Bike won't start - HELP!!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike won't start - HELP!!!!

I upgraded to LED signals in the front and rear. Added the resistors to the front so they'll blink. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Charged battery with a charger and it's fine. The problem is when I turn the key, the bike tries to turn on, but it doesn't start. It just revs but doesn't actually turn over. It's not the clicking sound of a dead battery, but the whining sound of it trying to start and not actually starting.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?!?!? I'm lost. I heard talk of the BAS but I have no idea what that is, where to find it, or how to fix it. I really would appreciate some help here. All I did was change the signals and now I can ride my bike!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 PM

When you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump. If you can't it is problely the BAS. Its located between your front headlights. I had the same problem when my bake got painted. I don't know whats inside there but my just eventualy fixed itself I think mine was sticky from being in a box for a month. You can bypass the sensor easily to. I've seen someone on here had a write up on how to do it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

WHat does the fuel pump sound like when you turn the key? Not sure what I should be listening for. It sounds exactly like it always sounds when I start it, it just isn't starting. It's a little higher pitched, but that's it. Please help with suggestions. I'm totally lost.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM

I had the same problem on my SV650. Shitty wiring caused it to short out, killing the bike every time I let off the throttle.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Put some gas in it.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
flip the red switch on the right handle bar and listen to the fuel injectors.
or
if its in gear pull in the clutch.

SOUNDS LAME BUT IT HAPPENS...

RIP PHATTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPS808 View Post
I forget my balls every trackday. thats why im level 1 fo life, ninja!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I don't think anyone is understanding my issues here. It has a full tank of gas. That's not the problem. It also has a brand new battery, just changed it, that's not the problem. It's not the kill switch or it's being in gear. If that were the case, nothing would happen when I turn the key.

I turn the key and it tries to start, it just doesn't actually start. I can't figure out why. It was perfectly operational before I installed the front turn signals. I put the resisters between them, got them working, tried to start the bike, and it wouldn't start. I have no idea why. It doesn't make any sense. I've checked all the fuses and that's not it. It tries to start and makes the noise it normally makes right before starting (although a little higher pitched), but will not start.

Any suggestions?!?!?!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Knee Dragger

take the resistors and stuff you did out and see if it works then?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Tried that already. That was the first thing I tried. It's weird because I hooked up the undertail eliminater and nothing happened like this. Then when I hooked up the resistors and turn signals, I haven't been able to start the bike. Even when I took them back off I met the same result. I don't get it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM

The fuel pump will sound like a high pitched whine and it'll stop after a second. It's not real loud so listen close. If you hear that go back and tripple check everything you did and the connections around whatever you touched. Don't just make sure the connections look good, make sure they are good connections. If the bike worked fine before you worked on it then it's something you did and it's gonna be so painfully obvious when you figure it out that you're gonna want to kick yourself.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
when you turn the bike to the on position and the red button is clicked down, to start, the fuel pump sounds like a this: imagine that the vents on your car were mechanical, now imagaine what that sounds like when it opens. It isn't a LOUD sound but you can def hear the pump. If it still doesn't work, again, try to put the bike in neutral. IF THAT doesn't work,

take your plastics off where you did the mods, and trace the wires. If you spliced them and tryed to rip the outer rubber off the wire, you could have pulled it to hard and shorted it out at the other connection or somewhere in the middle. If it is in the middle of the wire, you will see the coloring of the outer rubber kinda faded like it was stretched out

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
"Ambition is just a poor excuse for people to not have enough sense to be lazy..."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 AM

I did some work with my 600rr this past winter (actually replacing all the faring from last years last ride lol) and once i put every thing back on and plugged the ecu and lights and gauge cluster back in my bike did the same thing. so eventually i disconnected the battery and turned the key to the ON position , then reconnected the battery and it started right up. I think that the computer needed to reset or something
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaug14 View Post
I upgraded to LED signals in the front and rear. Added the resistors to the front so they'll blink. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Charged battery with a charger and it's fine. The problem is when I turn the key, the bike tries to turn on, but it doesn't start. It just revs but doesn't actually turn over. It's not the clicking sound of a dead battery, but the whining sound of it trying to start and not actually starting.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?!?!? I'm lost. I heard talk of the BAS but I have no idea what that is, where to find it, or how to fix it. I really would appreciate some help here. All I did was change the signals and now I can ride my bike!!!
Are you saying the bike cranks over but it simply does not fire and start? What do you mean by "it just revs"? If I'm interpreting you correctly, perhaps your starter isn't engaging the solenoid entirely??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page