'07 CBR600RR shutting off after first start.. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'07 CBR600RR shutting off after first start..

My Bike is new to me, '07 CBR600RR with 1387 miles.. It has no mods besides flushmount blinkers

ok guys pretty strange happening here.. & I think it is somehow linked to the kickstand sensor?? After the first start and about 1 minute of riding the bike shuts off.. however, I CAN start it in neutral only.. What I have to do is put the kickstand up and down a coupla times then it's fine for pretty much the rest of the day.. sometimes it will do it again.. idk wtf is going on with that, not too cool..

Second thing I guess I'll ask while I've got yall reading is... ok when I am at WOT in lets say 3rd gear I just feel like it's not climing to max rpm as smooth and consistent as it should.. IMO.. I feel like I just need to let the honda dealer service it or something idk.. how much would it cost for them to do full oil change.. and idk whatever other fliuds should be changed?? sorry guys I am a 100% noob with this bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Knightslugger

yes, sounds like a kickstand sensor switch issue to me, probably stuck open due to road grime or chain lubricant. you can clean it out with electrical contact cleaner, hopefully that will help.

as for your second question... you said so yourself, you're a noob at this bike... have a seasoned 600RR ridier take it for a walk (someone you know) and let them assess it. i wonder, how new are you to riding? is this your first bike?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

It's all good bro, we've all been there with being a newbie on a bike. If you aren't sure about something or doubt your mechanical abilities, it never hurts to go down to the shop or talk to an experienced RR rider and get a second opinion. We here will do our best to steer you in the right direction though! The only way to learn is to do it, however just don't get in over your head!

As far as your kickstand shut off issue, I would poke my head under the seat and check the connectors to the kickstand harness. I had one on my 900RR that popped off when I set a wheelie down hard, and the motor just cut out. Long story short did some splicing on the road, still no fix. Had a friend truck it home only to open it up and find the connector unplugged. Either that or you have a bad kickstand switch, which is possible, but not as likely. If you have a multimeter you can check it, but if you don't have much experience with electronics or access to a multimeter forget about it.

With your throttle lag, I would definitely change the oil, it's supposed to be done at 600 miles, but that's gone now. DO NOT put synthetic in that motor yet, wait till she's good and broken in (4000 miles or so) if you do decide to run it. If you've changed the oil on a car, you can do it with this, the owners manual even tells you how to do it. Be sure to use actual motorcycle oil (Honda GN-4 10W-40 preferred) as the transmission & clutch is bathed in the same oil as the motor. The other fluids don't need to be changed, but it wouldn't hurt to check the levels and make sure everything is topped off. (Brake fluid & anti-freeze, blinker fluid etc.) After you have that done, make sure the throttle cables are adjusted properly. They tend to stretch out a little with break in and you may not be able to pull the motor to WOT. If you grab your throttle, and there is play between the point you start turning it and the point the motor starts to rev up, you need to adjust it. To adjust that just locate the top throttle cable near the grip, there should be a turnbuckle with a 6 and an 8 MM nut. Back the 8MM nut off to allow the 6MM barrel nut to move. Twist it in the appropriate direction to tighten the throttle. You want it tight enough to allow an instant throttle response when you twist the grip, but not so tight that when you move the handlebars to full lock either way the idle of the motor changes. Once done, just snug the 8mm nut down onto the barrel and snug the two together.

Another thing that will cause lag and jaunty throttle/motor feeling is a loose chain. There is instructions in the owners manual for that, so I won't go into grave detail. I do it every 500 miles or so. Invest in a good set of tools and a rear stand with spools and you can save yourself a lot of time and money rather than going down to the shop all the time. It also gets you away from the nagging wife/girlfriend and lets you get to know your bike intimately. Good luck, let us know what happens!

!!!!STOLEN!!!! 2007 CBR600RR "The Scalpel"
Goodrich & Galfer steel braided brake lines, KR tuned slip-on, Michelin Pilot Pure's, Puig Racing Screen, Shogun no cut sliders, Minute Maid frame plugs, ProGrip grips, TechSpec tank grips.

Last edited by Trythatonforsize; 09-14-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: oops

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
put synthetic in it!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys I'll try the electrical contact cleaner for the kickstand issue and see if it does anything for me..

What octane fuel do you guys run?

trythatonforsize - thanks for your lengthy detailed response! I would like to go ahead and change my oil.. are you saying that I SHOULD use honda gn-4 10w-40?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Knightslugger

many people say to use a conventional oil for the first few changes... better wear in is the claim... unsubstantiated drivel i say... could be related to some foregone service on your part if you haven't done the first oil change yet...

as far as octane... i run 87 without issues, it's always given me better fuel mileage over high octane but lately it's been giving me worse, so i decided to give 91 a go and my fuel mileage is back up. i'm guessing it's because my local gas station has switched to a winter blend in the 87, and since most people don't buy 91 it's remained untouched.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

bought some oil and a filter to do the change tomorrow..

I've cleaned off my kickstand sensor area, and it seems to have helped but idk.. it still shuts off sometimes but not as much.. strange.. perhaps is my battery bad? Remeber my bike is a very early '07... '06 sept. production and only had 1057 miles when I bought it last Tuesday.. so it's virtually unused and just sat there for that long.. thoughts? does that help any?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Knightslugger

you could check the connector as well, just make sure it's all good and tight. watch the sensor turn, if it's slow or sticks that's your problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
you could check the connector as well, just make sure it's all good and tight. watch the sensor turn, if it's slow or sticks that's your problem.
k im gonna go check out both right quick thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page