Stripped screw and Air filter - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stripped screw and Air filter

Help me please. I'm attempting to change out my air filter and the only thing stopping me is the center screw of the air filter. It looks corroded compared to the other two screws. When I went to turn it, it stripped it. Now its stuck and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Demented

Get a screw extractor and get it out. You could also drill the head of the screw off and then just untwist the threaded part with your fingers once you get the filter out. Make sure to get all of the metal shavings out of the airbox.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
maybe its not on that tight and u can put a little wd40 on it to losen it up

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Any car or bike shop can take that out in 5-10 minutes real quick, with little or no damage to the air box. Otherwise pick up a screw extractor and do it yourself.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's tricky drilling the head off because it's a shouldered screw, the body is a lot wider than you think. I had to try and drill them out because they were way over tightened in the factory....but at some point the drill bit must have caught the screw slightly and spun the thread insert putting a split in the airbox housing grrrrrr.

So if you do go down the route of drilling it out do it very carefully, and make sure you cover everything up so no metal gets into the airbox or air filter.

2005 RR - Maxton Forks, HRC Race Bodywork, Sato (copy) Rearsets, Goodridge Brake Lines, Maxton Shock, HRC ECU & Loom, Akrapovic Race System, K&N Filter, PC3 mapped by Motrac, FW Racing V-stacks, Sprint Damper on HRC mounting, TL Quickshifter, Sigma slipper clutch, full Fast By Wayne race motor, Pace double-core race rad, 04 R1 radial master-cylinder, ZX7R reservoir, R&G Crash Bungs, Paintwork by Rage Designs ala Airwaves Ducati etc, NRC Stator Cover, DHC Kevlar clutch cover

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Alternate to drilling the head out use a dremel tool with a carbide rasp and cut a slot in the top and twist it out - again make sure yout prevent any metal shavings from entering hte intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page