Bike dies, brand new battery-Long - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike dies, brand new battery-Long

Well i recently took my bike apart to install a filter and power commander, iam pretty dad gum sure everything got plugged back in right so here goes. I went on a ride, about 20 mins into it i notice my guage display blacked out, no speed, rpm, tack nada. then the bike starts lagging, real choppy idle and dies. I try to start it and nothing, barely even trys to start the bike. I let it sit, go get a drink, come back and it is getting better. it tries a little more to start, let it sit a little longer and it starts. go about 20 yards and it dies again,same routine black guage, loss power etc. go on for this for a while and finnaly get to where it wont start anymore so i push it home almost 4 miles. so the next day i get a new battery and go ride today, bout 30 mins it dies again same thing although this time i was able to push start it enough times to get it home. it acts like the bike uses what battery life there is and after that is used it dies, ilet it sit longer i get more time running. The stator charges the battery so i am worred that the stator whent out. any other recommends. How would the battery charge itself back up by letting it sit if the stator was out? im incredibly frustrated and dont know what to do. Is there a fuse i need to check,and if so any other fuses besides the ones under the seat? I have also heard that it may be the rectifier?What is it, what does it do etc.

-AKRAPOVIC CARBON SLIP ON
-
BMC FILTER
-SHOGUN SLIDERS
-
PUIG BLUE DOUBLE BUBBLE & REAR HUGGAR
-
ASV SHORTY BLACK LEVERS
-
CARBON GAS CAP COVER, TANK PROTECTOR-
-POWER COMMANDER
-LUIMOTO SEAT COVERS
-R&G TAIL TIDY

Last edited by fmhscopeland; 09-15-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

13 people have read this and no one knows?

-
BMC FILTER
-SHOGUN SLIDERS
-
-
ASV SHORTY BLACK LEVERS
-
-POWER COMMANDER
-LUIMOTO SEAT COVERS
-R&G TAIL TIDY

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM

what map did you install in the PC.

Also check your plugs.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Knightslugger

they're probably waiting for me to pop in.

hi.

do you have an automotive battery charger? If so, charge it at 2A for 5 hours, bring the battery to an automotive parts store and tell them you need a load test. when they ask for the CCA, tell them 190. they will let you know if the battery is good, or bad.

if it's good, then you're going to have to test the stator coil resistance, which is not at all hard to do so long as you have a multimeter. set your multi meter to the 20 range, and test the resistance between each yellow wire coming from the stator. the values you're looking for is between 0.1 and 1.0 ohms on each lead. if that checks out...

Test the battery's voltage, install it in the bike, and start the bike. Once again, test the battery's voltage while the bike is running. this voltage should read higher than the test you made to the battery out of the bike. now turn the high beam on, and rev the motor to 5000 RPM. once again, test the battery's voltage at the RPM. it should be slightly higher than your last reading with the engine at idle, but it should not be, at any time, above 15.5 Volts.

if the battery checks out, it was probably a loose power connection that caused the trouble. recheck all your connections, clean them up and refresh them. come on back if your problem persists.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

KnightSlugger- i will go and check the stator coil, i recently bought a volt meter so it looks like it will come in handy. I don't see how it would be a plug problem since it runs tip top then the battery looses charge. I'm leaning to a bad stator or resister, more so the stator. Where exactly is the stator anyways? I know there is a stator cover on the side of the bike, so do i just remove that and look for the previously mentioned wires? Also i do not have an automotive battery charger, just a battery tender. I had them test my stock battery when all of this was happening the first time before i replaced my battery and i cannot remember the reading but he said it was a little low but not low enough to cause my problems. I've had it on the tender since yesterday afternoon so i will check it now that it is fully charged and see what the battery puts out with bike off, key on, trying to start lowest spot, and rev and get back with the info.

-
BMC FILTER
-SHOGUN SLIDERS
-
-
ASV SHORTY BLACK LEVERS
-
-POWER COMMANDER
-LUIMOTO SEAT COVERS
-R&G TAIL TIDY

Last edited by fmhscopeland; 09-15-2008 at 11:13 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhscopeland View Post
KnightSlugger- i will go and check the stator coil, i recently bought a volt meter so it looks like it will come in handy. I don't see how it would be a plug problem since it runs tip top then the battery looses charge. I'm leaning to a bad stator or resister, more so the stator. Where exactly is the stator anyways? I know there is a stator cover on the side of the bike, so do i just remove that and look for the previously mentioned wires? Also i do not have an automotive battery charger, just a battery tender. I had them test my stock battery when all of this was happening the first time before i replaced my battery and i cannot remember the reading but he said it was a little low but not low enough to cause my problems. I've had it on the tender since yesterday afternoon so i will check it now that it is fully charged and see what the battery puts out with bike off, key on, trying to start lowest spot, and rev and get back with the info.
no no, you don't need to remove the cover. the wires protrude from the cover. they feed to a harness, which eventually goes to the Regulator/Rectifier. disconnect that harness and test the wires from the Stator.

