Another bike wont start thread 03 600 RR - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Another bike wont start thread 03 600 RR

Ok so i just got my bike 2 weeks ago and It was starting fine the first week. One day(noob mistake) I was sitting in the grass gave it too much throttle and it slide out on the left side but i have frame sliders and it was in the grass. Turned the bike all the way off and it started right back up. So i go to get my bike the next day and it starts but i stall and try to start and it gets real sluggish and doesnt turn over. So i jump the bike and get it started. I go for about a ten minute ride and come back home and it didnt start back up. So i pull the battery go get it tested and that battery was dead. The battery that was in the bike was a 9BS so thats what i replaced it with that i didnt know it was supposed to be 10s. So my dad charges the battery and i come back the next day put it in fires right up. I ride through the neighborhood couple stall outs(noob once again) bike starts right up no problem. I rode for about an hour that day. Put the bike up and it sits for about a week, I go to ride it on tuesday and its fine until i stall out twice that day but within like 20 mins of each other needless to say i get the bike jumped get it home and its dead. I think i can hear what is the fuel pump priming and it sounds like it wants to start but just get sluggish and then does nothing. My head lights are on but very dim and my gauges come on but after holding the start button for a while the cluster just gets blank. So i charge it again and go to ride the next day ride a longer distance get all the way home crossing the road and stall(i know i know its a whole lot of stalling) and it just dies on me crossing the road. I dont know if its b/c i didnt use the right battery or if the rectifier or stator is going bad. I'm gonna try knightsluggers checking method gotta get a multimeter today. Also does it make a difference that my day is using a car charger versus a motorcycle charger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there's a known problem with the 03/04's and there charging systems. It was discovered that it was not sufficient enough to keep the battery charged after multiple start attempts. Having the wrong battery in there is probably not helping the issue.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yea when I got my bike it had the 9bs in there and didn't come with a manual I shouldve checked here first before I bought that one I hope they let me take it back and get the right one this sucks

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

*Update* Call my dad today get him to go outside and try to start my bike and it starts right up, wtf? Havent tested the r/r yet ill be doing that tmw.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Knightslugger

automotive chargers are fine, it's the rates that they charge at that could be an issue. anything above 10 amps is going to fry the battery really fast.

the issue with the 2003-2004 isn't that it's weak, it's that the mounting design is flawed. most people will roll around town doing 30 mph in 2nd gear. that's going to put a tremendous amount of ambient heat near the R/R, and since the R/R is facing the headers, it gets overheated after a while and fails completely which can cause all sorts of problems.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So me and my cousin tried to follow the procedure listed here http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf and we get to the end where we should get 3 equal AC readings of 50 or higher from the stator and we get 11 all the way across. And the we rev the bike to 5000rpm and the readings drop all the way across the board some im guessing its the stator.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Knightslugger

wow, i didn't think that was still up. huh. where the fuk did you find that link anyway?

sounds like the stator. check resistance and i'll bet it's out of spec too.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
wow, i didn't think that was still up. huh. where the fuk did you find that link anyway?

sounds like the stator. check resistance and i'll bet it's out of spec too.
I found the link by searching and searching thru the forum i didnt want anybody to give me shyt b/c i didnt search. Yea we came to the conclusion that it must be the stator. I went down and started the bike up and road it for 10 mins or so cut it off after a 20 min wait it started back up. My cousin came by and we began testing and the rectifier was testing good but the stator readings were way off im pretty sure we did everything right so im gonna try to get me a new stator. *Side note: as soon as we let the bike run with both headlights on until it got to 220 and the fans kicked on we shut it off and wouldnt start. I hope this new stator fixes it because this is my first bike and im dying to get some road time in.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Knightslugger

well, if your stator is bad and your reg is good, your voltage readings at the battery should be low. is this correct?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well my cousin was doing the readings he never said the battery readings were low i think it was 14.4 or .2 Dayum maybe we didnt do something right
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Knightslugger

yeah i'm thinkin' so....

get solid numbers from your cuz and i'll check this in the morning. i'm so god damn tired i could fall asleep right here at the desk.

I should really make up some kind of easy to read check list for diagnosing the charging system and post it up here. seems i do this a lot.

snoooooooooooooooore
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ONe thing i could think of before i went to bed last nite was when we tested the r/r it was supposed to be unplugged from the harness and we were supposed to get between .1 -1.0(numbers might be off) but with it disconnected from the stator we got zero and did not get a reading off of it until we connected the harness back together so that probably is messed up too. IF you think of some easier ways like you said let me know i wont be able to check it again until later today.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenyus View Post
ONe thing i could think of before i went to bed last nite was when we tested the r/r it was supposed to be unplugged from the harness and we were supposed to get between .1 -1.0(numbers might be off) but with it disconnected from the stator we got zero and did not get a reading off of it until we connected the harness back together so that probably is messed up too. IF you think of some easier ways like you said let me know i wont be able to check it again until later today.
you don't check the r/r for resistance. the resistance check is for the stator. when you split the connector, check the side that goes to the stator cover. check that first, or the R/R test (for voltage) will be worthless.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well i got my cousin to read over the thread and he said we performed the test properly but he mentioned that the rectifier can make a stator go bad so i was gonna replace them both. Do you think thats a good idea.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

will an 05 stator fit on a 03 im pretty sure it will but if someone could let me know before my auction ends in 40 mins i would appreciate it alot.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Knightslugger

got your PM, yes it will.

replace the stator first IF it's bad (if you're getting zero on the stator windings, it's out of range, there should be some resistance there). if the resistance is good, do the Reg test. if that's good, test the battery.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Aiite sounds good thanks for your help i will keep you posted after we replace that.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So i put the new stator in and checked the voltage that it was getting and i was still getting 10 volts with the bike at 5000 rpms. So i go ahead and put my 2006 rectifier on and let the bike run and try to restart it and it wont. I dont get it i checked some of the grounds before it got completely dark and cleaned them off. And nothing. With the bike at 5 grand i was getting 14 or so volts at the battery but once the temp rose i cut the bike off and it wouldn't start back up. I can hear the starter trying to turn over its clicking but after multiple tries the battery just completely dies. Im gonna take the battery to get it load tested i hope thats it im really getting tired of buying stuff. Im having the same problems before i put the new parts on.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So i am supposed to test the stator at the connection between it and the rectifier for voltage at 5000 rpms ? I dont know im trying to do everything i can to not have to take this to a shop.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well i went ahead and took the new battery back out the bike to go get it load tested i take it to advance and now they tell me that they cant test these battery and i was like well what the hell do you sell them for and why do they have a 3 month warranty well needless to say i got a new battery. I take it home and charge it for a while at 2amps/12 volts. We put in the bike fires right up. Let it run until the fans come on(which is usually where when we cut it off it doesnt come back on) and turn it off it fires right back up. After repeating this several times it keeps firing even with both headlights on. So im guessing it was the battery. I got another 9bs battery b.c they didnt have 10s at advance and my local honder dealer wanted 150.00 for the 10s. *But now sometimes when i start my bike the headlights wont cut on or when they are on and then i start they shut off and stay off. I hope my starting problem is solved i put the battery back on the charger to let it finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page