Headlight troubles **It was the starter switch ** - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight troubles **It was the starter switch **

Alright so to start I have a 2004 CBR600RR 16K miles. It has never been down and is well maintained. Alright to the problem. My headlights started acting weird a few weeks ago. I start the bike and my headlights both work for about 10 seconds or so and then they shut off. It did that about 95% of the time. The other times it would either work or it wouldn't. So I figure it has to be the headlight relay. So I replaced the relay. Same problem. Now I believe the problem is within the starter switch. If I turn the key on (with the kill switch in the off) and the low beam isn't on, I can push the starter button and the headlight will come on. I have searched the forums, my service manual, and parts diagram and I can't figure out how to get the switch assembly apart or what it looks like inside. I know there are the two screw in the bottom but other than that I'm clueless. Any advice, pictures, or diagrams to help me solve this problem would be awesome.

Thanks, Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Maybe a bad headlight switch. Strange. Any body work install, removal? Something pinched. I would start with the switch. Get the cover off and you can meter power from there and see where the bad spot is. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First, a new (or at least new to you) one is cheap on ebay. Like $10 or so I'm guessing. If you want to fix the one you have, Your manual has a wiring diagram and shows the switches inside the assembly. (this won't show you how to put it together)

The starter button actually turns off the lights when you start the bike. I don't know how much you know about electrical but the switch has really 2 switches inside, A NO (normally open) and an NC (normally closed)

With the switch in the normal position(your thumb not pushing it) the switch for the headlights is the NC one(normally closed...complete circuit...lights on) and the starter is the NO one. So your lights should be on and starter not not cranking.

When you push the start button and they both change. The NC switch to the headlight will be open and the lights will turn off, the NO switch to the starter will be closed and the starter will be cranking.

Let off the switch and everything goes back to normal... lights on and starter not cranking. Look at your manual and maybe this will make more sence. (wiring diagram part)

Sorry, I just realized that the switch and throttle are one on this bike so maybe more than $10 for a new one. ?

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

It's not the headlight switch because when the lights do come on the switch works just fine. And I haven't done any body work on it in quite some time so I doubt it is a pinched wire. I understand how the starter switch works electronically/mechanically I was just curious if anybody had some pictures or advice on how to take the the switch assembly apart. I took the two screws in the bottom out but it seems like there is something inside that is holding the assembly from coming apart the rest of the way. I'm sure that there is nothing I can do to fix the switch and should just buy a new one but the parts websites will only sell the entire switch assembly for $50 and change. Didn't know if somebody had found a way to fix their switch before buying a new one. Thanks for all the replys, I appreciate the help.

Thanks, Jordan.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was only talking about the start button, not the headlight switch.

I don't think the kill/start switches come in half. I think you have to take the throttle off and then slide the switches off.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dcope. The other guy was talking about the headlight switch. But I'll take a better look at it, your probably right.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Check the bulb adaptors ( black part that is between the connector and the bulb itself) for signs of electrical shortage ( white spots ) that is common to happen even if u are using 55 w bulbs

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I think I found the solution. Thanks for all the help people.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz0888 View Post
I think I found the solution. Thanks for all the help people.
Awesome man please share the solution
this is how we gain exp and knowledge
thanks man

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Turns out it was the starter switch. Unfortunately on the 04 the throttle cables are inside the switch housing making replacement a real pain. Should have bought an 05 (throttle cables were moved outside the next year). Thanks again.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Back in the Day

JZ
Thanks for the update man glad you got it all worked out

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz0888 View Post
Turns out it was the starter switch. Unfortunately on the 04 the throttle cables are inside the switch housing making replacement a real pain. Should have bought an 05 (throttle cables were moved outside the next year). Thanks again.
What exactly was it with the starter switch. I know that that particular switch has two parts a base and a contactor that can come apart but that would also cause your bike not to start. If you take the switch housing apart you can see if the starter switch contactor is just sitting in there or maybe cocked. you should be able to snap these two pieces back together. You'll have to remove the wire routing plate from the bottom part of the switch housing to do this. it's only one screw but easily done.
Just a correction to your post. the 05/06's also have the throttle cable installed inside the starter switch pod. they didn't change that until the 07+'s.

I have a post on here in the troubleshooting thread that shows the two parts of the switch and how they go together. Check it out if you need some further assistance.

Last edited by scoRRpion; 10-16-2008 at 01:52 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Op the same thing was happening to me i opened the switch to see if anything was loose and it wasnt so i put it back together and it hasnt happened im guessing something may have been pinched in my case tho.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Just to add to this problem. I had something similar happen except i lost all my lights except when using the pass switch (Aus delivered). Turned out to be the black with red dash's wire (incoming power) to the starter switch (headlight part of switch), lifted off the solder pad. Im guessing it got too hot and wasnt the best joint to begin with.

The solder left on the pad was smooth and shiny, so it didnt look like it snapped off from vibration or anything but actually from reaching melting point. There is also other signs of excessive heat damage in there as the wire that layed over the one in question had a brown burn mark on it where it was making contact.

So much for fuses protecting wiring hey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page