix your engine, or buy a new one.

Fixing - Min $250 for head gasket and all the bolts and o-rings that will need to be replaced upon tearing into the engine. Plus parts (pistons and rings are about $500) Valve work, I have no idea the $. Countless hours of cleaning and assebly to do the job right.

New engine - I've bought one for $600 and have seen them go for $1000 or more. EBAY

New pistons and rings with the other parts looks like about $750.

Valva job would be cheaper and a lot less work ($ = headgasket + parts)

If you think it might be the valves, I'd look into it. If you need new pistons, I'd look into another motor.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Bought the bike with just under 6k miles. It has about 1.5 k since i bought it. Coolant levels are fine, oil level seems to vary since i know its burning oil. I honestly don't know what the cause of the problem is, so i might just have to bring it to a shop(since i don't want to take it to the dealership) and have it go under a compression test. I guess i'll go from there and see what happens. If it seems to be a problem...i might just sell the bike, and get something else...=( I don't want this bike to be a money pit like all my other car projects.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
How about a simple compression test and upon the results
determine the course of action ie do not speculate until
your sure of the problem

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

All 3 solutions will be expensive if you take it and have the work done.

The compression check will tell ifit is piston blow by. If the pistons are good, has to be the valve seals.

For my own interests: What year bike and are you in Ohio or Cali?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm in CA and the bike is a 06 with about 7300k miles. I was planning on doing the rebuild myself, depending on the severity of the problem. I'll get the CT done, and if it is leaking, well the leak down test will follow..i'll keep you guys updated.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

If you need some help, let me know. Did one rebuild and one engine swap on my '06. I'm kinda familiar with the bike.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Cool thanks..i'll let you know after what happens with the CT. I'm usually down in redondo beach so it be closer for you anyways.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

Just a side note, I have an engine that I was thinking about re-building but I really don't have the time and min $300 in parts just to put it together not including re-build parts. The heads are fine and I'd have to check the pistons. Engine has 2.5k street miles.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Cool! thanks for the relay of info. I'll let you know what happens. I'm just really busy with school right now, so i can't really get anything done till the weekend at best. Are you willing to part that engine? What year did it come off of?

Edit: BTW does anyone know any reputable shop around the san fernando valley? I just want to get a compression test. All the shops i've been to look a bit sketchy and not for the faint of heart.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
World Superbike Racer

Engine is from an '06.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

So i've been checking my oil level regularly and it seems as if it is going down. I'd have to say in about 2weeks, riding ~300-400miles, my level has went down from near topping off to about 1/4 oil left in the inspection window(keep in mind that it is still in the "okay" area. I usually check the oil after about 10 minutes of not running, and then i'll check early in the morning when all the oil has drained down. I think what i'll do is remove the lowers this weekend and see if there is any dripping of oil, then i'll probably change its oil and put on a new filter, and new drain plug gasket..and see where it does from there.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ good idea bro

1st ... id take off the fairings and do an inspection to see if there are any loose bolts that oil could leak out from (if i were you . i would take a wrench and tighten all of them just to be safe)

2nd ... after tightening all the bolts . do the oil and oil filter change change

3rd ... take note of your new oil level ... go ride and then check again .... if the level goes down then i think there are problems with your pistons (i hope im wrong and that there are nothing wrong with your bike)

4th ... if the oil does go down .. ill take it to a reputable shop and get a compression test

5th ... do all of those stuffs i mention ... give the result ... all the good ppl here and i will try to help you out on what's next to do

good luck bro

Снайперская винтовка Драгунова оператор
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

THanks...its not like a dramatic drop in oil level..it just happens over a course of a couple weeks. So i don't know. I'm just hoping its leaking from the drain bolt or something...i'll have a look at it later..and keep you updated.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

^just an update...i still haven't had a chance to get any compression test done....but came upon this thread as i was in my search.....

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...ht=oil+burning

As of right now, i'm just really unhappy with the bike, and am considering trading in spending a bit more in financing to get a bike that wont go to downhill on me. I hope things can get fixed(under warranty) in a reasonable amount of time....or I will be forced to trade in...right now my faith in honda motorcycles is diminishing....

Last edited by Webb26; 11-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Demented

If you're getting white smoke, you're not burning oil. Oil burns with a blueish tint. At around 7,500 miles, the rings shouldn't even be anywhere near bad condition to allow oil to pass. It is possible that maybe the oil control rings on the pistons broke, but highly unlikely.

As Ngyun said, pull the fairings off of the bike, but start the bike up and let it idle. If there is an oil leak, you should be able to find it. My guess is either your drain bolt is loose, there's a small hole in the filter, or a leak somewhere else around the pan area. By any chance have you done an oil change and removed the oil filter by stabbing a screw driver through it? You might have nicked the oil cooler if you did and it could be leaking.

Don't run the bike with less oil either. If you've been doing that for a while, and it was like that from the previous owner, the rings may be damaged/worn out and letting oil pass the piston, but as I said before, it'd be blue smoke.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

^thats a negative....its hard to say with the smoke..since its only happening after running awhile in the twisties...and doesn't happen at idle ever. I'll pull the fairings, but i haven't seen any oil marks on inside of the lowers(other than the normal road grime). I always refill the oil back up to par...first time i refilled, i used 100ml this second time i used 400ml to refill. As far as th oil filter is concerned, i just used an oil filter wrench to remove.

Edit:
i"ll probably try and pick up a compression gauge tester today and give that a whirl, also probably checl the plugs today.

Last edited by Webb26; 11-18-2008 at 12:32 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Demented

Is the smoke coming from the exhaust?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yup...its not from an oil change....on decels, smoke just poofs out. NOt sure if you read that link i showed you, but the user NewRedRider stated that the poof of smoke was actually fuel being dumped...that might be the case, but i still lose oil somewhere.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Demented

Yeah, if it's white smoke on decel it's unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust and possibly water vapor. The engine isn't burning oil, so it's a leak somewhere else. It's got to be around the oil cooler, oil filter, or oil pan if it's not noticeable. There could be a small hole in the oil filter or it may not even be seated fully.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I'll go check right now...or see what can be seen visually...I'm really hoping that would be the problem.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if you can't find anything, just ride it as is- buy some cheap oil to top it off when you need to and just pretend you have a two stroke now. if it still runs fine, stop stressing- just ride !!

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page