Bike jump starts but won't run. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike jump starts but won't run.

I left my key on the other night thinking I was just running in the house and coming back out.....so now my battery is ****. I jumped it off and got it to crank, but as soon as I pull the neg. cable off it dies. Is my battery just shot? The bike is only 2 months old so the batter WAS new......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the bike won't run w/o the battery, so pulling any cable off will kill it....it's not like a car.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

the last i checked if u remove the battery terminal then the bike will die...beat me to the punch...the bike has to be running(driven) for a while to charge the battery back...letting it sit idling wont charge the battery...u neet to get a Battery Tender Jr. ..they are only about $35

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Should have specified - when I pull the neg. jumper cable off it dies, not the terminal. If the bike has to move to charge the battery how does everyone else jump off their bikes? Might be a stupid question, but I've never owned a bike before.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Im not sure what you mean by "jump off" but to charge the battery you can use a battery charger,I use a slow charge one with the correct amperage for our batteris in the spring sometimes or a trickle charger. I also use a battery tender jr (trickle charger.) both of these will charge your battery. If you mean jump start from another vehicle that is another story. I don't believe it is safe to jump start from a car/truck - I could be wrong bit I think iremember that was not a wise thing to do.

05'600RR Black

Two Bro's C2 S/O
Frame Sliders
MTEC H7 Replacements
Scotts steering Damper
Puig Light Smoke
Pazzo shorties
PCIII USB - custom map
OEM Cowl
DIY rear cowl mesh vents
DIY F/E
K&N Air Filter
Clear Alternatives lenses (amber bulbs) F&R
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you "CAN" jump start from a vehicle, but the vehical must remian off or it may fry you stator or more..i no from experience..lol

2006 CBR 600RR (Back from the grave) - V. Rossi Repsol Replica by Fullgearcycle - Michelin 2CT (street) - GC Flush mounts - DIY Fender Eliminator - Repsol 4T Synthetic oil - WPS Battery - Yoshi RS-5 - Scotts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I read numerous writeups online about how to jump from a car and all of them said to leave the car off, which I did. But if you google "how to jump start a motorcycle" there's plenty of information. I know I've read other people talking about their battery going dead and "calling a friend to jump them off". I'm confused by the fact that the bike has to be moving to charge. I have the bike on a trickle charger for tonight, but I'd still like to hear from somone who has jumped from a vehicle.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

Just push it down the street, kill switch on, like second gear, clutch pulled in, pop the clutch at the same time you push the starter and ride it!

R.I.P. Phattywhorefresh - 10.19.2010

"The lesson is that unbeatable superheroes only exist in movies." -Valentino Rossi

<--- me on the right

http://www.myspace.com/astars
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I actually tried push starting it first...3 times...each time I could get the engine to roll over, gauges lit up, then it would die. I live on a hill also, so I had plenty of speed. After pushing it BACK UP the hill 3 times, thats when I decided to just jump it off using my truck. I jumped it from the truck and it rolled over and sat there idling....until I took the jumper cable off. That was my original question.....did it die just bc the battery was so low. Either way, I borrowed a charger last night and it should be fine today. I just might not always have a charger and outlet handy and would like to know why jump starting and push starting didn't work for me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

You can jump a bike from any running car/truck/mower/moped anything with a 12volt system, I will not matter if the car is running or not, it's still 12-14 volts running or not.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was 12v with the engine off, but 12-14 with the alternator running. I read that the extra juice from the alternator can fry your electrical.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Good luck with charging it but if you left the lights on for too long, you may have deep cycled the battery. It will not properly hold a charge if you did this. I know from experience after my buddy left my lights on over night. I jumped it from my car but the next day it would radomly die. It is scary as s*** to have the bike die at freeway speeds and trying to pop the clutch to restart going 60+. If it is deep cycled the only option is to pony up for a new battery.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

when i said moving to charge i meant......when the battery dies then u jump it..dont just let it idle for 5 min and expect it to be fully charged..the bike doesnt charge that fast..it is better once the bike is running to drive it around for a little while to charge it back up...of course this doesnt matter if u have a battery tender which is always a good thing to get...from what i have read bikes dont put out enough voltage to charge and run the lights at the same time from a completely dead battery...that could be why the bike died when u took the jumper off...

Last edited by kphybrid; 08-22-2008 at 03:08 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Take the battery out and have it load tested at an auto shop - 190CCA (per sluggers often posted comments). If it tests out good check the ground off the battery - wire and grounding point, clean it up if there's corrosion etc then try it with the battery fully charged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page