ASV install - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ASV install

Alright guys, I got a simple question for you all. I installed my levers...but i can't seem to get a socket low profile enough to torque the nut. How are you guys doing this? Are you guys loosening the perch mount? And just rotating the perch? I mean i tightened down hand tight...but i have no idea if its on tight enough...I'm just going to ride..and try and tighten down once more...and we'll see were we go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stupid move! Heres comes a red light and my brakes MIGHT work? Get a closed end wrench or find something that might fit in. I know the screw is threaded into the perch and the nut just keeps everything from getting loose but with the high pitch vibrations that come from the motor, It may only take a minute to loose the nut and the screw. If you want toride motorcycles and live a long time, do it right or don't do it at all.

Sorry if I am too harsh but I know a lot of people that do things half way and when their bike doesn't work, they have me find and fix everything that they were too lazy to do.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah I just used a box end wrench to tighten down the screw. used my calibrated elbow to torque it to close to specs.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Stupid move! Heres comes a red light and my brakes MIGHT work? Get a closed end wrench or find something that might fit in. I know the screw is threaded into the perch and the nut just keeps everything from getting loose but with the high pitch vibrations that come from the motor, It may only take a minute to loose the nut and the screw. If you want toride motorcycles and live a long time, do it right or don't do it at all.

Sorry if I am too harsh but I know a lot of people that do things half way and when their bike doesn't work, they have me find and fix everything that they were too lazy to do.
Umm actually it wasn't half way.....5 ft/lbs is like nothing... I used a box end wrench...i was just wanting to torque it as closely to spec as can be so i don't bind the levers by over tightening. AS with everything, vibration will affect screws, bolts, and nuts...thats why its recommend to go back and re tighten(always)...please re read my original post before you go accusing me of half assing my work, and coming from a mechanical engineer background, half assing is the last thing i want to do...while you're at it...please read, ethics, honor, and pride thread...as this is the reason why that thread was created. I simply asked for a new approach to tighten to spec, not for a another user(with only 3 posts)to attempt to chew me out simply because you thought I didn't do the work 100%.

Edit for thread:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=113225

Last edited by Webb26; 09-12-2008 at 06:07 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM

if unsure that you have torqued it correctly reinstall with some threadlock on it.

I just use a spanner.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

^thanks forget to mention i did use threadlock(red i believe) I just wanted to know what alternatives others user have had luck with.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
World Superbike Racer

You said in the opening post, "I mean i tightened down hand tight...but i have no idea if its on tight enough...I'm just going to ride"

Posting on a website a lot doesn't mean that you know how to ride or work on your stuff! If you don't think I know what I'm doing, My 07 is completely disassembled and I've about finished rebuilding the engine. I've seen every part on my bike and have taken it apart. Posting on this site didn't teach me that.

I've been racing dirt and street bikes since '95. If you only take advice from someone who sits inside and posts stuff instead of riding, go ahead.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I never said i wouldn't take your advice...you just assumed, that because i said hand tight(which is a very loose term that might mean something different to you than it does to me)...that I half assed it. Not only that, but why would anyone be crazy enough to ride a motorcycle, or any vehicle at that, that would compromise their lives especially if it were already dangerous when up to par. You know I've raced enough to know that anything not up to par will either not last long, or not stay on. Just because I'm on this forum doesn't mean I just sit around waiting for guys online to give me advice, that's why there is a "use at your own discretion" type of term. Instead of boasting about how much you've had your bike apart, and how much you know about the mechanics of engine building and theory...you could put that knowledge to use and help others instead of putting them down simply because you want to.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
World Superbike Racer

If you didn't half a$$ it then just clarify what you meant or tell me that I interpreted what you said wrong. This isn't a fight and I have nothing to prove. I just wanted to let you know that I am qualified to speak.

I watched a guy at the track messing with his front brakes trying a new m/c. He couldn't get it to work right but he went out anyway. He then flipped his bike because he pulled the lever and had no pressure, then released and in panic pulled again. This time he had pressure. When I see stuff like that, I think it is better to insult someones intelligence rather than let that happen. I'm sorry for insulting you but at least I feel that you are safe and can handle your own.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I know its not a fight, my bad for not clarifying...yes i probably should have clarified, yes i probably should have tightened more than what i did, but I know it would suffice till i re tightened.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb26 View Post
but why would anyone be crazy enough to ride a motorcycle, or any vehicle at that, that would compromise their lives especially if it were already dangerous when up to par.
Are you kidding - have you read some of the questions on this site :headscrat!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

^haha well those guys are....crazy, lol.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
World Superbike Racer

True pete. One guy asked why his bike stands up straighter when on the kickstand after he lowered the rear suspension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page