Not sure what you're talking about when you mention Resister though...

Please perform the tests as i've outlined, and do not divert from it unless you want a chiding from me...

the only reason you'd test voltage while starting is to see if you have an open circuit in the battery, and it wouldn't do any good if the bike started, so you'd have to figure out a way to crank the starter while keeping the fuel injection system off... which would be to hold the throttle wide open while cranking. again, this would only be useful if you could not get the battery properly load tested at an automotive parts store.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
they're probably waiting for me to pop in.
you want a burger you go to mcdonalds.

want your charging system diagnosed, well you know
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well straight off the battery tender the bike off put out 13.08, then running put out 12.03, was able to ride it home from where i stoed it and when i got home bike off was 12.45 and bike running is 11.88, the ride was only about 2 minutes so its dropping volts. Sounds like the battery isent getting charged while riding so its using up all the juice in the battery. would i have messed with any wires installing the power commander that i might not have gotten plugged back in right that causes the bike not to charge the battery while running?

-
BMC FILTER
-SHOGUN SLIDERS
-
-
ASV SHORTY BLACK LEVERS
-
-POWER COMMANDER
-LUIMOTO SEAT COVERS
-R&G TAIL TIDY

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not to take over your thread. but i have been having battery problems too. i did an oil change and the battery died out. i kicked started it and it was running fine for a week or so. i stopped riding it for 2 days and i tried to go riding but it wouldnt turn over. any ideas? i didnt mess with any of the wires.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
not only not charging but seems to be draining. since this was caused after your install, i'd go check for anything that might be grounding out for some reason. i doubt anything in your electrical up and went bad at the same time you installed your PCIII
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Knee Dragger

^ i agree..... something is grounding out from when you installed the pcIII.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Knightslugger

p3t3rc, i'll get to you in a minute, one bike at a time please. start your own thread in the troubleshooting section so i can take it one at a time. thanks.

's got nothing to do with the PC3. that's just something you cannot possibly screw up, it's plug and play. it's a charging system problem. if you don't know how to diagnose it, please stay out of it.

the battery is draining because the bike is using the energy from it while the charging system isn't outputting voltage/amperage to sustain it.

It doesn't sound like you tested as i suggested. I'm disappointed.

QQ, has the bike been crashed?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
p3t3rc, i'll get to you in a minute, one bike at a time please. start your own thread in the troubleshooting section so i can take it one at a time. thanks.

's got nothing to do with the PC3. that's just something you cannot possibly screw up, it's plug and play. it's a charging system problem. if you don't know how to diagnose it, please stay out of it.

the battery is draining because the bike is using the energy from it while the charging system isn't outputting voltage/amperage to sustain it.

It doesn't sound like you tested as i suggested. I'm disappointed.

QQ, has the bike been crashed?
tell that to ppl who break their idle adj knob, when their idle didn't need adjusting in the first place.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Knightslugger

totally different ball game. one's an adjustment, one's an installation.

i'm well aware of the shade tree mechanics out there, working in the sunlight.

i'm here to plant the tree at their feet.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
totally different ball game. one's an adjustment, one's an installation.

i'm well aware of the shade tree mechanics out there, working in the sunlight.

i'm here to plant the tree at their feet.
Good deal....Im on your side on this one. Keep up the good work KS.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well i took ya'lls advice and ran back through my install now that i got my bike back at home and well..... IM AN IDIOT, there was a part that i had to remove the alternating charging coil and the regulator/ rectifier cables to get to my tps and well there are two green grounds and i had the novel idea of adjusting hondas design and only ground one...haha, so i grounded them both up and started the bike with a voltmeter attached and it starts charging up just fine. I very much appreciate all of you guys help, this one you can chalk up to install/ user error.

-
BMC FILTER
-SHOGUN SLIDERS
-
-
ASV SHORTY BLACK LEVERS
-
-POWER COMMANDER
-LUIMOTO SEAT COVERS
-R&G TAIL TIDY

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thanks knight. sorry about that fmh
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

lmfao...hate to say it.....but i told ya so.......
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

with that being said, you live and you learn. at least you have the courage to work on your own bike and have this forum for any Q&A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page