Training Wheel Hero
Join Date: Apr 2007
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 RR Won't start after warmed up, occurs intermittently
Sorry for being lengthy, but I just wanted to throw everything out there at once.
Bike mileage:6XXX miles
Fuel: Primes every time
Dash and Headlights: working prior to start
Trip Odometer and clock: reset after bike won't start
1. Bike has gone down on it's right side (low speed, visible fairing damage only) before I bought it from the original owner. However, I did not have this problem after I purchased the bike.
2. I went down on this bike on the right side (visible fairing damage only). From what I remember, I still don't think I had the problem yet prior to my fall.
1. Frame Sliders (installed after problem began)
2. Aftermarket flush mounts - single filament, LED. (Installed after problem began)
3. HID low beam from Xenonrider (installed prior to problem maybe...)
1. Bike won't start again after it's warmed up and shut off. Have been dealing with this for maybe a year now. Barely cranks the first time or two, then eventually only clicks and doesn't turn over at all. However, if I wait for it to cool down to say...130-140 degrees F (just a estimate), bike starts back up again perfectly. This problem does not occur every time (let's say ~50% for argument's sake)
2. I started using a battery tender because I read a few threads where a user kept stating that the problem is the battery needs to be kept at it's fullest for it to work properly.
Results: Seems to help some of the time (hence intermittent failure maybe?) but problem still exists. Once bike gets to normal operating temperature (180-220 F) and I shut off it and restart it, it just plain doesn't work, and that's even after a full overnight charge with the tender.
3. Bought a 2005/2006 regulator/rectifier (before I realized my 2004 r/r has the exact same design).
Results: Nothing has changed.
4. I took my battery to Pep Boys to have it load tested after taking it off the battery tender.
Volts Prior to Test: 12.83
Volts under Load: 13.52
Recovery Volts: 12.90
Conclusion: "Good Battery" as stated on my results slip
5. Followed Diagnostic Troubleshooting in my 2003 Service Manual.
A. Battery Test: done at Pepboys, battery is good
B. Current Leakage Test: Below 2.0 mA (0.8 I believe)
C. Alternator Charging Coil Inspection: resistance is 0.5 Ohms across the whole board and there is no continuity between terminals and ground.
D. Charing Voltage Inspection:
1. Measured Battery Voltage: 12.70 V
2. Measured Charging Voltage with Low & Hi Beams @5K RPM: ~14.07 V
3. Measured Battery Voltage (12.7) < Measured Charging Voltage (14.07) < 15.5 V...Check!
4. If Yes, service manual says "Faulty Battery"
5. I check R/R anyways based on manual, and everything is within spec.
6. Brought the bike to a service shop in San Jose, CA and had them perform a diagnostic for $80. Unfortunately, problem wasn't surfacing while they had it. Gave me the thumbs up on the charging system (not really sure if they really diagnosed it since they were skeptical I was having a problem). Took it home and played around with it...problem resurfaced.
Now...from the results I got from the troubleshooting, is it just the battery or could it be something else (i.e. connection, short, etc) that I haven't checked.
If it's the battery...would it make sense that it starts working about after the bike cools down?
Thanks in advance everyone!