Steering head (bearings?) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Jyn
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Steering head (bearings?)

I've been getting a knocking/clunking noise coming from my steering head whenever I hit a bump. About three weeks ago a buddy who works in service at a bike dealership tightened up the steering head nut.

Hit up a somewhat aggressive road today and on my way back home the noise started up again. Came into a turn-around, and unfortunately, lowsided the bike. Whether or not it was in any relation to the steering head, I can't say. But, I do know that my bars pulled to the inside and my front end washed out from under me.

The bike (05) only has 3500 miles on it, so I can't even see why the steering head bearings would be bad. In any case, would this be covered under warranty? If not, how much am I looking at to get them replaced? More importantly, does this sound like it could even be the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Demented

If it's clunking, it more then likely is the bearings, or maybe you're just hearing your chain on the bumps. Since it's an '05, the warranty expired over 2 years ago unless you bought it from a dealership and got the extended warranty.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Jyn
Banned

It's undoubtedly coming from the steering head. When it was tightened, the noise was gone.

And yeah, I've got an extended warranty. Pisses me off that something like this could fail so early on and put my safety at risk.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Demented

Done any wheelies? Those will make the bearings fail quickly.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Jyn
Banned

Nah, no wheelies.

I'm torn between what to do. I can have them checked out and tightened for around 60 bucks or buy the bearing kit and do the replacement with the help of some tech buddies.

buy the kit and find out they're good, get them checked and find out they're bad.

lose/lose situation. i simply don't see how they came loose again, or how they went bad in the first place with such little mileage.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Demented

Why not just check them yourself? Check to see if they wobble around inside of the races at all. If so, they're bad, if not, it's another problem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
What ever its supposed to be....

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hold the front brake on and bounce the front end. Do you feel or hear it moving back and forth? Or, just turn the front left to right without moving it up and down. Can you feel or hear anything? Could be loose again, maybe it was not tightened correctly. Could be a cracked bearing race or something if it was overtightened.

Either way, chit happens, Honda is good, but it's still a mass produced item. If you have an extended warranty and follow the proper procedure, seems like they should take care of it. Before you go you and buy new bearings, I'd at least remove the lower triple and inspect the bearings and races.

The steering head on my '03 kept going loose until I cleaned up the threads real good, torqued everthing just a bit extra and put locktight on the locknut.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Jyn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbord View Post
Hold the front brake on and bounce the front end. Do you feel or hear it moving back and forth? Or, just turn the front left to right without moving it up and down. Can you feel or hear anything? Could be loose again, maybe it was not tightened correctly. Could be a cracked bearing race or something if it was overtightened.
Pushing down with as much force as I can (sore arm from the lowside) and letting up with no pause, I can hear something.

Not easy explaining noises, lol. Basically, a deep "click click"

What's that a sign of?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Might be a fork spring on the shims - mine does that on one side pretty regularly - freaky as hell

To check the head bearings - support the front end of the bike in the air (bike jack and strap works good) and turn the bars left to right, if you feel anything bind or it feels lumpy they are shot and it's time for a new set of bearings and races. One other thing to check if you are so inclined - take the top tripple off and see if the stem nut and or lock nut turn freely and make sure the lock washer has all 4 tabs on it, and if you are going that far might want to see if the stem moves up and down at all - it shouldn't, had one guy put the top race on mine down in the neck instead of on top the bearings like it's supposta be
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Jyn
Banned

OK, all fixed up. I somehow was missing a washer/spacer in the steering head.

Appreciate the help.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i have a similar problem...happened after i crashed tho. it feels like the front end clicks and nudges forward a little bit(could just be a twitch from the clicking) i thought my left fork was messed up but wut does it sounds like?

"I'd Rather Be Fast On A Slow Bike, Than Slow On A Fast Bike."
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm having a simular problem. If I push down on the forks there is a clunking sound on rebound at the top of the stroke.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the bearing and check it out.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the clicking bit mine does isn't accompanied by any motion, just the noise - pretty sure it's the spring in the forktapping a spacer slightly - just noisy no real issue
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

my 07 shudders when I hit the frt brakes I do a lot of wheelies and I heard that that can damage the triple tree bearings so I think thats what my problem is
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evokilla View Post
my 07 shudders when I hit the frt brakes I do a lot of wheelies and I heard that that can damage the triple tree bearings so I think thats what my problem is
Also check your caliper bolts haven't backed out.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Pocketbike Racer

ok never thought of that I will check those thank you
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM
What ever its supposed to be....

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I could swear that my brake pads have made a clicking noise a few times in the past. With the front brakes on I would bounce the front end and hear a clicking noise. Only thing I came up with was that the brakepads were sliding just a bit and would hit the inside of the caliper. I had removed the metal clips that sort of hold the pads in place though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page