lost keys, tool and ignition question. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lost keys, tool and ignition question.

So hows everyone doing? im not fairing so well, i have lost both my original/spare keys. (I know, I know, spare me please)

Did i mention i do have my key tag #. because i do, i know this because i specifically remember telling my stepfather that im putting it in a safe place just incase i lose my spare. Now if only i could remember where that safe place was...

anyway, enough with my incompetance, i have a few questions about solving this problem. BTW its an 05 600RR.

1. Is it true that the ignition cylinder has the key code stamped on it?? this would be excellent, if so then problem virtually solved.

2. What is the actual name, and where can i easily obtain the tool to unscrew the ignition bolts? you know, its the hex(ish)-star shaped allen wrench of a tool.

Any help greatly appreciated. as of now, my baby is sitting in front of my girlfriends house. Her parents are eager to have it out of their way. I had a hell of a time moving it from the sidewalk to the driveway with the steering lock on. (Thank god for the kickstand-pivot maneuver)

thanks again all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Knightslugger

it's a torx tool, and you can get them at any hardware store that sells hand tools.

as for the stamping on the lock cylinder itself, i am unsure.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

be glad you don't have HISS !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

thanks, well now that i know what the tool is, finding out if the stamp is on the cylinder will be cake. would you happen to know the size for this bolt, is it english/metric? if anyone can verify this, that would be great, although ill probobly just buy a set of these anyway, so im sure one will fit.

as for HISS, i dread the day honda starts incorporating them in the states. im not the type of person that would benefit from their extra security, i need to learn to keep track of things before i take on that kind of responsibility. I lost my stepfathers altima keys once (the RF chip kind), he was convinced that he dropped them out front and the lawnmower got to them, but it wasnt until after he spent $600+ on a new key/ignition/doorlock/trunk set that i found them (almost 2 months later) sitting on a friends desk. I didnt even realize that i lost them (mustve borrowed the car one day). but i declined to inform him of my discovery, the new set was already paid for, no sense in stirring up painful financial mishaps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPR220 View Post
thanks, well now that i know what the tool is, finding out if the stamp is on the cylinder will be cake. would you happen to know the size for this bolt, is it english/metric? if anyone can verify this, that would be great, although ill probobly just buy a set of these anyway, so im sure one will fit.
they come in steps of 5. 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 and so on. i presume this is in millimeters. i do not know the size. small, that i know.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I was just informed by a friend that it may be a T40? so ill look for a set with that size.

thanks again
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Knightslugger

That's fuckin' huge. T40? i'd be surprised.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

believe it or not, t40 is the right size (for an 05 at least), and yea, its pretty big. but turns out ill be returning the set i just bought, because a target employee called my house today to inform me that my key had been found!!! (i called all the places i had been to the day i lost them and left my # incase anything turned up). Im taking a ride up to a locksmith tomorrow to get 3 more cut so this doesnt happen again. Oh and i called my dealer too, turns out they are the only ones in my area that dont keep key tag records with bike sales. they were also polite enough to inform me that i would be hard pressed to find a code stamped to the ignition cylinder, apparently from what they say. noone does that anymore to bikes for theft reasons. (but if you were going to waste all that time and effort to steal someones key code from their ignition to make a set of keys, wouldnt it just be easier to take the whole damn bike while your at it?)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Well, I'm in a similar perdicament that you were in before. However, I need to ride my bike NOW, and still have no key. Does anyone know definitively that there's no code on the cylinder? If there is one, how many digits is the code, and where is it stamped? Any suggestions otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page