Front Brake - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Brake

Hey everyone im new to the threads and to the sportbike world i recently purchased a blue 04 cbr 600 rr and noticed that the front brake grabs so hard when i barely squeeze it im use to having a little bit more travel on it is there a way i can adjust it? and im not talking about the little turn dial that just pushes the lever out a little farther i mean the actual tension of the brakes some how
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to REAL stopping power - hehe

Assuming everything is working correctly, no there is no adjustment other than adjusting hte wiring between the ears to something designed to stop a 150mph missle in very little space
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

lol thanks ill keep it at slow speeds till i get use to it then lol

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Knightslugger

welcome to supersports. this is one of the many reasons we experienced riders say to buy a beginner bike before jumping on the first SS you see. the brakes are ridiculously powerful, and if you're not careful and deliberate, it will bite you on the ass...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

yeah ive lowsided on it already im learning that thanks for the input tho im gonna take it to an empty parking lot and get use to it before i take it on the road
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iranian45 View Post
yeah ive lowsided on it already im learning that thanks for the input tho im gonna take it to an empty parking lot and get use to it before i take it on the road
...you're going to trailer the bike to a parking lot?

save it. trailer it to your local track and ride it there... you'll learn a hundred fold more at the track than you will on your own (which just a bad idea anyway) in a dirty parking lot.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Knee Dragger

Slugger is dissing the MSF parking lot drills now 8-)p

clean parking lot with no cars isn't a bad way to get used to the brakes - take it up to 30-40 then shift down roll up and on the brakes till you get the feel for them at different stopping rates and for initial bite - after that I'd go Sulgger's way and head to the track, btw Slugger am I gonna see you at BFH next month?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Knightslugger

the trouble with doing it yourself (and effectively teaching yourself) is that you might be doing it wrong, or leaving a part of it out... and not know it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

well i have taken the msf class im just trying to get use to my bikes brakes because they are a lot different then the ones i learned on i could grab the brakes on the older bike i learned on but i can hardly touch these ones
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Knightslugger

which is why you should have started on a bike less capable... you're not used to how the brakes, and by extension the suspension and the rest of the bike's framework, co-operate. this is a fine example of one of the many reasons we flame the hell out of riders who choose Supersport bikes for their first bikes, MSF or not.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i couldnt pass up the deal i got on this bike so i went with it and im determined to learn how to ride it safe i havent taken this bike out of my apartments parking lot yet im not tempted to ride it stupidi mainly got it because of gas prices
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Demented

You haven't taken it out of your apartment's parking complex, yet you have already lowsided it? No matter how good of a deal you could have gotten on the bike, it would be well worth passing up. Either keep the bike and buy a smaller one to start on, sell it and buy a smaller one to start on, or hit up track schools, although without knowing how to brake skillfully, I doubt they'd let you on the track with others since it would be even more of a hazard then normal.

Hate to be mean, but it's just the truth. These bikes aren't meant for anyone to learn how to ride. They're made for people who know how to ride just because of the nature of how they're made.

Maybe go take the ERC course since you already took the MSF course.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Knee Dragger

I do tend to agree with the above on this - sane and survival does not generally include throwing a leg over what is basically a race bike for a first ride - that said however survival is possible - make a deal with yourself, first 3 months nothing over quarter throttle, regular braking practice and the panic stop drills after that (and to slugger's point get someone to watch you that does know what they are doing), at 6 months increase the throttle usage a bit, then in a year or so take a novice course at a track if you feel comfortable with the brakes, lean angles and throttle control - whatever you do, take your time
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

haha wait til u start messin around with it and learn to fishtail/powerslide IN----CREDIBLE!

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

thanks twilkinson sounds good i found some good parking lot practice stuff online as well from a friend of mine whats the erc course
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Never GRAB brakes on a motorcycle.

We always SQUEEZE the brakes....

LeoVince Exhaust Systems - Scorpion USA - Vortex Racing - Woodcraft CFM
'07 GSX-R600 - '05 CBR 600RR - '04 Ninja EX250 (sold) - '98 CBR 900RR
Nationally Licensed MSF Instructor
UtahSBA MoM #314
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
:happy1:

I'm waiting to see in the crash section "... was going around a turn, target fixating and then panic braking..."

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Knee Dragger

ERC = Experienced Rider Course, think MSF Basic but you ride your own bike, in your case likely worth the cash, paid practice time is way cheaper than street plastics
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

lol i agree i was planning on taking that course next spring its not offered here till then i just didnt know it was called that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page