What Sound Does a Starter Motor make? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
What Sound Does a Starter Motor make?

lol seems like a silly question, but what should the starter motor sound like by itself?

when i click my starter it clicks but no start.

so i hooked my battery charger directly to the starter motor and it makes a steady buzz noise but that doesn't seem right.

but i don't know what it's supposed to sound like. how do i know if the starter is running correctly w/ power?

thanks

"
Bring a spare clutch lever and drive it through his heart. It's the only way to kill a bike thief."-ZachRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
mine goes vroom!

just kidding man. I Don't think I have an answer for you... I have never taken the time to listen to it... good luck on the answer.

The DSLR Lounge ['(O)] - Ask questions about DSLRs and tell about what you shoot with!

mjoyphotography.com[/U]- My Photos - please comment
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i got my bike pretty new, at the time it was May 2006 and the bike was an 05 bought originally from a dealer sometime during the previous fall. I got it from some kid about 2 miles from my house who fell into some money somehow, him and his brother bought the same bike and both decided it wasnt their thing. he sold it to me with 82 miles, and at the time i didnt have a licence so i trailored it home. when i got home i fired it up (or atleast i tried) with no luck. i hooked mine up to an old battery charger, only to hear a constant buzzing/clicking sound with no turnover. turns out the bike was sitting in his garage for like 6 months. The voltage was low, and the charger just wasnt doing it. All it needed was a good charge to get going. I used my car as a jump*, after that it turned right over. For a cold start you will hear a sound similar to a car starting just a bit faster and a little higher pitched until the engine finally gets kicking. Depending on how long its been sitting or how cold a start, mine will typically turn over anywhere from 5-9 times (1.5 - 2 seconds) for a cold start. For a warm start, my starter will only usually turn over 2 or 3 times before the engine gets going, very fast maybe like 1 second or less.

*Before i finally went out and got a good trickle charger, I jumped my bike with my car battery. Im not recommending that anyone do this, and many people will tell you NOT to do this as it may be too much for your bike to handle. Though I have done it on several occasions without a problem but i guess frying your electric system would be a lot of $$$$ down the crapper. However, if you are impatient like me and want to try this, just make sure to NEVER run your car engine while jumping your bike. I have an 05 600RR so i cant make any guarantees that this will be the case for any other model bike.

Last edited by MTPR220; 08-14-2008 at 03:50 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
thats a good question. I dont know. i mean it sounds just like everyother started. But since the bike just starts up. I dont ever hear it LONG enough to actually be able to mimc it

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
"Ambition is just a poor excuse for people to not have enough sense to be lazy..."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Tripage has a video where he starts his bike with a headlight delay mod, ill see if i can find it for ya.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Knee Dragger

Take a look at this, its very short but pretty clear, almost like what i described as a warm start. probobly like 2-3 turns of the starter or something.

http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=bi004.flv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page